EXPO EM South - Portsmouth

kipford

• RMweb Gold

Surprised no one has bumped this. So I will.

ExpoEM South Skills Day 2010

Date:

Saturday 27 November 2010

Place:

The Admiral Lord Nelson School

Address:

Dundas Lane, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO3 5XT

Full programme details will be found in the link. This year it is a bit different with the emphasis on modelling skills across the spectrum. No matter what gauge or scale you will be bound to find something of intrest and its a great informal gathering without the hastle of Warley. If you have any EM gauge stock then you can try it out on the scale mile looped 8 of 'cricketers green' which is having its first outing since 2006 with its new owner.

EXPO EM Programme

See you all there, I will be assisting on Cricketers.

Dave

Am I the only one disappointed that there are only 4 layouts at this show this year?

I'm sure the layouts that will be there will be great - but

It is always been a bit of a trek to get to but up to now has always been worth the effort.

Sadly, although I do like demos I just find that I come away not really having learned anything new, no matter how good the efforts are, the scramble to get within the learning zone or even within ear-shot frequently makes demos impractical.

Does this mark the real end of Expo EM South, with Bracknell inheriting the role, or has it some dying gasps left?

Given the popularity of "training" weekends at Missenden Abbey, Hobby Holidays, etc. then perhaps there is an opportunity for a show that concentrates on skill sharing. Given the opportunity of a relaxed day at a small show like that, as against Warley, Ally Pally, etc., I know which I prefer. Sadly I can't go but wish good luck to the EMGS with this venture.

Given the popularity of "training" weekends at Missenden Abbey, Hobby Holidays, etc. then perhaps there is an opportunity for a show that concentrates on skill sharing.

Perhaps you are right there. Though at those events you pay for and generally get a one-on-one direct session (or so I have been led to believe) whereas the half conversion of what has been an established model railway exhibition into a "gather-around" demonstration may well get either overwhelmed or be no better than the usual "demo" offerings.

Although it is an interesting venture - I for one would prefer the EMGS South show back.

Please note I am not saying anything against the ability of the demonstrators or the intention of the show. Just that I don't think the change is right or is likely to be popular. Had I not been made aware I might well have just turned up expecting to see the usual high standard and quantity of layouts.

"Brockley Green SE4" will be one of the "Gang of Four" layouts at this event. Hull to Portsmouth via Eastleigh setting off tomorrow and it's just started to snow here. I must be mad but a promise is a promise and Tony has been good enough to reinvite me after I had to cancel in 2008. "Yah mush husky" :unsure: :unsure: :rolleyes:

Weather permitting, I intend being there - I'm looking forward to it.

As has been said you are never too old/experienced to learn something new. It will be interesting to see how it comes off.

I'll echo the above sentiments! I can't understand why anyone would wish to poo-poo such an event. Probably through lack of trying blink.gif.

Anyway, just heading out now to pick the layout up and load it into the van. See y'all tomorrow! smile.gif

• RMweb Gold

Just got in from set up. All layouts in place and running, even Tim!. Time to clean some loco wheels and finalise my shopping list for EMGS stores. Its going to be a nice social gathering no matter what!

Dave

thanks to all those that have posted comments and views. those that attended expoEM South last year will know that was the last time it would be held.

We decided this year to try a skills day format with a number of "demonstrators" giving visitors tuition and allowing them to "have a go". Tony Sullivan our expoEM South manager agreed to give it a go. It is similar in concept to the Workshop Wise event organised by our NE and Boarders Area Group last month.On reflection maybe the title expoEM South Skills Day is a bit confusing.

Will be very intersted in comment from those that attend.

And the snow forcast suugests we'll be ok.

Graeme vickery

EMGS Board

• RMweb Premium

What an excellent day, those who didn't go missed a cracking line up of demonstrators.

Mine was one of the few cars with snow on the roof!

That's good news. I think the EMGA are quite innovative in changing to this format. Maybe if they change the date if possible to a slightly warmer time with longer daylight hours they could get a few more 'travellers'?

This type of demo day could get popular.

36E

I agree with Tim V. There may have been only four layouts but they embraced a wide range of interests. The same is true, even more so, of the demonstration stands and I had several very useful conversations with the demonstrators. All in all it was a worthwhile event and I hope that EMGS can and will find a way of doing it again.

My only regret is my lack of succcess in the tree-making class. This is in no way a reflection on David Hawkins, the demonstrator, who managed to teach an 8 year old boy to do i! My attempt was smuggled off the premises and rests in a place of concealment until I feel temperamentally suited to having another go.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Chris

You looked like you were doing ok when I was talking to you and Dave! PS the boy in question was the son of one of our club members. Not sure if it was prophetic given the time of year but his name is Joseph!

Agreed the format appeared to work. John James (chassis and loco building guru) was saying he had a guy turn up with an etched loco chassis kit having never built one. He went home with a fully built split axle chassis he had made!

I think the EMGS will do it again, but whether its in Portsmouth again who knows, at present I doubt it.

