Private shunters on BR metals?

TomJ

Class 03 D2138 was often allowed to run light from Pye Hill Colliery in Jacksdale, Notts to Toton for maintenance. When it was out of use during the closure of the pit after the strikes it was given to the MRC. Should have been moved by road. Ended up being run from their exchange sidings with a few wagons in tow late at night negotiating the 4 running lines that made up the Erewash Valley and on to MRC metals. I think bribing Trent Box back then only took a few bottles of ale.

D2138 never made it into blue livery and was withdrawn before the TOPS system came into use. It wore its orignal paintwork right until it was preserved at the MRC. Was repainted in original style in 2008. Sadly it is now stripped down in the workshops due to its power unit having a disagreement with moving 11 MK1's.

When the MOD depot at Chilwell was still rail connected in order to "even out" the tyre wear on the MOD shunting engines they would run under there own power from Chilwell to Nottingham and be "turned" on the Mansfield Junction - Lenton North Junction - Lenton South Junction triangle and then head back to Chilwell. The MOD depot lost its rail connection in the early 1980's.

A significant number of ex BR shunters ended up in industrial service after being withdrawn by BR and could very often be seen in exchange sidings and yards. Here is a few from the 1970's

http://pics-by-john.photoblog.org.uk/p47522636.html

http://pics-by-john.photoblog.org.uk/p47522628.html

http://pics-by-john.photoblog.org.uk/p55408589.html

Occasionally one would turn up at a BR depot for repair or tyre turning and would sometimes travel under there own power if able and the distance was short.

http://pics-by-john.photoblog.org.uk/p56688447.html

Middlesbrough goods has a daily sharing of BR metals with private locos. A V Dawson have a fleet of mainly ex BR 08 shunters that shunt alongside the Freightiner and EWS/DBS66 locomotives. In the photo you can just see the 66 top right. I have pics of the whole AVD fleet if anyone needs them. In addition there is an industrial locomotive that shunts the Potash wagons that Freightliner bring in just visible far right.

I also have shots of an ex BR 07 shunter sharing BR metals at Peak Forest.

Mike Wiltshire

post-9992-021372000 1288944559_thumb.jpg

post-9992-001637600 1288944597_thumb.jpg

Here are some shots taken at Machen Quarry where the minimalist track layout is shared by the Hanson shunter and the DB(S) mainline loco working up the branch from Park Jct. (Newport). I don't know what demarcation there is (if any).

In the first shot is D2199 about to give brake van rides in an EWS 'Queen Mary' borrowed from East Usk yard for the Quarry Open Day several years ago. Hanson also brought a Cl.59 and a couple of hoppers over from Westbury for the event.

The second shot shows D2199 stabled for the weekend (Sat. 1st. October,2005), after the Saturday working from Westbury had been loaded and despatched to Allington (?) and a Cl.66 top 'n' tailed excursion ran up the branch. Shortly after the 03 suffered a chatastrophic failure and was whisked away.

Nowadays the resident shunter is 08787 masquerading as 08296.

Brian R

post-1599-066100600 1289001329_thumb.jpg

post-1599-012670400 1289001580_thumb.jpg

post-1599-007802800 1289001966_thumb.jpg

I was told by a signalman that the three shunters from Papworth's at Ely North Junction came out onto the mainline and round the West Curve to turn them occasionally. All the curves in the depot all go the same way and this was done to even out flange wear. I will have a look for photo's of the shunters to see if i can find one of them facing in opposite directions.

I remember walking into the goods yard at Ely station and seeing an 04 in the yard. The next day it moved to Ely North Junction under it's own power.

Thanks guys for all the replies and photos. Very much appreciated. It definitely seems I can justify a 03 on my mid 80s layout as a private shunter that borrows the BR tracks from time to time. As I said earlier even when I make up scenarios I like them to be grounded in some sort of realty

Again many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

When the MOD depot at Chilwell was still rail connected in order to "even out" the tyre wear on the MOD shunting engines they would run under there own power from Chilwell to Nottingham and be "turned" on the Mansfield Junction - Lenton North Junction - Lenton South Junction triangle and then head back to Chilwell. The MOD depot lost its rail connection in the early 1980's.

Never knew that! Do you know what sort of loco? Any pics?

Occasionally one would turn up at a BR depot for repair or tyre turning and would sometimes travel under there own power if able and the distance was short.

http://pics-by-john.photoblog.org.uk/p56688447.html

Rumours went round school that an 03 was at Toton, so when the weekend came bunked round the depot and saw it, D2138, on the wheel lathe. Very grubby BR green livery.

