Rail express modeller dec 2010

reevesthecat

Subscription copy arrived today

news about Irish rail 201, realtrack models and a couple of other bits

Review of Hornby RFM

Reviews of Dapol falcon grafar class 15, vitrains 37's

Modellers guide to plasmor traffic.

Weathering an 08 using techniques and materials imported from america!

And that is it, no layout's again!

Not really doing it for me anymore probably won't renew subscription.

mark

To be honest, I'm a bit mystified about why people post a "no layout feature again" comment about REx just about every month. This issue will be the twenty-fourth since they went to the larger format; and of those, five have included a layout feature (issue 153 - Airthrey Park; issue 155 -Wheal Elizabeth; issue 157 - MSW electrics in 2mm; issue 161 - Tonbridge West Yard; issue 172 - Birmingham Moor Street). I didn't bother going back further, but I'm confident that layout features have appeared in less than half the issues going back to 2004, when I started buying it on a regular basis. This simply isn't where REx has positioned itself: it's focussed on reviews, diesel detailing projects and articles about specific types of traffic. It has been as long as I've been reading it. That suits me just fine; but if it doesn't suit other people, that's fine too. Complaining about a lack of layout features, though, is like buying Hornby Magazine then complaining that there weren't any articles about turning your own locomotive driving wheels on a lathe from cast blanks.

Jim

<Edited because I hadn't noticed the four large-format issues in the other magazine box on my shelf :huh:>

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

a couple of points.

Layout features are big, the REX modlleling section isnt. Layouts are always going to be represented better in other mags that can devote more space (IMHO)

REX is a news magazine and reviews of new models is news. Again not a huge amount of space to do other stuff

I wonder if peoples expectations of a modelleing suppliment are perhaps a little unrealistic?

Cheers

Jim

OK I will rephrase my earlier post.

there does not seem to be as many layout articles as there used to be!

There could be many reasons for this like unavailability of layouts etc but this is what I like to see in a railway modelling mag therefore this one isn't doing it for me anymore. Don't expect one every month just more regularly than they seem to appear at present.

mark

I thought it was a very poor issue. 17 pages of adverts in a 32 page magazine is tiresome after a while. They seems to have run out of ideas. Retrospectums and modellers guides were so good when they started but they have almost used them up now and there is no replacement on a similar scale. I too will let my subscription lapse next month

... REX is a news magazine and reviews of new models is news. Again not a huge amount of space to do other stuff

I wonder if peoples expectations of a modelleing suppliment are perhaps a little unrealistic?

Maybe so Jim, but if it's not really what the market wants....

Personally I'd find it quite heartening if the lococentric approach didnt actually overwhelm the D&E hobby as much as it sometimes seems tosmile.gif

I thought it was a very poor issue. 17 pages of adverts in a 32 page magazine is tiresome after a while. They seems to have run out of ideas. Retrospectums and modellers guides were so good when they started but they have almost used them up now and there is no replacement on a similar scale. I too will let my subscription lapse next month

This stuck me to, ok the adverts provide revenue fair enough but having more advert pages then actual content is just stupid. I to wont be renewing in 15 months time.

Bluebird,

Guest jim s-w

Personally I'd find it quite heartening if the lococentric approach didnt actually overwhelm the D&E hobby as much as it sometimes seems tosmile.gif

Too true Ian, too true!

Cheers

Jim

I'd certainly agree that they seem to have trouble sourcing even one marquee article for each issue. The traditional answer to this in the hobby magazine sphere was that if people wanted to see articles of a particular type, they should write them themselves. It seems to me that it's quite hard to do that with D&E subjects, though. I'd be happy to write an article, for example, but whereas I have a ton of primary source information on the goods stock of the Great Central Railway, I have next-to-nothing of the sort for any modern subjects. The kind of information that would underpin a major article seems to be much harder to obtain nowadays. Obviously, I'm talking about prototype articles here: I have half-written modelling articles that are backed-up because it takes me so long to build the models :unsure:

Jim

Maybe so Jim, but if it's not really what the market wants....

Me too (and I know that you were replying to the other Jim here); but we plough a lonely furrow, we D&E non-loco fans :(

Jim

Evening Jim (swink.gif)

.... The traditional answer to this in the hobby magazine sphere was that if people wanted to see articles of a particular type, they should write them themselves. It seems to me that it's quite hard to do that with D&E subjects, though...

