Bachmann JJA

• RMweb Premium

Here's the first stage of my JJA. It has since had another coat of blue over the Railtrack branding - this was actually first removed so it didn't show through. The wheel rims have also been painted. Not obvious, but the interior has been rust streaked and stone dusted.

It still needs a few more rust streaks on the outside. Now awaiting the other four.

Cheers,

Mick

post-408-050017000 1290550350_thumb.jpg

Both of those examples are absolutely stunning. Would be really interested as to know how you went about weathering them. Particularly the rusting patches on the first example. How have you managed to get that patchy removed kind of effect (if that makes any sense at all) both on the tops but on the sides aswell? Stunning!

Cheers, Scott.

• RMweb Premium

Both of those examples are absolutely stunning. Would be really interested as to know how you went about weathering them. Particularly the rusting patches on the first example. How have you managed to get that patchy removed kind of effect (if that makes any sense at all) both on the tops but on the sides aswell? Stunning!

Cheers, Scott.

Thanks for the compliments.

The "Railtrack" logo was removed with non-acetone based nail varnish remover, to prevent it showing through the new patch - the Railtrack printing is actually quite a thick layer. It didn't matter too much if some of the base blue came off, as this would be covered by the new blue patch.

Then, it was airbrushed with a track colour/brake dust mix and left for about 30 mins. Then using a cotton bud dipped in thinners and dabbed on a rag so that the cotton bud was just carrying a small amount of thinners, I gently wiped off the paint over the various panels/writing. I also included the white ladders and handbrake wheels and the yellow tie-down hooks, as on my prototype photo pic, they have been recently repainted.

Some of the rust streaks were also created in a similar way, but by using a "dry-brush" technique with a cotton bud and thinners. extra streaking was done with conventional dry-brush and rust coloured paint. The interior is also treated with the same dry brush rust.

Next, the blue patch was applied using Lifecolour Acrylic LC09 matt light blue.

The interior then received a brush load of talcum powder to create a dusty effect - some of this was also applied to the exterior. It smells as nice as it looks dirty!

Cheers,

Mick

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Here's the other 4 nearly finished.

A bit more weathering to do. New TOPS panels (clean) to be applied. And the blue blanking patch to be brushed on. I've left the Railtrack legend on one, as I want it to show though a bit under the blue patch.

One has acquired extended chutes - I think there are only 3 JJA's with these fitted. And the one on the right has an extra "toolbox" mounted on the brakegear shield - there's a few JJA's with these.

Cheers,

Mick

post-408-0-36935600-1294770230_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-81461500-1294770252_thumb.jpg

Archived