kevpeo

Cheers for the comments guys. Following on from above, now that photo uploading is now working, cheers Andy! In my Coppell fleet is another ex Eastfield machine in the form of 20 121. This was my first Bachmann 20 but the last to get a soundchip! In this case it was in the form of a Zimo chip from Digitrains with a 20mm speaker fitted under the roof fan -

post-8271-0-09965000-1325501283_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately this combination just didn't cut the mustard up against the ones fitted with Loksound 3.5's running new SWD or my programs. The volume just wasn't loud enough to be heard, and would not go above a value of 150 without the sound cutting out completely! So back to the drawing board, I thought I'd try a Hi-bass speaker from Digitrains. The loco was stripped to just the chassis block, removing the plastic battery box details and setting upon the chassis block with a hacksaw, drills and files! A new speaker framework/battery box was then constructed from plastic sheet.

Like this-

post-8271-0-60896200-1325501374_thumb.jpg

And from the other side -

post-8271-0-37056400-1325501531_thumb.jpg

The speaker in position -

post-8271-0-23776700-1325501616_thumb.jpg

The resulting ''box'' is sealed when the plastic motor mounting is re-affixed to the chassis. I did add a thin piece of drilled plastic sheet above (or is that below!) the speaker to protect it. On reassembly the speaker wires were attached to piece of copperclad strip on the side of the motor -

post-8271-0-44213900-1325501745_thumb.jpg

The result is a much improved sound with more importantly, more volume! 20 121 is now working in a pair with 20 208 and should now be available for the layouts 80's period. And you cannot see the join, well from most angles anyway!

post-8271-0-84636200-1325501850_thumb.jpg

More wheels to clean! Thanks for looking. kev.

Website - Http://lochdour.webs.com/

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip Peter, but I'm thinking a trip to Ozzy O's grit-blaster might be the best option to degrease them! We had a play with a Bachman 25 body a while back and it leaves a lovely clean matt finish on plastic! Kev.

Hello all,

this is the body that Kev and me had a play with.

post-8920-0-11798900-1325505119_thumb.jpg

As you can see it leves a nice finnish for the next coat of paint, without removing the detail. Appart from the cab front!!!!

OzzyO.

• Like 1

It looks a nice easy way to mount a speaker too.

Pete

Easy! :O It is a big improvement though.

looking great Kev, I tried to post a pic of 20121 the other day, but here it is anyway, bit late as you have finished your loco but might be useful.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter, the loco was finished a long time ago, how long have the Bachmann 20's been out? 10 years, this was one of the originals, 063 I think!

Apart from the cab front!!!!

OzzyO.

I told you not to get too close Ozzy! :D kev.

Hi Kev.

I´ve just had my old SWD class 20 chip (that I couldn´t bear to listen to anymore) reblown with Howes class 25 sound so I´m decoderless and without sound in the class 20 at the moment.

Any chance of doing a video so we could hear the results?

I followed your instructions with my class 37 sound install and it sounds brilliant.

Hi Kev,

Hope all is well with you and had a good christmas and new year! That 20 is very loud in that video and does sound very good indeed as well. I like the look of the old unit I'll let you run that one on Rannoch - it sounds nice as well!

I've heard whisky gets better with age but not an MTK kit :scratchhead:

All the best,

Mark

I like the look of the old unit I'll let you run that one on Rannoch

Mark

You said it Mark, you cannot take it back, I'll put it in the box with all the large logo tractors! :D are you worried yet? All the best, kev.

Thanks for doing the video Kev.

Impressive sound. Certainly loud enough.

Is that one of Digitrains sound files or one of your own?

I´ve never tried one of their sounds but might have to save up for one now.

4 years down the road from my first SWD class 20 sound chip and you can tell that loco sounds have definately moved forward.

Regards

Andy

Is that one of Digitrains sound files or one of your own?

Andy

It’s a Digitrains Andy. I'd wait a little while before ordering one though, as I've heard Pauliebangers new one, and it’s going to be good! I believe legomanbiffo is producing an ESU v4 version from the same recording session too. We're going to be spoilt for choice! Kev.

You said it Mark, you cannot take it back, I'll put it in the box with all the large logo tractors! :D are you worried yet? All the best, kev.

No not worried at all - how long to the show! :scared:

The layout progress is going well - I have a shopping list for Glasgow to get various bits (including some naughty figures Bolden style!) I need along with another 2 sound decoders with Legomanbiffo's sounds from Charlie as his 66 and new 37/4 are perfect to add further fleet variety. We could test run your new flask wagon with some of my DRS fleet though!

Mark

It’s a Digitrains Andy. I'd wait a little while before ordering one though, as I've heard Pauliebangers new one, and it’s going to be good! I believe legomanbiffo is producing an ESU v4 version from the same recording session too. We're going to be spoilt for choice! Kev.

Thanks for info Kev. I´ll keep it in mind.