Has anyone managed to 'anglisize' their CMX track cleaner?

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Keith, I missed your earlier post, but out of courtesy I thank you for your suggestion, and indeed everyone else who contributed to this subject re the "CMX problem" :D

That's OK

I sometimes miss some of what has been said before when reading through several replies.

Another suggestion leading on from my original idea of just clothing it in a siphon body:

I was rather wondering whether the tank section could be fitted inside some kind of British outline vehicle (pad notwithstanding) if it's bogies were removed.

It looks to have a fairly flat chassis and the filler caps are less than the height of the panniers chimney so might fit under a removable roof. It's construction might preclude that solution though.

Re the loco: You mentioned it is one of the "Heavy" ones. Can you elaborate? Is it an early Bachmann or a Mainline?

I have a Mainline which I replaced the awful (non running) split chassis with a Comet kit and also have some late model Bachmanns. However I don't recall the Mainline chassis being any heavier than the current Bachmann, although I may be mistaken.

Keith

Hello again Keith. I think in light of the weird shape of this CMX thing, I will take the 'cowards' way out and just try to "departmentalise" it :lol: Anyway, my reply is more concerned with the pannier tank, and it is a very old Bachmann [split chassis] - it also is quite a bit heavier than the more 'modern' version....I bought one from a member on here, so I have had the opportunity to notice the difference. I don't know if you read a comment I placed some weeks ago about my old pannier not working? Well, I overcame THAT particular problem by stripping the loco down to see WHY it failed [it previously ran, but smoke came out of it - from the CAB!! ] However, because it failed completely, I thought I may as may take a look at the worst - thinking it had burnt out.

What I found was the one of the tiny brush holder housings had worked loose on the armature, and THIS is what was causing the smoke, and subsequent failure. The carbon brushes looked in good fettle, so on pressing the housing back to where it should have been, I tested the loco and it ran/runs beautifully once again. [NO smoke!] I think maybe this problem may have been more prevelant in other people's loco's than I realised. I know Bachmann had a problem with this model cause they repaired mine F.O.C when I sent it back to them on first seeing smoke not too long after I bought it [MANY years ago!] Another aspect to problematical running can be attributed to the tiny little 'contact' springs which are SO easy to loose when taking the chassis apart - these springs are located on the front axle and take the current from each side of the loco and transfer to the motor. They sit in two holes drilled into the chassis itself, so if anyone else is having problems with their pannier, remember those things will drop to the floor as easy as wink! And it's so easy to overlook them on re assembly- once one, or both are gone, - loco she no work!! :D

That's OK

I sometimes miss some of what has been said before when reading through several replies.

Another suggestion leading on from my original idea of just clothing it in a siphon body:

I was rather wondering whether the tank section could be fitted inside some kind of British outline vehicle (pad notwithstanding) if it's bogies were removed.

It looks to have a fairly flat chassis and the filler caps are less than the height of the panniers chimney so might fit under a removable roof. It's construction might preclude that solution though.

Re the loco: You mentioned it is one of the "Heavy" ones. Can you elaborate? Is it an early Bachmann or a Mainline?

I have a Mainline which I replaced the awful (non running) split chassis with a Comet kit and also have some late model Bachmanns. However I don't recall the Mainline chassis being any heavier than the current Bachmann, although I may be mistaken.

Keith

Guest jim s-w

I appreciate the reply, and I agree that this vehicle is not an ideal candidate for a british outline makeover...........Maybe the best alternative would be to paint the thing and use some muted colour [grey?] to take that very noticeable brass shine off of it.

Hi

you are putting chemicals in it, IPA, Lighter fuel or something more nasty. Try as you might you will spill some and eventually it will take the paint off. I really wouldn't worry about it and just accept it for what is is, ie maintenance for the layout and not a piece of the stock roster.

Thats just me though

Cheers

Jim

Hello Jim, I won't be using lighter fuel, but I did manage to buy an expensive [£9!] bottle of Isopropyl alchohol instead. You should have seen the assistants face when I first asked for nail polish remover at the chemist's! :lol:

Hi

you are putting chemicals in it, IPA, Lighter fuel or something more nasty. Try as you might you will spill some and eventually it will take the paint off. I really wouldn't worry about it and just accept it for what is is, ie maintenance for the layout and not a piece of the stock roster.

Thats just me though

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Hello again Keith. Anyway, my reply is more concerned with the pannier tank, and it is a very old Bachmann [split chassis] - it also is quite a bit heavier than the more 'modern' version....

I assume that the extra weight is partly due to the "proper" Bachmann motor compared to the lightweight Mainline pancake when Bachmann re-jigged the chassis. The even later versions (Blue Riband) are of course solid chassis.

The problem I had was with an original Mainline loco (brand new in box - bought by myself) which wouldn't run at all when tried after about 30 years in storage.

The chassis was badly distorted and started to break up when I stated dismantling it to find what the problem was.

It now has a Comet chassis, with the original Mainline lower boiler section fitted.

Keith

Built in obsalescence?? Blimey Keith, the chassis was "distorted and breaking up"?? Sounds more like a disease ! :lol: Maybe there IS a 30 years limit for the cheek of owning one of their locos that long ? !! :lol:

I assume that the extra weight is partly due to the "proper" Bachmann motor compared to the lightweight Mainline pancake when Bachmann re-jigged the chassis. The even later versions (Blue Riband) are of course solid chassis.

The problem I had was with an original Mainline loco (brand new in box - bought by myself) which wouldn't run at all when tried after about 30 years in storage.

The chassis was badly distorted and started to break up when I stated dismantling it to find what the problem was.

It now has a Comet chassis, with the original Mainline lower boiler section fitted.

Keith

What about getting some spare tenders and model the gwr weedkilling train? I suspect with an engineering livery and some neater caps you could hide it...

or as other posters have said, strip off the bogies/chassis and mount it cetrally in a full brake/other coach of chioce...

Hi

A great, reasonably priced alternative is Dave Franks' Lanarkshire Models and Supplies (LMS) Track cleaning attachment kit, available from nairnshire-modelling-supplies.co.uk

Jim

Hi, The guys on the 'Scottish Region Study Group' layout 'Alloa' use the Lanarkshire Models track cleaner, they say it works well with no need to clean the mainlines over a three day exhibition, you can use a few drops of fluid cleaner if you wish but the action of the heavy roller even used dry picks up a great deal of black crud necessitating a change of cloth each day.

How do I know this? I make the things.

Cheers.

Dave.

• 4 years later...

How about this as a colour scheme for the CMX cleaner

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23987565@N05/3887065558

I wonder if acrylic paint would be more durable

I was at Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg last week and they had Roco cleaners running around don't think most people realised what they were. They have a van body one possibility for the CMX would be to have. Van body that fitted over the top

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Depending on the period the GWR built some bogie Iron Minks.

Or as suggested you could outside frames / solebars with buffer beam and suitable details and make it part of a weed killing or maintenance train.

Gordon A

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'll just stick to running a Brush type 4 (Class 47) around the layout with the CMX on my GWR inspired 1930s layout!

It'll be part of the GWRs "Great Leap Forward" plans that have been kept secret until now. :jester:

Keith

Archived