The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

In 2007-8 Derby only won one game all season being the 6th match against Newcastle. I don't know how the following season started but 32 games remained that season alone although they did win a FA cup tie in January on penalties!

Gareth

Now, guess who was the Newcastle manager when that Derby side, widely regarded as one of the worst teams to play top-flight football (sorry Derby fans!), registered that solitary win? They managed a draw in the reverse fixture too.

Step forward, Samuel Allardyce, Esquire!

Now, guess who was the Newcastle manager when that Derby side, widely regarded as one of the worst teams to play top-flight football (sorry Derby fans!), registered that solitary win? They managed a draw in the reverse fixture too.

Step forward, Samuel Allardyce, Esquire!

They (the Rams) really were dire that season. It was a blessed relief when that season ended, not that there's been much to cheer about since then for that matter.

Still, that sorry league record goes nicely with the worst ever FA Cup final defeat for an ignominious "double".

I have a DVD of that season's match against Everton at Goodison Park, worth watching occasionally to see just how bad the "best league in the world" can be, Everton managing to lower themselves to Derby's level.

And the winners of the Jason Puncheon Cr*p Penalties Team Trophy for 2014 are Manchester United after beating off stiff competition from Sunderland.

Welbeck and Jones book their places for the England Quarter Final Penalty Shoot-out in Brazil.

• RMweb Premium

Is it just me, but isn't it a bit much, the BBC recently featuring Moyes and Man U's current "plight" on the national news (not the sport bit at the end). 

I don't have any sort of problem with Man U, before any Reds fans get angry (and it's not jealousy from a bitter old Hammers fan) - I just don't understand why any one football club (however big they are) deserves such coverage.

They're in the upper reaches of mid table - so what? Hardly a crisis. I'd swap Moyes for Allardyce any day!

• RMweb Premium

Is it just me, but isn't it a bit much, the BBC recently featuring Moyes and Man U's current "plight" on the national news (not the sport bit at the end). 

I don't have any sort of problem with Man U, before any Reds fans get angry (and it's not jealousy from a bitter old Hammers fan) - I just don't understand why any one football club (however big they are) deserves such coverage.

They're in the upper reaches of mid table - so what? Hardly a crisis. I'd swap Moyes for Allardyce any day!

Hi Colin,

No, I completely agree with you. Obviously no news that bulletin and had to fill the gaps left.

I like Moyes and feel for him, but Sir Alex was in a similar situation when he first took over at Old Trafford.

There's only one top spot and no one has the right to it, statistically it won't be "your" club every year.

Also a Hammers fan, of 50 years.  :help:

Rob

Shouldn't there be a salary cap and revenue sharing in football?

Well, Ryan Giggs would have more of them than his total of Welsh caps.

But then, Alex Ferguson has since retired, so he doesn't decide who turns out for Wales anymore.

Brian R

• RMweb Premium

Shouldn't there be a salary cap and revenue sharing in football?

There is revenue sharing. The premiership gets the spoils and the rest get the crumbs. It should really be the other way around to make the game healthier from grass roots to the Premiership.

The game is organised so the top clubs stay on top and the rest stay where they are. The only way now to get into the top spots is if a very rich backer comes along and buys your club.

Rob

am still stunned by what happened at boundary park yesterday  0-3 down at half time booed of the pitch fans streaming away indisgust  abject performance 

second half absolutley batter posh to win 5-4 in injury time to jubilant scenes from those home fans who stayed on 

only at oldham 

• Like 3

am still stunned by what happened at boundary park yesterday  0-3 down at half time booed of the pitch fans streaming away indisgust  abject performance 

second half absolutley batter posh to win 5-4 in injury time to jubilant scenes from those home fans who stayed on 

only at oldham 

Nah... Saw Walsall FC playing at their old ground, Fellows Park, in the 50s.

Walsall's young GK, Malcolm Finlayson (later played for Wolves and England) got a bad cut to his head and went to hospital for stitches when Walsall were 3-0 up.

No Substitutes allowed then so an outfielder went in goal, and when Finlayson returned the score was 3-4.

It was one of those games where you could see a goal possibility in every attack .... Walsall won 6-5.

I only saw this game because both WBA and Wolves were playing away that day.

I've no doubt if there had been one or two big news stories, this item would have slipped down the news pecking order, but then again I think you may have underestimated the size and significance of Utd and the inevitable news interest that will follow any major events involving that club.

Incidentally, although a Man Utd fan, I've also been to Upton Park to see WH a couple of times this season. To call them Dire would be flattery.

I predicted back in October that Big Sam would be out at the end or by the end of the season. Such a good club deserve much better. You have my sympathy.

only at oldham 

best qoute was about fergie junior keeping the posh squad behind for 30 mins and refusing to talk to the press " dont think it was the hairdryer they were in for more like the curling tonges from him " one of the now drenched and frozen press corr lol

• RMweb Premium

The Newcastle fans must be pulling their hair out, along with Pardew.

Cabaye is going to PSG for around £20 million. Good business, bought for £4.3 million in 2011.

But if you want to get into the top 4-5 you need players like him.

Rob

Of course West Ham just came for a point - they're in a relegation battle. And they got it so well done. Mourinho knows that really, he's just frustrated that Chelsea 'lost' two points and Allardyce stifled his team. Rode some luck certainly, and not pretty, but this is survival.

• RMweb Premium

I loved the 19th century football comment from Mourinho...as 19th century it certainly wasn't. Matches back then often had cricket scores, not 0-0 draws!

Edit:

Just seen this...http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25958046

I wondered how long before an article would appear on this...

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus

I'd have thought with 39 (thirty-nine!) shots Chelsea should have smashed both sets of windows in the bus parked by West Ham in the front of their goal and scored by shooting right through the bus eventually. Mind you not that many Chelsea shots were on target.

Still it was heartwarming to hear Big Sam congratulating himself for having sufficient Premiership management experience to know where to park the bus.

Edited by cary hill