MN&S / Progressive Rail Blue

F-UnitMad

I've been taking an interest in the Progressive Rail Shortline recently, whose main livery is based very closely on the old MN&S, who's routes it now serves.

Does anyone have any idea what shade of blue the MN&S / Progressive Rail locos and stock are painted...? Is it close to another Railroad's colour, which might be available in the Floquil/Polly S ranges..?

PGR #42, SD38-2:- http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2044150

PGR Boxcar #2743 :- http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=300019

Many thanks for any help..!! :)

Jordan - there was a coverage in (I Think) Model Railroader or RMC about Prog Rail - I have a copy somewhere - do you want me to dig?

Jack you have a PM...

MN&S colours included here, but note the disclaimer in the first line.

Wow that is some list !! Thanks for posting!!

Olddudders; yes, I take your point!! :D

Thanks guys!!

Looks a bit like NSE Dark blue...

Don't laugh, i've used Precision Paints Post' 84 BR warning yellow for UP Armor yellow, and a Union Pacific Historical Society official thought it was one of the best matches he'd seen.

You're right Trevor; the list link posted above by Ph says BAR Blue is a good match. :)

In the photos the locos look darker than the freight car ...probably just the light and angles..but having looked at a BL2 that I have repainted in BAR blue,it looks darker,but it was on a black loco...so maybe if you do any repaints give them a coat of white primer to lift the shade of the blue a notch or two...and just to put the cat among the pigeons ..I have 3 BAR blue model locos ...my repaint,a Proto BL2 and a Stewart F3 ....yup you guessed it ...each is a different shade ... :aggressive_mini: such are the joys of model paint colours .......

by the way MJ had some BAR blue in stock the last time I looked..

Regards Trevor ... :D

..I have 3 BAR blue model locos ....yup you guessed it ...each is a different shade ... such are the joys of model paint colours .......

Oh don't I know..?!? :D :rolleyes: I had fun trying to get the right shade of "Soo Line Red" some while back... :angry: even Stateside Soo Line Modellers use other colours like Santa Fe Caboose Red..!!

I had noted the difference in colour between the PGR locos and boxcars; I put it down to sunlight/saturation at first, but then the small building behind/left of the locos is a lighter shade of blue :unsure:

The thought occurred to me that maybe the locos had a dark (black?) primer, and the boxcar a light (white?) primer... causing the same effect as on your models, maybe..?? :blink: :) B)

Or do words like "straw" and "clutching" come to mind...

Next Question is where to get PGR Decals from... :(

The only link I've found so far is to "Scale Rail Graphics" who stopped production a while back and have sold out in HO...

Then again I fancy a PGR loco in O scale... B)

I had noted the difference in colour between the PGR locos and boxcars; I put it down to sunlight/saturation at first, but then the small building behind/left of the locos is a lighter shade of blue :unsure:

The thought occurred to me that maybe the locos had a dark (black?) primer, and the boxcar a light (white?) primer... causing the same effect as on your models, maybe..?? :blink: :) B)

Or do words like "straw" and "clutching" come to mind...

LOL

Maybe the paint on the building, whilst clean, is a few years old and has faded...?

To my eye this pic has a good white balance judging by the snow, it's a little lighter than that first image?

http://www.rrpicture...aspx?id=1064928

Either way it suggests to me that you're better off just getting a dark-ish blue that looks right to your eye than getting too hung up on what the exact shade is. ;)

Nice classy livery BTW - are you talking an O gauge one? :)

(Edit - sorry just picked up the bit in the last post!!)

even Stateside Soo Line Modellers use other colours like Santa Fe Caboose Red..!!

LOL - Proto painted their SD60s in maroon and cream... :blink:;)

• 4 months later...

Archived