Let 'em roll.....! USA

sunshine coast

There was something curiously hypnotic about those! It took me back to photography expeditions, standing at a grade crossing, after you'd taken the picture of the engines, it was interesting to observe the train roll by, giving it the once over for any kind of problems, but also looking for anything new in the way of paint schemes and so on. Despite the lack of scenery, it was curiously attractive, the only thing lacking was the boxcar that had a curious roll to it, generally an empty it would be swaying quite alarmingly. There was usually one in every train, or so it seemed.

Dear RMwebbers,

...and who said HO tracks didn't have a evident "clickety clack" of wheels over railjoints like the prototype do?

This here's a live-fire example of why having _noisy_ benchwork may indeed be a benefit to 'having fun" with one's trains... ;)

(Mute the sound, and try watching the clip again, somehow not as hypnotic/attention-holding, is it?)

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

You're absolutely right, Prof. I did it the other way around and had my speaker's off the first time I watched it so went back to it - very good, very impressive, even some nice rail swoosh- it has persuaded me not to use cork or underlay on my next project though as I will be trying rigid foam insulation at .5 inch deep as a top it will be moot.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I'm gluing my track direct to the 6mm plastic (think building site 'wear your hard hat' signs) that forms the baseboard top for my embryonic US layout. Part of the thinking was that trains running on tracks are noisy things - mind you, it's only a switching layout but, far from wanting quiet trackwork, I want the baseboard to amplify the sound the trains make.

As I'm making my own trackwork the rail joints will also be staggered as per vintage US prototype.

Archived