ANOTHER COACTING SIGNAL

Here are the beginnings of the Slow Line Co Acting signal for Little Bytham. As you can see it is to be formed from two of young Andrew's etches stitched together. Early days yet but from "Little acorns grow mighty Oaks" or so they say. I will have to knock off soon, and not long before the "Big Trainset" calls. Whatever, another item for the toy box next weekend. Best Wishes, Mick.

post-702-045042600 1289069402_thumb.jpg

post-702-009215000 1289069415_thumb.jpg

Mick,

Are the two parts of the MSE posts designed to go together, or have you fettled two unrelated etches to achieve the one post, please?

Thanks.

Young Andrew tells me the two etches are designed to fit together. Even so, an amount of fettling/fitting is called for. Both posts need to be shortened by a small amount, this to remove the etched "Strips" top of one post and bottom of the other. See attached picture. The post as since been completed, depending on the weather, I will try for a better outside shot tomorrow. Best Wishes, Mick.

post-702-031193200 1289318770_thumb.jpg

HI Mick

I have worked out how you do these signals....you just shrink down real onesbiggrin.gif

Again an amazing bit of work you have done , Can you tell me what is a Coacting signal,and what was it use for?

Keep up the good work ,I will follow this one .

All the very best

Darren01

HI Mick

I have worked out how you do these signals....you just shrink down real onesbiggrin.gif

Again an amazing bit of work you have done , Can you tell me what is a Coacting signal,and what was it use for?

Keep up the good work ,I will follow this one .

All the very best

Darren01

Darren, both arms work together, the top arm is for siting from afar, the bottom when close up to the signal. Typical use is when a bridge spans the railway and would obscure an arm at normal height. Mick.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, thanks for your kind comments, another one done. Not being familiar with the area, I wonder if the two "Co acters", particularly the "Main" line one as modelled were the same signals encountered by Joe Duddington and Tommy Bray on that epic Sunday way back in July 1938? Best Wishes, Mick.

As an aside, a picture of one of very few, if any more, remaining coacting semaphores is here:

Thetford Railway Station

quote....

Can you tell me what is a Coacting signal,and what was it use for?......

If you watch the 'passing through Wymondham, a driver's eye view' video clip you should see where, in my opinion, a coacting signal is really needed. There isn't one, of course, but as you approach the station the signal is all but hidden by the footbridge. It's almost impossible to see that signal lamp at night, when checking before despatch. The driver at the front of the train is ok as he can see it under the bridge, but the guard looking through the latticework....

Video clip here:

http://www.wymondham-station.com/index.php?f=data_station_history&a=0

Dear Peter, I, when practicable work from drawings, in later years, most LNER signals were more or less standard, and for example provided for posts varying in length by 2ft 6ins increments. Ideally, when making an actual signal the "Sighting Diagram" is called for, and this beyond doubt will give the exact height and placing of the signal. Obviously, the chances of finding one is almost nil, but nevertheless, I have many in my collection. I did strike lucky once, and I have most from Botanic Gardens, Hull, one of the Hull club's layouts. Best Wishes, Mick.

Archived