Matt's Hornby Crane detailing thread. Now starting on Mk2!

angell328

Hi Matt,

Few teasers for your crane, doing a basic copy of the Mk1 with a few tweaks!

post-4966-0-24663500-1392842894_thumb.jpg

post-4966-0-62333900-1392842907_thumb.jpg

post-4966-0-45520600-1392842922_thumb.jpg

post-4966-0-26514100-1392842938_thumb.jpg

Biggest change so far is I am making a pocket in the match wagon for the jib to sit in.

Few questions for you buddy, what couplings would you like on the crane, large tension lock as built, small tension lock NEM type or 3 link?

Shall keep you updated with tweaks and am doing the drawings for Mk2 as well, so will be some progress on that coming up shortly!

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt,

Few teasers for your crane, doing a basic copy of the Mk1 with a few tweaks!

attachicon.gif20140217_005546.jpg

attachicon.gif20140217_005601.jpg

attachicon.gif20140217_011715.jpg

attachicon.gif20140217_021854.jpg

Biggest change so far is I am making a pocket in the match wagon for the jib to sit in.

Few questions for you buddy, what couplings would you like on the crane, large tension lock as built, small tension lock NEM type or 3 link?

Shall keep you updated with tweaks and am doing the drawings for Mk2 as well, so will be some progress on that coming up shortly!

Cheers

Matt

Hey Matt,

Looking good, the extra length added to the main body completely changes it.

As for couplings, small hook and loops nem pocket style please, if you need some I have plenty of spares. It'll probably encourage me to put more subtle couplings on the support carriages too. Weather pending, hopefully all 3 of them will be yellow by the end of the weekend.

Are there any specific transfers it would be useful to have made up for the crane?

Cheers again,

Matt,

Looking very good. It must be inetersting to build a second version.

I have one observation in that I think the pocket for the pocket in the match wagon for the jib may be longer than your cut out and may even extend below the jib support trestle itself,

I have based this assumption on the images and drawings in Peter Tatlows Book “Railway Breakdown Cranes Volume 2 “

I have attached a photo of my match wagon conversion; unfortunately I cut it at the wrong end. ( I did feel a bit of a when I realsied)

Not too much of an issue though as I am going to reduce the width of the support trestle if I can. This is however subject to allowing for articulation of the jib. I have an idea how to make this work but need to carry out a few experiments and trail runs first

post-19340-0-62286300-1393000648_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Many thanks for the picture, I only got the runner the right way round on the first crane by luck so don't feel to bad!

This build is a quick and dirty for a mate to get the general feel of the crane and to give the hook somewhere to stay. On my original one it does look odd having it just laying on the runner.

On the Mk2 build I shall be doing a scratch built runner wagon as it is the only bogey that is too short, by almost a 3rd! This will allow a much deeper and longer pocket (I hope!)

Ref the jib articulation I think the only way to get it to work on 2nd radius curves with the runner bracket the correct width is to copy the prototype and have a floating bearing/joint at the base of the jib. Shouldn't be too tricky to sort with a metal bar and suffiently deep forks to ride on it.

Love to see the rest of your crane, judging from the match wagon should be a nice build.

Cheers

Matt

Rgr, small NEM style coupling for you Mr Goldfish!

Does make a big differance visually having the overhang on the main body. Stangely enough the main body of the crane isn't as out of scale as it looks, it's just that Hornby have mounted it too far forward! Shall have to bring the blueprints I have round with the crane when built and you can see the changes.

As for transfers shall have a look and get back to you buddy.

Hope the secret airbase in the midlands isn't sucking all the life out of you!!

Cheers

Matt

G'day mr Angell and all your followers!

On the subject of the jib runner wagon, I have found I have a picture in an old mag of the Toton crane which nicely shows the storage boxes underneath if you'd like a copy?

The exile is going well, hopefully at the end of this coming week I'll be allowed back to a real airfield. Work progresses on the rough and ready support carriages to go with the crane:

post-9147-0-23032800-1393156961_thumb.jpg

I found on the Toton picture mentioned above that the carriages I chose to try are coincidently similar to the Toton setup!

At the far right in the pic is the tool van. Next job is to finish smoothing the filler on the sides. Based on: http://www.departmentals.com/photo/975132

In the middle in yellow is a tool/messing carriage. Paint just needs sorting out properly on this now. Based on: http://www.departmentals.com/photo/975459-1

And on the left is what will become a generator/tool carriage. More milliput to smooth down on this and some plated over windows to add to make it look less like a bg that's too long. Based on: http://www.departmentals.com/photo/977110-1

The crane will be to the left of the generator carriage.

THAT IS ALL.

Hi,

Many thanks for the picture, I only got the runner the right way round on the first crane by luck so don't feel to bad!

This build is a quick and dirty for a mate to get the general feel of the crane and to give the hook somewhere to stay. On my original one it does look odd having it just laying on the runner.

On the Mk2 build I shall be doing a scratch built runner wagon as it is the only bogey that is too short, by almost a 3rd! This will allow a much deeper and longer pocket (I hope!)

Ref the jib articulation I think the only way to get it to work on 2nd radius curves with the runner bracket the correct width is to copy the prototype and have a floating bearing/joint at the base of the jib. Shouldn't be too tricky to sort with a metal bar and suffiently deep forks to ride on it.

Love to see the rest of your crane, judging from the match wagon should be a nice build.

Cheers

Matt

Matt,

Have tried the articulation on the jib, quite simple to carry out.

You can easily achieve 15mm movement from the centre line in either direction at the support trestle.

Unfortunately on second radius curves you need an additional 43mm

I tried moving the pivot point further forward but you can’t achieve anything like 58mm from the centre line, the problem which I had not foreseen is the lateral movement of the match wagon itself as it moves around the bend in advance of the crane.

When it returns to straight track the crane body is to one side and the jib the other which looks all wrong, have to get the filler out.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Matt

Looking back over the tread I noticed you painted the top edges of the runner wagon with  a thin band all aroud the edge and the remainder black to match the floor so that the edge appears thinner, very good trick I will try that myself. The thickness to the vertical sides of the wagon is one thing which I am not happy with

• 4 weeks later...

Just been playing catch up with this thread amazing job done there when you consider it started from nothing more than effectively a toy.

Very inspiring job there my good man  :drink_mini:

• 1 month later...

Looking good Satan, what's up with the paint? You having reaction?

Paint applied exactly the same as it was on the Triang carriages, but some of it seems to stick better to later applied masking tape than the Lima carriage. In the last picture you can just make out a white patch towards the left of it where i masked it earlier today to do black on the chassis, then the yellow came up with the tape after. The Yellow has been on for about 2 months now. I have a small pot of yellow, i'll try brushing on the parts that need patching rather than risk masking again.

Trying to thin down my 'project pile', this seemed an easy finish until the paint happened.

• 2 weeks later...

Final carriage received attention. Yellow paint has been patched up and transfers applied.

post-9147-0-07972400-1408217329_thumb.jpg

insert crane here..... Less wasp stripes on the end of this one so I'll need to smile nicely at someone with a much steadier hand than mine to pick the pipe work back out.

post-9147-0-15786500-1408217457_thumb.jpg

all 3 together:

post-9147-0-54250600-1408217606_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

cheers Phil. For some reason this last carriage doesn't look as grubs when finished compared to the Triang pair despite all the paint being the same. Oh well, nothing wrong with a little variation.

if you look at the average network rail train the paint variation is spectacular some times so youve modelled it perfectly.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived