kevpeo

Kev,

Only just found this layout / thread.

Whilst my main interest lies in BR blue china clay, I do also have a soft spot for Scottish layouts and for me you have really captured the area/eras.

Its nice to see on the vids how the trains disappear and can be glimpsed through the trees in places.

With a nicely detailed fleet of rolling stock, its the sort of layout I would stumble on at a show and then happily stand in front of all day!

Look forward to see some more shots...the BR blue sulzer type 2's and LL 37's are very compelling :D

Pete

Cheers Pete, I'm certainly compelled to keep buying more! kev.

Hi Kev,

Those 37's look good, hopefully will get to hear them in person at some point, nice to have some variety in your fleet as well as the real ones all sound a bit different. Anyway heading off to Barrow now and should have another 37 in my fleet later today!

Thanks,

Mark

• Thanks 1

Hiya mate, been meaning to ask you how much quicker are the traintronics motors in throwing than the tortoise? Nick

I'll have to try and time them. Stopwatch at the ready! ;) kev.

Edit - tortoise - 2 secs, TT300 - 1 sec. Approx!

Hi Kev,

Those 37's look good, hopefully will get to hear them in person at some point, nice to have some variety in your fleet as well as the real ones all sound a bit different. Anyway heading off to Barrow now and should have another 37 in my fleet later today!

Thanks,

Mark

You can never have too many 37's Mark(or 27's for that matter!)or is that just me? Next time your visiting at a weekend you'll have to come round and play, bring earplugs! :blink: kev.

Thanks Kev,

I will let you know when I am about. Your right you can't have too many 37's - just need to get sound in the rest of mine though! I can bring some of my 37's down with me if you like as I know how much you like them in EWS!

All the best,

Mark

Thanks Kev,

I will let you know when I am about. Your right you can't have too many 37's - just need to get sound in the rest of mine though! I can bring some of my 37's down with me if you like as I know how much you like them in EWS!

All the best,

Mark

I'm sure I don't know what you mean Mark? 37's look nice in any colour! :D kev.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Kev,

Great to see your layout finally appear on here! I really enjoyed seeing it in operation at Barrow show and I am glad that you are only chopping it up to make it easier for use as I did think it sounded drastic when you told me but the option of doubling the storage roads could be good - just think of all those additional trains you could run and with all those sound fitted machines you have! If you ever want to run the EWS period let me know and I can bring some stock off Rannoch! Hope you don't mind the photos I took (could have been worst if I hadn't made the show it would be my mums dodgy efforts!)

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Kev

Just found your layout whilst searching through the web for scottish signal boxes. I am at present building Glen Gillie (see in layouts) and noticed the signal box in the photo taken by Mark above. Is it possible you could give me some information on it or further shots or where to obtain drawings so I could build a similar one. I thing the layout is very good and captures the atmosphere of Scotland.

Regards

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a while since the last update but the latest arrival in brown paper & string has arrived (sorry John!) -

post-8271-0-56793000-1298116398_thumb.jpg

Destined to become 24 090 in battered BR green as in these pictures -

http://www.railphoto...g=0934000060000

http://www.derbysulz...90doncaster.jpg

Although I have two 24's available for shows, 009 & 147 courtesy of other FMRC members I really fancied one myself! The main work is going to be the chassis which on the real thing is part stripped of its valences which makes neither of the Bachmann variants suitable! So theres nowt to it but to cut up this one and scratchbuild the bits in between. The under cab bits will be fitted to the body to remove the joint line. Other than that its plate up the handhold's, cut some chassis out to fit a 20x40 bass-enhanced under the fan (on the other two its in the tanks, but - ) and chop up the tanks to model the cut down versions. Oh and full yellow ends, a partial repaint & renumber! kev.

Website - Http://lochdour.webs.com/

Edited by kevpeo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now then, what's this pile of plastic 'shite' doing sullying Loch Dours trackwork? -

post-8271-0-21248800-1298909049_thumb.jpg

I was determined not to start 24 090 until I'd finished this and got it off the workbench. A 20+ year old Lima 156 fitted with a 10 year old Bachmann 158 chassis, directional lighting and two Lenz silver decoders! (although the tail lights aren't as bright as they look in this picture! cool.gif ) Not due to be a regular runner at shows, its more for Coppell use, but it might get a few runs at home when it gets a soundchip in it.

Now thats out of the way the 24 has been reduced to a kit of parts and the plastic sub chassis cut into five pieces, not including the bits that ended up in the bin and the end of my finger! The marked area on the chassis block is the metal to be removed for the bass speaker.-

post-8271-0-64817300-1298909113_thumb.jpg

Thats all for now, Kev.

Edited by kevpeo
  • Like 2

Hi Kev,

That 156 looks very good to me and a huge improvement over the plastic block normally seen under them. Do you have any pictures of the work involved to get it to this standard as I have a barbie one to detail in the future.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi mark. I'll take some pictures of the underneath of the dummy car, should give you an idea of the work involved. This one was done using the engine castings from an MTK ( :O ) 155 kit (The rest went in the bin years ago!) But you'll have to talk nicely to Andrew Hurst now to get his detailing kit back into production. I know of a few people waiting for it! :D kev

That 156 looks very good, although it looks a bit strange at the front without snowploughs! I really like the weathering on it.

Thanks Scott. Its got some lumps of white metal pretending to be the original style obstacle deflectors but they don't stand out much. They didn't paint them yellow in the old days! :D Anybody make a decent plough for them now? kev.

Thanks Scott. Its got some lumps of white metal pretending to be the original style obstacle deflectors but they don't stand out much. They didn't paint them yellow in the old days! :D Anybody make a decent plough for them now? kev.

I bought the Hurst models ploughs for mine as the full detail kit has been out of stock for some time.

Just for MRDBLUE17, the 156 under-bits(is that a word?) Sorry for the wait Mark but my internets been down :( -

post-8271-0-86208300-1299515800_thumb.jpg

Of course not being able to get on here means I've got some modelling done! 24 090 chassis and tanks have been cut and filed until I got rid of the unwanted details, so I've now started to rebuild them with the wanted/replacement detailing -

post-8271-0-26321400-1299515838_thumb.jpg

Yes the tanks are full of lead, It will need it on my gradients!

post-8271-0-21739200-1299515868_thumb.jpg

As you can see a small amount of metal has also been removed to allow the fitting of the new speaker. Nothing done to the body yet apart from the fitting of the bufferbeam valences and removing the cab widows (now trashed! does Shawplan do laser etched ones for a 24?) and windscreen wipers (only one trashed!) kev.

• Like 1

I am in the process of constructing the line between tulloch and Newtonmore also set 87-88 . Love the look of the tractors and also the station yard is a perfect rendition.

Thanks and welcome to RM Web meanach. I'll look forward to seeing your progress on here soon!

Hi Kev,

Thanks for that photo - certainly makes a huge improvement over the big plastic lump. I e-mailed Hurst ages ago about their kit but have never heard back but I have heard a rumour that an updated version was being planned but don't know how true that is.

Mark

Looks like an update is long overdue, there seems to be plenty of people waiting for one! If I see Andrew I'll give him a prod! :D The alternative route may be the owners of the MTK moulds (No Nonsense Kits?). kev.