Weathering Locos

Hi,

I want to start weathering my diesel locos but I'm unsure of how to mask the windows, do some people remove the glazing or is there a particular way to mask them in place?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards

Michael

• RMweb Gold

I also used the low tack masking tape method in the past but now I use Humbrol Maskol Just simply paint it over the windows leave it to dry then I spray my models it is so much easier and less likely to damage any window when trying to remove the masking tape with tweezers.

You can get Maskol from all good model and craft shops but be warned it really stinks but apart from that I've never looked back since I've tried it !!

Hope this helps :crazy_mini:

I also used the low tack masking tape method in the past but now I use Humbrol Maskol Just simply paint it over the windows leave it to dry then I spray my models it is so much easier and less likely to damage any window when trying to remove the masking tape with tweezers.

You can get Maskol from all good model and craft shops but be warned it really stinks but apart from that I've never looked back since I've tried it !!

Hope this helps :crazy_mini:

Maskol works everytime for me.:rolleyes:

Jack

For the front windscreens (Wiper path) Southern Pride Models from Kidderminster do a pack of precut masking, part number P112.

Very good product used with good results.

No connection just a satisfied customer.

Paul

• RMweb Gold
You can get Maskol from all good model and craft shops but be warned it really stinks
The smell is ammonia. It's probably just Copydex with a purple dye and higher price tag.

• 4 months later...

Depending on the model, my first choice would be to remove the glazing - it's probably more effort in the long run, but it gives you the peace of mind to know that you CAN'T get paint over your glazing! Obviously it's far easier in some cases than others.

• RMweb Premium

I don't bother masking windows when weathering; They're not removable on the real thing so they'd get dirty along with the rest of the loco.

Mask templates from the likes of Southern Pride Models and TPM ( for N Gauge) are great for doing the areas of the window the wipers clean.

Otherwise I'd do what the drivers would do - give the windows a quick wipe over. In model form use the corner of a peice of folded tissue or a cotton-bud soaked in a bit of thinner to give the window a quite wipe over. You'll get some bits of muck left in the corner but it all adds to the effect.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

When it comes to masking windows i use a mixture of maskol and masking tape. I stick a a small pice of masking tape in the middle then cover the edges with maskol ( i cannot take credit for this method as i found this method on the model rail weathering dvd with George Dent). As for weathering wiper masks have you considered ther one that P h designs do. I have had a set for ther class 50 for sometime now and they work well.

Apart from pre cut masking for the windscreens, what other methods are available to get the same results?

Regards

Michael

Since returning to model railways I have looked through thousands of model websites. I did come across etched brass for all kinds of window masking, but I can't remember the site. May be someone else has seen it and can shed some light on it for us and possibly provide a link?

Best regards,

Mark

A little tip if you are using maskol (or similar masking fluid)

Put a small piece of ordinary masking tape in the centre of the masked area and then paint the maskol over it to the full extent of the area to be protected. This makes the maskol MUCH easier to remove when you come to do so. simply lift the masking tape and the maskol should come away with it. Otherwise you will be picking away at the edge of the masked area with tweezers and you will probably scratch the paint you wish to leave in place.

I don't bother masking windows when weathering; They're not removable on the real thing so they'd get dirty along with the rest of the loco.

Sorry but that is wrong, look at photos and by and large any glass on a diesel or steam locomotive will be wiped clean, either by the wipers provided or by the crew who have a need to be able to see out! They won't be highly polished but they won't be the opaque muck fest that you see on some weathered model locomotives (it's one of my pet hates)

• RMweb Premium

Sorry but that is wrong, look at photos and by and large any glass on a diesel or steam locomotive will be wiped clean, either by the wipers provided or by the crew who have a need to be able to see out! They won't be highly polished but they won't be the opaque muck fest that you see on some weathered model locomotives (it's one of my pet hates)

Which if you read the rest of my message is just what I suggest doing in model form. I did a Farish 08 on Sunday - spraying the windows and then using the corner of a folder peice of kitchen paper dipped in some white spirit to clean the windows. The end result means that there's still some grubbyness in the corners of the windows.

The real thing doesn't apply a sheet of plastic over the windows to keep them clear so why bother doing the same in model form?

Happy modelling,

Steven B.

Apology due. I misunderstood what you meant (I'll endeavour to read more closely in future):pardon_mini:

My point stands though. Sometimes you will see this

%4023-01-08_12.JPG

Would any self respecting driver not simply wipe an oily rag over that? Prototypically speaking that is.

Please, if someone recognises the picture fragment, I don't like to criticise other's work so no offence is intended nor should be construed. It was simply a photograph I found and cropped down to illustrate my point. It may even be that the photograph has simply caught the light on the window. The point I'm trying to make (whilst tiptoeing around offending strangers!) is windows on locomotives are meant to be looked through and when the rest of the loco is as filthy as can be the glass will be at least clearish.

• RMweb Premium

Would any self respecting driver not simply wipe an oily rag over that? Prototypically speaking that is.

I agree! ;)

I prefer to do as the drivers would but in model form. Being a modeller in N Gauge it's also a lot quicker than cutting out tiny bits of masking tape or messing about with maskol.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Archived