Great Western Railway Journal 76

Kris

• RMweb Premium

Info from Warley suggested that this was due to have been published on Wednesday just gone. I've popped into the local Smiths a couple of times to look for it (it's a new Smith's so don't know if they stock it but the seem to stock a lot of other railway titles) and have not seen it.

Has anyone got hold of a copy yet?

Arrived this morning.

Articles:

Passenger Operations at Paddington part 4 (1933-39)

A Sunday Jolly at Dainton in 1939

GWR Horse traffic and Horseboxes

C&W Dept. Electricians Mate

Firing Engines with Sloping Grates

Letters

Also some colour pictures by M.G. C. Smith around Gloucester (pleased about that my home town)

Issue 5 dealt with horse traffic. I wonder what else there is to say about that subject? My, I'm looking forward to finding out! Meanwhile I shall muse silently on the unique relationship between time and distance that Royal Mail enjoys.

Chris

Saw it in smiths today (Altrincham though you don't have to tell me its not in yours ;) ) when I went to get MLI for the class 14 content. Interesting advertising poster for the private builder of some of the 9400 class as well as some detail shots in the C&W section. I must have skipped past the horse traffic bit on my quick flick through though my own copy will be in the club soon anyway I hope.

14 pages is some skip! It covers rules, arrangements and accidents and deserves careful study.

For those fascinated by what servants of the GWR did to earn a living, there are two articles. Chris Turner examines, as only he can, the work of a C&W electrician's mate and Bob Crump looks at firing engines with a sloping grate. Don't dismiss that one out of hand as there are two fine photos of cabs and their fittings.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Gratuitous bump ;)

Picked up my copy a couple of days ago and as is often the case, bought it on the strength of the colour photos alone. I never tire of these delightful little snippets and it's always nice to look back at these items in back issues too, it's amazing how much detail there is in many of them.

In this issue, I found Chris Turner's article on Reading very enjoyable, with a particularly useful shot of the west end bays and some none corridor stock in BR days. Keith Ettle's seven page spread 'A Sunday Jolly At Dainton' ticks several boxes too... the going away shot on page 207 shows a nice selection of stock!

Nidge

Archived