(Edit) Just seen Sam's post above about D2138. Didn't realise it was the same one that is now at Butterley, never thought that the grubby green thing would still be around 35 years later...

It used to happen in the Scunthorpe area with British Steel locomotives and rolling stock authorised to run over BR metals, not only sidings but running lines also, some of which were operated on a frequent basis and were included in the working timetable. These were mostly iron ore trains but there were also other workings such as molten metal carried in "torpedos". BR engineering staff would examine the rolling stock used on such operations periodically to ensure compliance with laid down specifications.

The North Lindsey Light Railway is/was a fascinating operation!

Much of the operation, I think, was allowed as it had been ongoing for some time - in many ways the industrial and mainline workings were mixed together to the extent there was no real difference between them. Some of the current Tata staff still remember the workings.

I have a real fascination with the whole of the Scunny railway scene and have some wonderful memories of 'current' network there. Great stuff :)

post-6977-060649200 1290592461_thumb.jpg

In August 1973 the colliery engine at Bickershaw went down to the end of the BR single line at Springs Branch to return wagons to the colliery after a local tripper had run through the traps.

post-6977-008624600 1290592834_thumb.jpg

And when the 0-6-0 steamers at Bickershaw were replaced by diesels, they were delivered under their own power from Vulcan Foundry by rail.

Tom.

• 4 years later...

OK, slightly confused here...

I note from p90 of '150 years of the Hertford and Ware Railway' (ISBN 1-873468-18-0) that Rye House Power station ran an ex-BR Class 03 shunter (at least it looks like one to me, showing the raised bonnet section in front of the cab etc) but asserts it was once D2279.

Now, 'D2279' is preserved and is definitely an 04, so my supposition is that the book got it wrong. (Update: the book got it wrong; it seems it was D2041 now preserved at Colne Calley) All I wanted to know was what colour was the Rye House engine painted (looks like orange with a red and yellow logo on the cab side). Or was it this nasty looking green...?

post-6357-0-87984500-1442761105_thumb.jpg

Anyone any ideas...?

Best,

Marcus

Both D2041 and D2279 went to Rye House Power Station, where they became nos. 1 and 2 respectively.  The former came via Richborough Power Station (Kent), the latter directly from BR (Colchester/30E).

in addition to D2041 at Castle Hedingham, D2279 is preserved nearby (as 11429) at Chappel & Wakes Colne.

Most of the above comes from the IRS Handbook covering Hertfordshire and Middlesex.  No livery information, I'm afraid, but I'm sure the IRS group or the preservation societies might be able to assist further.

Both D2041 and D2279 went to Rye House Power Station, where they became nos. 1 and 2 respectively. The former came via Richborough Power Station (Kent), the latter directly from BR (Colchester/30E).

in addition to D2041 at Castle Hedingham, D2279 is preserved nearby (as 11429) at Chappel & Wakes Colne.

Most of the above comes from the IRS Handbook covering Hertfordshire and Middlesex. No livery information, I'm afraid, but I'm sure the IRS group or the preservation societies might be able to assist further.

Hence the confusion, now eliminated by your answer, so thank you for that. IRS* handbook? Over here that is something to be avoided at all costs (the emphasis being on 'costs')...

Best,

Marcus

* that would be the Internal Revenue Service = 'taxman' in English (roughly translated as 'daleks with biros')

IRS handbook? Over here that is something to be avoided at all costs (the emphasis being on 'costs')...

I usually quote sources for information, because I think it helps you (and anyone else who might be interested) in their research.

Quite appreciate that postage costs to the USA are prohibitive and render it infeasible to buy a book just for a small excerpt.

The United Steel 0-6-0 diesel electric engines 1381 and 1382 built by Yorkshire Engine Co.(YE2871 & YE2872) for working in Colsterworth North and South quarries were allowed to traverse the BR High Dyke Branch for the purpose of getting from one quarry to another. There was a similar shunter 765/10 (YE2744) based at Easton Mine which would also use BR metals between Burton Lane and Colsterworth for maintenance purposes. This was later renumbered 1383 and sent to Colsterworth when Easton Mine closed prematurely through flooding.

I remember reading somewhere that when MSC operations at Cadishead ceased, the remaining MSC locomotives were allowed to run on BR metals to Trafford Park to rejoin the rest of the MSC system as the MSC 'main line' along the banks of the ship canal had gone by this time. My memory is telling me some time in the 1980s for this move, but I cannot remember where I read it.

Archived