RMweb

Different Question on Cork Underlay

I was at Royston show yesterday (don't like the NEC), and on one of the layouts was very impressed by the trackbed. I asked the operators and they told me it was a propriety* cork underlay, but with the shoulders pre-chamfered. It also appeared to be flexible enough to lay on a curve.

My question is does anyone know of this product and where to find it? My attempts at cutting cork tiles are b..... awful!

Thanks

Ed

*who started the spelling thread?

• RMweb Gold

I was at Royston show yesterday (don't like the NEC), and on one of the layouts was very impressed by the trackbed. I asked the operators and they told me it was a propriety cork underlay, but with the shoulders pre-chamfered. It also appeared to be flexible enough to lay on a curve.

My question is does anyone know of this product and where to find it? My attempts at cutting cork tiles are b..... awful!

Thanks

Ed

Javis of Stockport made this ref JTRACKOO and put me in touch with a supplier in their neck of the woods last year but I can't find the details.

Gaugemaster ref GM133 seems to be the same or similar but is expensive.

Hope this helps

Regards

Bob.

Try http://www.charlesca...lway/index.html and http://www.charlesca...ack-strips.html

And for scenery - http://www.charlesca...k-granules.html

Not bad prices all round.

[Edit] The cut it yourself stuff is miles less expensive than the ready cut

I'd go along with that, the best available, easy to work with, doesn't crumble like others.

If you live nearby you can pop in to their unit and pick it up yourself.

Keith

They do an excellent mail-order service, as I've used their cork for all my layouts, plus Blandford, and my present on going project, 20ft x 8ft roundy in my workshop.

Thanks for the replies guys. I presume that to get it around bends you cut out a number of segments(or is it sectors?). How hard/easy is it to do that, and what sort of radius can you get down to?

Ed

I found that the Cantrill cork will easily work to 3 feet rad, then it's a case of slitting it two-thirds of the way thro'( with a craftknife) from the outside of the rad, starting off at about 4 inches apart, smaller the rad - closer the slits, all by trial & error. My method, maybe a bit drastic, is to apply by working the rad out 'dry' first with the cork, then add PVA to the baseboard where the cork is to go,put the cork down, and roll over with a decorators edging roller, then place house bricks on top for 24 hour for the PVA to set as well as go dry.All should end up perfectly flat - well mine does :) .

Edit. I must add, I only use 1/16" cork, on 1/8 the curve may be a little more difficult.

• RMweb Gold

Javis of Stockport made this ref JTRACKOO and put me in touch with a supplier in their neck of the woods last year but I can't find the details.

Gaugemaster ref GM133 seems to be the same or similar but is expensive.

Hope this helps

Regards

Bob.

Update to the above-Javis tell me that they obtained theirs from a manufacturer in Spain who has gone out of business which is a pity because it was

easy to use even on 2nd rad curves.

They are still hoping to find another supplier but that could take a while!

Regards

Bob.

Archived