Old JB Refuelling Lorry

Wasn't quite sure where to put this one, but as it is a kit albeit a simple one I thought it would go in here(apologies if I'm wrong)

Never really been into Airfix or any kind of kit building but thought I would have a go, start simple and go from there, so I treated my self to a couple of kits off Ebay and sat down for a go, it wasn't long before I thought this isn't such a great idea, anyway I plodded on and finally it was together, I decided to paint the cab and the wheels straight away and this is what it looked like.

GEDC0402.jpg

GEDC0400.jpg

GEDC0397.jpg

A lot of things were learnt while painting the kit,like a lot of the pieces needed painting before assembly but hay ho(it's not a mistake if you learn from it), once the kit was painted (where I could get anyway) I decided that it needed some heavy weathering and began with some warhammer citadel washes(black) which went on far to strong and made the weathering look really over the top here

Heavy11.jpg

Heavy6.jpg

So to try and save the day I used a paint brush and some water but to no avail, so next on my list was some ipa and cotton buds and in my honest opinion has done the job a treat had to be careful of the acrylic paint underneath but worked really well. Have a look and see what you think, Comments are welcome but please remember this is my first kit(in earnest) Many thanks

Light4.jpg

Light2.jpg

And Finished

Finished6.jpg

Finished4.jpg

Finished.jpg

Finished7.jpg

Hi,

You have done a great job! Especially if this your first dip in the water of modeling.

The pictures before you took most of the weathering off reminds me of how the TAC bowsers looked after a week in the field!

Can't wait to see the next project. Like you I seem to learn something new with every kit I build, its half the fun :D

Cheers

Matt

Hi,

You have done a great job! Especially if this your first dip in the water of modeling.

The pictures before you took most of the weathering off reminds me of how the TAC bowsers looked after a week in the field!

Can't wait to see the next project. Like you I seem to learn something new with every kit I build, its half the fun :D

Cheers

Matt

Coming from you that is quite a compliment I've seen some of the work that you've done, in love with the 75t crane at the mo :D

Hi,

If you want to do clean wiper sweeps on vehicles and locos, the easiest way I've found is some tamiya masking tape and a set of compasses. If you set the compasses from the wiper arm pivot to the outside edge of the wiper blade then mark a half circle, this will give you the outer radius. Then set them from the pivot to the inner edge of the wiper blade, mark a half circle making sure you have the point in the same hole for marking the outer circle.

This should give you two half circles one inside the other. Cut out and then cut in half, this will give you two masks, one for each wiper! Leave these on whilst you weather up and remove at the end. You will then have two nice clean sweeps on the windscreen.

Hope this makes some kind of sense, if not I'm sure I could knock a couple up and take some pictures.

For wing mirrors, scrap of plastic card or some off cut bits from the sprue the kit came on. The numbering tags are usefull as they are normally flat, just shave off the number and cut to size. (I save the numbers as the come in very usefull as cast number marks on tank hulls!) Use some wire for the arms, it gives some resilance to knocks! Plastic arms tend to snap as soon as you look at them!

Silver paint or a small off cut from a swann morton scaple blade foil makes a convincing mirror.

Just a few ideas based on suggestions, but as said before for your first try at plastic modeling you should be rightly proud!

Keep at it.

Matt

Archived