Regards

Dave

Brilliant day out! Arrived at 10.30, didn't leave until gone 3.30. Thoroughly enjoyed myself viewing the 4 good layouts, listening to the various experts, watching the tree building efforts of my fellow punters and getting hands on with a static grass applicator thanks to Tony Hill. His new book looks very interesting as well; another one for the Christmas list. Many thanks to Steve Barnfield for fettling my bow pen so that that even I managed to draw some nice thin lines without blobs!

I learnt a huge amount yesterday so I think it's definitely worth doing again.

Arthur

PS Lunch was good as well.

What a cracking day!

I took my apron and certainly got “down & messy†with Tony Hill. I didn’t consider using a static grass machine for anything other than, well, laying static grass! How wrong was I?

I’ve just ordered Tony’s new book from Crowood Press and, having thumbed through Tony’s advance copy, I can’t wait for the postman to arrive soon.

I agree with others comments, the format was very good and yes you can learn new tricks.

I was with John James and the guy who had never built a chassis before. John took us through the basics of split axles (something that I’ve always shied away from) and, at the end of a very clear explaination and demo, I went off to the EMGS stores and came away with a set of split axles and a shorting etch.

Later on I saw the same guy on John’s stand building his first chassis under the public spotlight no less! Well done and I hope it runs really well.

Having been looking at various ways to control a set of level crossing gates on my future layout project, I now believe I’ve found an answer that I’ll be happy with after another helpful demonstration, this time from Tony Witts with his “bouncing†servos.

A very social event and I even managed to part with some money at the trade stands!

I hope it proved successful enough for a repeat next year?

Steve

After staying a couple of days with ChrisH and his wife, I have just (and I mean just, got stuck in the snow outside of my own house. :angry: ) got back to Hull. EXPO EM was a great show and Chris and I enjoyed ourselves, helped by the layout running very well. We were glad to meet friends old and new and would regret it very much if a similar event did not take place in the future. Many thanks to Tony and all who made the day possible.

Rather excellent day away with the trainset again. Many thanks to Dave (Potter) and Adam for their assistance. Seemed to spend more time answering queries about regauging/wheeling steam stock than anything else. Still what can you do laugh.gif

Definitely think it's a worthwhile venture to try again. To those who didn't go, you missed a highly useful day out learning stuff from such a top bunch of guys! wink.gif

Cheers,

Tim

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant day out! Arrived at 10.30, didn't leave until gone 3.30. Thoroughly enjoyed myself viewing the 4 good layouts, listening to the various experts, watching the tree building efforts of my fellow punters and getting hands on with a static grass applicator thanks to Tony Hill. His new book looks very interesting as well; another one for the Christmas list. Many thanks to Steve Barnfield for fettling my bow pen so that that even I managed to draw some nice thin lines without blobs!

I learnt a huge amount yesterday so I think it's definitely worth doing again.

Arthur

PS Lunch was good as well.

Perhaps the Association could consider doing this at venues around the country that are far flung from other EMGA/Scalefour events. For example (say), Newcastle one year, Bristol the next, Norwich the next and so on; places easy to reach (as Pompey) by rail. However, I don't really know where the scale shows take place apart from 'Sluffit' and Bracknall (is it?) with Wakefield for the Scaleforum.

Anyhow, I'm sure EMGA Area Groups would like this?

Just an idea.:)

36E

Perhaps the Association could consider doing this at venues around the country that are far flung from other EMGA/Scalefour events. For example (say), Newcastle one year, Bristol the next, Norwich the next and so on; places easy to reach (as Pompey) by rail. However, I don't really know where the scale shows take place apart from 'Sluffit' and Bracknall (is it?) with Wakefield for the Scaleforum.

Anyhow, I'm sure EMGA Area Groups would like this?

Just an idea.:)

36E

I think that would be a very positive idea - a sort of pass the parcel for each of the area groups.

It must (just guessing) be an easier event to organise, potentially requiring much less space and perhaps just one or two "local" feature layouts to occupy those at the back of a demo queue. And, of course, access, parking and catering.

I think that would be a very positive idea - a sort of pass the parcel for each of the area groups.

It must (just guessing) be an easier event to organise, potentially requiring much less space and perhaps just one or two "local" feature layouts to occupy those at the back of a demo queue. And, of course, access, parking and catering.

Village halls spring to mind. Or local community centres. The Mikckleover one we used this year for the RMWeb meet would be ideal.

And come to think of it would the market not be for people at a 'skills share' day who go to exhibitions to 'find out' rather than buy?

Pompey was just too far for me, But I'd gladly be involved in something closer.

Rather belatedly many thanks to all for the very positive feedback. We tried something a bit different - not an exhibition but also not a full blown workshop event as others run. We'll certainly need to take stock and consider as a society how we might build on this success.

thanks to all those that came along and contributed to its success be it as visitor, trader, demonstrator or with a layout. thanks too to the the EMGS south Hants area group and south hants club for making it happen.

15/16 May 2011 is expoEM. Get it in ya diary. I'll post full details after Christmas - it is set to be a rather special show next year but I'm not saying anything else for the moment

Graeme Vickery

expoEM Exhibition Manager

Archived