Price comparisons

Charlie

One recent press release said, “For retailers, a lack of real-time intelligence on their most competitive products can prove costly from both a campaign and financial perspectiveâ€.

That's very good. What does it mean in Englishwink.gif

• RMweb Gold

That's very good. What does it mean in Englishwink.gif

It means if you are a multi million pound turnover business it's good to know whats happening on a minute by minute basis, I would venture that all model shops fall outside of this

Living in Peterborough I have Trains4u on the doorstep and use them for 95% of model railway stuff. I could probably save some money when it comes to locos and rolling stock but when I need a tin of paint or tube of glue on a wet saturday afternoon I can just nip in the car and within 10 mins they are in my hands.

For a few years before Trains4u opened Peterborough had no model shop, the nearest one was 45 mins car journey away or there were the swapmeets around every 8 weeks. When all I wanted was a tin of paint it just didn't happen. This is when you get to appreciate your local Model shop

The moral of the story ---- Look after your local model shop and they will look after you.

Having said that I do subscribe to several newsletters and if some very special offers come along then I have been known to succumb. Sorry Gareth.

• RMweb Gold

The moral of the story ---- Look after your local model shop and they will look after you.

Having said that I do subscribe to several newsletters and if some very special offers come along then I have been known to succumb. Sorry Gareth.

Agreed, support your local shop or they wont be there when you do need them. That said, although T4U aren't my local, I did buy Gareth's sprinter limited ed.. :D (which I really must get round to fitting with a decoder, see the 'motivation' thread)

Andi

Living in Peterborough I have Trains4u on the doorstep and use them for 95% of model railway stuff. I could probably save some money when it comes to locos and rolling stock but when I need a tin of paint or tube of glue on a wet saturday afternoon I can just nip in the car and within 10 mins they are in my hands.

For a few years before Trains4u opened Peterborough had no model shop, the nearest one was 45 mins car journey away or there were the swapmeets around every 8 weeks. When all I wanted was a tin of paint it just didn't happen. This is when you get to appreciate your local Model shop

There is absolutely no need to apologise.

I know we cannot always offer the same prices and offers available elsewhere, but then, we sometimes have offers and deals that others don't.

I'm not going to judge anyone's spending habits as each is motivated by different criteria and has to do what is best for them.

At the end of the day, we are doing something that the customers like as they are spending lots of money with us, despite us not being right up there at the cut-throat end of the pricing game. - hopefully it's the service and "Value-add" activities (Like free decoder fitting) that makes the difference.

We do what we can but we compete on different terms to the box-shifters. we work to a different philosophy. - besides, I have a good idea of just how much more stock I would need to shift to make the same profit if selling at box-shifting margins, and it is quite sobering.

Interesting pictures in the December edition of the Hornby Magazine pages 126 + 127 showing the interior of the new distribution centre for Hattons Model Railways. Model railway products retailed but on scale normally associated with wholesale distribution on a B2B industrial level!!

Archived