4mm Western Wagon Kits

adriantr

Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of planning my first permanent layout (see here). It is set at a mediumish sized, fictional terminus with a particular focus on coal movements from local mines in the 50 to early 60s (00 gauge). While most of the rolling stock will be RTR, I would like to give kitbuilding a try as it is something I've never had the chance to do. For various reasons I can't start building the baseboard until early next year so I have decided to have a crack at building some rolling stock between now and the new year.

I am looking to build a few coal wagons, maybe a goods van or possibly even a passenger coach (although that might be a little ambitious for my first kit project).

Does anyone have any recommendations of kits for a first timer? Bonus points for a supplier/distributor in North America!

Thanks

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

You shouldn't go wrong with a few Parkside Dundas 16T minerals, they have wheels with them and go together very well. You will need paint and transfers, I prefer HMRS Presfix but there are some waterslide ones with numbers made up I believe.

Sorry, can't help with US distributors though.

Good luck and hope to see your wagons soon.

Also, welcome to RMWeb.

You shouldn't go wrong with a few Parkside Dundas 16T minerals, they have wheels with them and go together very well.

Although the later kits (such as the wooden minerals that are also applicable to the OP's period) will be even better for a novice - more finely machined and much more positive fit of parts. There are also the BR standard and LNER wooden-underframe vans - generally the higher the kit number, the later the model (the aforementioned BR vans, plus PC01 and PC02 being notable exceptions)

Link to website: http://www.parksidedundas.co.uk/

Wow, that was fast! Those kits do look quite good. I wasn't holding out much hope for a US distributor but I decided it was worth a try.

Thanks for the help, I'll post here with any questions and when I get started on them.

• RMweb Gold

Although the later kits (such as the wooden minerals that are also applicable to the OP's period) will be even better for a novice - more finely machined and much more positive fit of parts. There are also the BR standard and LNER wooden-underframe vans - generally the higher the kit number, the later the model (the aforementioned BR vans, plus PC01 and PC02 being notable exceptions)

Link to website: http://www.parksidedundas.co.uk/

Forgot about the timber bodied minerals, not much call for them in the North East.

I agree, the later ones are much better than the older types (just sorting out some old badly built ones that I have been given).

Just remembered that the Slaters timber minerals go together very well also. Cooper Craft

The Cooper Craft GW N13 10T Loco Coal Wagon (1002W) is a lovely crisp plastic kit that is dead easy to assemble and would be perfect for a Western themed layout. Large numbers of them lingered on into the 1950's found on coaling roads at many depots. Wheels are not supplied with these though so if you want to order a complete kit from the UK then a Parkside 16T Mineral could be the way to go.

Decisions, decisions!..............................Happy Modelling,

Andy.

You can get Cooper Craft and Parkside Dundas kits as well as other British bits and pieces through The British Connection in London, Ontario:

http://www.execulink.com/~britishconnect/britishconnection/HOME.html

They are very nice people and very easy to deal with (although they don't take credit cards).

Adrian

I think I'll get a couple of the 16T mineral wagons. Shipping costs can get quite astronomical so I think I'll stick to all-inclusive kits for now. Looks like I can get the transfers from Parkside as well. I can buy paint and other supplies here. Is there a specific type (or colour) of paint that you would reccommend?

Last thing, couplings. I think I'll probably stick to the standard Hornby-style tension locks for now. Unless you have any suggestions for something that would be a little more realistic (or easier to use)?

Thanks for the link Adrian (great name btw!), I'll have to check it out. Doubtless this would be cheaper than importing from the UK, and I can avoid pesky import duty!

Thanks for all the help.

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

The Cooper Craft GW N13 10T Loco Coal Wagon (1002W) is a lovely crisp plastic kit that is dead easy to assemble ... <snip> Wheels are not supplied with these though ...

The W in the 1002W part number indicates that the kit includes wheels. All of their own wagon kits listed on their site include wheels. :)

Pre-64 freight stock grey would be the paint to have although tbh with the fading of the things any mix of lighter grey paint should be fine really.

The wooden RCH minerals are a bit better moulding than the older 16t minerals. The 21t rivetted mineral is also worth having an example of for a WR coal train.

Plenty of prototype pictures for you to look at http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/ for the painting.

Archived