Most useful supplementary kitbuilding tool

My Coolpix 3200 camera, bought "factory refurbished" for a silly price. I use it frequently for posting on here as the "picture is worth a thousand words"bit is sometimes easier than drawing it by way of an explanation. So much so that I rarely dig out the Fuji s5500, even though that will focus down much closer

My Grand children! My wife goes to babysit and I get an evenings modelmaking time.

Bradwell 2-8-0 nearly finished, just test run, (present from last xmas, and finney A3 loco and tender body well on the way.

Seriously, the most important item is the soldering iron

phil

Those little flat, spring-loaded hairclips - great for holding rails whilst being soldered - and provide just the right clearance of check rails etc. Hold any flat surfaces adjacent to each other whilst being glued or soldered (try them on hornblocks/frames). Oh yes - and cocktail sticks - paint-stirrers, glue applicators and location spikes when building up multiple layers of foam scenery.

• 4 weeks later...

My "mobile" workbench which consists of a piece of 1/2" thick furniture board - 16" x 19" with a piece of off-cut living room carpet glued to the back and a 4-way mains board and my home-made soldering station fixed along the top. It's a perfect fit for one of our coffee-tables. The key element is the carpet which means that my modelling can take place on any table in the house without upsetting my good lady, as well as meaning I don't have to disappear into my "den" for long periods - thus preserving marital harmony! Basically cost nothing, yet priceless.

Guest Max Stafford

I also find that a conveniently placed swear-box also goes a considerable way to paying for consumables such as solder, flux, replacement fingers, etc...

Dave.

Archived