True, it's an oft-quoted retort to any criticism, but the thing that blows it out of the water as an argument is that the folk who need the knowledge, inspiration, whatever, almost by definition arent in any position to write about the subject. It may be particularly true of D&E if (and I stress 'if') that part of the hobby includes a higher percentage of younger or less-experienced modellers

: I have half-written modelling articles that are backed-up because it takes me so long to build the models :unsure:

Yep, that was what eventually scuppered it for me - plenty to say for myself but just couldnt stay disciplined long enoughlaugh.gif

It may be particularly true of D&E if (and I stress 'if') that part of the hobby includes a higher percentage of younger or less-experienced modellers

To be honest, I think it's more that a great deal of the information is inaccessible now. Security policies seem much more stringent nowadays: you read of individuals getting access to railway sites by "informal arrangements" in the past - does that still happen where railway staff know that comings and goings are recorded by CCTV? Rolling stock diagrams and GAs are readily available for all sorts of long-defunct railways - has anyone ever had any success contacting one of the freight operators (let alone some wagon builder in Poland) and asking for drawings of their latest product? That's the sort of thing I was thinking of. Most of the big feature articles in REx are really historical pieces by writers who were putting themselves about 20-odd years ago. Today's readers are in their debt, but would they be able to do the same things today?

Jim (one of)

Most of the big feature articles in REx are really historical pieces by writers who were putting themselves about 20-odd years ago. Today's readers are in their debt, but would they be able to do the same things today?

Jim (one of)

Not sure I've got the energy to 'put myself about today :rolleyes:

David R

One of the first times i can recall REX doing a photo step by step of the 08. At least there is some form of modelling!

REX has of late had some flack for various reasons and whilst this subject relates to the modelling section, the main mag is still good value with super photo reproduction and some reasonable news info on the latest wagons.

I for one will continue to buy it for the fore seeable future.

Paul

Flicked through this in Smiffs yesterday, for me personally,it's losing it's edge.

I really used to enjoy the constant rail blue articles, both model and prototype, but the last couple of issues have had nothing of interest.

I appreciate its difficult to please a wide audience, I actually preferred the content of the new Railway Modeller annual and purchased that instead.

Maybe its a monetary thing, previously I purchased all the monthlies regardless of content. Bit more selective these days, especially with cover prices the thick end of £4 a mag now.

Regards

Lee

Rolling stock diagrams and GAs are readily available for all sorts of long-defunct railways - has anyone ever had any success contacting one of the freight operators (let alone some wagon builder in Poland) and asking for drawings of their latest product? That's the sort of thing I was thinking of.

Try starting here ?

Vans

http://www.gerailservices.com/index.php?id=53

Flats

http://www.gerailservices.com/index.php?id=54

Hoppers

http://www.gerailservices.com/index.php?id=55

Intermodal

http://www.gerailservices.com/index.php?id=56

Open box

http://www.gerailservices.com/index.php?id=59

Coil

http://www.gerailservices.com/index.php?id=60

Tanks

http://www.gerailservices.com/index.php?id=61

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

According to the nice ladies on their stand at Warley, this is the last edition in the large format.

From January 2011 it goes back to A4 size.

Hopefully the content will get an overhaul too.

Excellent news - I know some of the editorial staff had been hoping this might happen. FWIW I really enjoy the content, though a bit more modelling content would be welcome.

• RMweb Gold

According to the nice ladies on their stand at Warley, this is the last edition in the large format.

From January 2011 it goes back to A4 size.

Hopefully the content will get an overhaul too.

Brilo... A4 is so much easier to file - lets hope that there is something worth filing B)

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks,

Rail Express continues to be the one mag that I just grab-and-go without browsing, confident in the knowledge that I will enjoy it.

The only thing that spoiled it was the "supersize" format which was hard to store and a little awkward to read unless sat at a table - so great news about the size change!

cheers

Ben A.

Im on a 24 month subcription to Rail Express, I used to love it. Plenty of pictures with information on the latest news etc. Good Modelling section with the feature and the model railway article. Then the power by the hour, shunter and wagon sections, the latter two are the best bits.

But over the last 4-5 months it seems the magazine is being filled with more and more adverts. The modelling section is more or less half adverts in the last few issues. The news section appears to be getting smaller and the new model railway feature promised since the 2nd issue under the new management is yet to appear with no explaintion as to why or when.

Im in two mind whether to resubscribe next year, a downsize back to A4 is very welcome I assume with a reduction in price to? and a rethink on the amount of advert space should also be taken.

Bluebird.

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks,

For me, the cover price each issue is not.. err.. an issue.

If the smaller size reduces production costs in any meaningful way (which frankly I doubt) then I would rather they use any cost saving to increase editorial content and/or reduce advertisements.

cheers

Ben A.

Post removed? Is having a laugh not permitted?:P

Bluebird.

There is no point in repeating your own post content; your last point was of no further merit and would only serve to distract from the main topic purpose. You may be having a laugh but it wasn't actually particularly funny.

Archived