RMweb

Blue Pullman - Triang - Remotoring

Bouffers

I posted a response to a question a while back regarding adding a DCC Chip to my Triang Blue Pullman. I am happy to add the photo's back onto the new RMWEB website if anyone wants me to help them fitting the DCC Chip (it is a Hornby 8 function chip).

Anyway, I have now also uploaded a video of my Blue Pullman with a new lease of life breathed into it. It is a new motor bogey (a simple unscrew and replace job), which incorporates a modern Mashima motor fitting. If anyone is interested, this is made by Hollywood Foundry in Australia.

It has transformed the model, no more erratic stopping and going (I have to wonder whether these sets really ever worked properly). I can now also comfortably pull 6 carriages as well (and then some).

As you can see from the video, I have yet to add the side moudling kit as made by Genesis Kits, in order to make it look like the original.

I can't praise the new bogey enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWfMvOhn_c8

post-6636-12575936659191_thumb.jpg

I posted a response to a question a while back regarding adding a DCC Chip to my Triang Blue Pullman. I am happy to add the photo's back onto the new RMWEB website if anyone wants me to help them fitting the DCC Chip (it is a Hornby 8 function chip).

Anyway, I have now also uploaded a video of my Blue Pullman with a new lease of life breathed into it. It is a new motor bogey (a simple unscrew and replace job), which incorporates a modern Mashima motor fitting. If anyone is interested, this is made by Hollywood Foundry in Australia.

It has transformed the model, no more erratic stopping and going (I have to wonder whether these sets really ever worked properly). I can now also comfortably pull 6 carriages as well (and then some).

As you can see from the video, I have yet to add the side moudling kit as made by Genesis Kits, in order to make it look like the original.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=aWfMvOhn_c8

I tried to order one from Hollywood Foundry and they said there was a problem with the unit and it would not be available until it was fixed.

I have temporarily removed the Triang Replacement Bogie from sale for the time being as there are some issues with the motors. I have had a couple of Mashima motors get too hot during running.

I have a new shipment of motors on its way and when the situation is resolved, I will put the bogie back on the web site menu. Thank you for your patience.

Geoff

The Hollywood Foundry bogie is a fine peice of work, nice design, well made, and works well, I tried one on a friends Pullman diesel in for a re-paint, very nice and smooth , and quiet as well.

If however you have the original Tri-ang unit, it can be improved by removing the wheels and fitting replacements, ridding it of the horrible ribbed tyre surfaces etc, and the motor is not that bad if serviced carefully. I am not sure what commercial replacements are available these days, but I think Ultrascale did sets at one time for 00 and P4.

If you have a lathe, any brass or nickel coach or diesel wheels of the right size can be re-drilled to fit the plastic axles, (or steel on some), and the unit works quite well, and gives new life to the motor bogie, but it's never going to rival a modern unit, especially for slow running.

Stephen.

• RMweb Gold

The Hollywood Foundry bogie is a fine peice of work, nice design, well made, and works well, I tried one on a friends Pullman diesel in for a re-paint, very nice and smooth , and quiet as well.

If however you have the original Tri-ang unit, it can be improved by removing the wheels and fitting replacements, ridding it of the horrible ribbed tyre surfaces etc, and the motor is not that bad if serviced carefully. I am not sure what commercial replacements are available these days, but I think Ultrascale did sets at one time for 00 and P4.

If you have a lathe, any brass or nickel coach or diesel wheels of the right size can be re-drilled to fit the plastic axles, (or steel on some), and the unit works quite well, and gives new life to the motor bogie, but it's never going to rival a modern unit, especially for slow running.

Stephen.

Agreed, must get a set of Modelspares replacement wheels (not that you can get them now angry.gif ) on another dock shunter and DCC convert it just to show how good a drive unit the original one was wink.gif

Agreed, must get a set of Modelspares replacement wheels (not that you can get them now angry.gif ) on another dock shunter and DCC convert it just to show how good a drive unit the original one was wink.gif

At our MRC, the Dock Shunter was a rival in max speed to the Blue Pullman, one of which held the speed record for the club track.....an 00 shunter that did about 130 mph!!

Stephen.

• 2 weeks later...

Before I ordered the Hollywood Foundry Triang Replacement Motor Bogey, I had replaced the old ribbed wheels of the Triang Unit with a set of new stainless steel set which I bought from Tony's Store on Ebay (tonysstoreonline or in4apenny-in4apound), but to be honest, as someone said above, the running was still very erratic due to the age of the motor and the slow speed control was awful, often requiring a prod or two to get it going.

I am so pleased with the Hollywood Foundry new bogey, that I am probably going to buy another Blue Pullman (the white one) and fit a new Hollywood Foundry bogey with the great Mashima motor to that.

In the absence of Hornby making a modern version of the Blue Pullman, what choice do we have?

I have yet to fit a DCC Chip to the new bogey, but this looks relatively simple, literally unsoldering and resoldering 4 wires.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=aWfMvOhn_c8

I would be grateful if you couldeither post your photos of the dcc conversion or send the pictures to me

many thanks

Hi, if anyone is interested in replacing the Wheel-sets in their existing Tri-ang Bogie, please contact by PM to getting pricing, delivery etc for new sets made up in the style of Tri-ang X117 wheel-sets.

They consist of new Markits 9/64in axles, Hornby plastic gears and Blackbeetle wheels in two sizes, 12mm and 14mm dia, the first size is a direct swap for the existing wheels and the second, a correct size 3 foot 6 inch scale wheel.

I have made several sets up for projects, and I have a few sets available to immediate sale.

I am not a trader, I made up these sets to re-wheel some reconditioned bogies and can offer both DMU and EMU reconditioned with new brushes, re-magnetised and with these wheels fitted, I can also supply the bogies DCC ready with 9pin NRMA straight connector to fit a suitable decoder.

The modifications, together with the new wheels transform the Tri-ang bogie to a very smooth running unit which belies its age and proves how good the design was back in in the late 1950's.

At our MRC, the Dock Shunter was a rival in max speed to the Blue Pullman, one of which held the speed record for the club track.....an 00 shunter that did about 130 mph!!

Stephen.

I have a Hornby tender-drive 9F that did about a scale 160 mph and an 8F which only managed about 140 - absolutely NBG for shunting though. One member brought along some foreign railcar with elastic band transmission and that did about 250-300 mph, couldn't measuer it properly as it fell over on the off-stage 3ft curves!

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

These will be available from stock at DC Kits shortly: See www.devideos-dckits.co.uk under Bullant Motor Bogies.

Happy xmas. Charlie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWfMvOhn_c8

Archived