RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

......but when you are often played out of position, then chances are your goal scoring rate will be lower. I wonder if van Persie or Rooney would hit the 'standard' if they were stuck out on the wing? 

This has become a popular sports writers myth, that he was played out of position all the time. 

It just isn't true.

Welbeck was played up front for Utd, just as often as he was played on the left and he still couldn't score even as a centre forward.

It looks like he's already performing to past form with his new team, Arsenal.

"However, our difference in philosophy on how to manage the club made me decide to step aside and allow the club to move forward in the direction Vincent wants." (Solskjaer)

Is that a "posh" way of saying  "I've been sacked because, after over eight months at Cardiff, I've still got no idea what my best line-up is, or how to win football matches on a regular basis."?

• RMweb Premium

This has become a popular sports writers myth, that he was played out of position all the time. 

It just isn't true.

Welbeck was played up front for Utd, just as often as he was played on the left and he still couldn't score even as a centre forward.

It looks like he's already performing to past form with his new team, Arsenal.

Okay, agreed...but in fairness I did not say he was always played out of position. Your own comment implies he was out of position about 50% of the time, therefore his goal-scoring rate is likely to be lower. I am not saying he would have scored the same rate as van Persie or Rooney (we'll find out at the end of the season no doubt), just we are not comparing apples with apples here...

"For the first time in their Premier League history (Manchester) United have thrown away a two goal lead to lose." (BBC Football) and I was there.

Yeaahhhh..... Well done you Super Foxes......losing 3-1 and then..... Four goals in 21 minutes ain't bad and we could have had another two in that purple patch

I would recommend any other Premier League team due to play Man.Utd.to attack them as often as possible, and not stand off like Q.P.R did last week, because their back four is absolutely SHOCKING at the moment.

I think the arrogant Mr. LVG may have to abandon his "Total Football" strategy for the time being, as it can't be implemented properly with the shower of dismal defenders United have at the moment.

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 1

whats the similarity between king Richard the third and man utd ?

they both got buried in Leicester ! :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

But only Man. Utd got buried almost singlehanded by Jamie Vardy - one goal, one assist, two penalties "won" and an "accidental" assist for the fifth goal.

Not a bad full Premiership debut for a chap who was playing Non-League football in Tier Eight four years ago for Stocksbridge Park Steels. He seems to have made the "step-up" to the Premier League quite well and he only cost about three weeks of Falcao's wages to buy.

• Like 1

But only Man. Utd got buried almost singlehanded by Jamie Vardy - one goal, one assist, two penalties "won" and an "accidental" assist for the fifth goal.

Not a bad full Premiership debut for a chap who was playing Non-League football in Tier Eight four years ago for Stocksbridge Park Steels. He seems to have made the "step-up" to the Premier League quite well and he only cost about three weeks of Falcao's wages to buy.

In all fairness though Leicesters first goal may have gone out before he crossed it and the first penalty was never a penalty in a million years. Shocking performance by the ref but fair play to Leicester they battled well and got the result.

....and so the struggling East Midlands club continues to live the dream LOL

Yes, I shall have to re-visit my "Cambiasso" post, as he seems to be quite happy at Leicester after all:

post-9751-0-84169900-1411382545.jpg

1. Cambiasso in shock as he is told he is to be exiled to a struggling East Midlands team which has never won anything worthwhile in 125 years.

post-9751-0-93084300-1411382900.jpg

2. Cambiasso, looking happier and living the dream, after scoring the equaliser against Man.Utd yesterday.

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 1

David,

I couldn't make it up yesterday as I was on call, and just as I was about to sit down to watch it I got called out :angry:  :angry:

And to top it all off, I had to listen to Spurs v WBA on Radio 5 live, :angry:  :angry:  and so only got snippets of the game, but did watch the highlights on MoTD2 last night.

What a game!!!, what an atmosphere there must have been at the KP!!! Had to laugh when the commentator had to apologise for the camera shake, due to the whole of the stadium (Apart from one small corner) was bouncing :laugh:  :laugh:

I was very disappointed in LVG's comments after the game though, there were no plaudits for how City had played, all he said was, "We had this game in our back pockets and threw it away, Leicester didn't win this game, we lost it" or something like that.

A message for Mr LVG, try having a little bit more humility when your £150million team is beaten by a team worth much less and who actually tried harder than your team did, this is why most football supporters of 'smaller' teams dislike the 'bigger' teams, lack of humility and praise for the opposition. I would say that after last weeks result against QPR, most of the United team thought that all they had to do was turn up at the KP and they would get the 3 points as we would be just like QPR and fold after the first goal against them.

Right I'll now come back down to planet Earth and realise that at the end of the season, Man U will more than likely be way above us and we won't be in a Europa League spot for much longer, but until that happens, I'm gonna milk this result for all it's worth :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:

Regards

Neal

UTF

• Like 2

I particularly enjoyed the MoTD2 post match analysis shot of the Man.Utd back four all steadfastly ignoring each other, whilst they were all pointing fingers in different directions - "Watch the left wing"..... "Watch the right wing"..... "Watch the centre"..... "Make sure they don't get behind us"......Priceless.

• RMweb Gold

I particularly enjoyed the MoTD2 post match analysis shot of the Man.Utd back four all steadfastly ignoring each other, whilst they were all pointing fingers in different directions - "Watch the left wing"..... "Watch the right wing"..... "Watch the centre"..... "Make sure they don't get behind us"......Priceless.

I liked the shot of the Back Four Diamond formation. Nobody out wide, all standing near the penalty spot.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

Ours is not the only top league with unfamiliar names at the top, SV07 Paderborn currently lead the German Bundesliga.

Then again, if they score goals like this one, they deserve to be top. Nice one Moritz Stoppelkamp!

http://sport.bt.com/video-01363814401986?videoid=3797679037001&videotitle=Stoppelkamp%20scores%20epic%2083-yard%20strike&videoimage=v1%2Funsecured%2Fmedia%2F2503979514001%2F201409%2F2899%2F2503979514001_3797798488001_stop-bc.jpg 

In all fairness though Leicesters first goal may have gone out before he crossed it and the first penalty was never a penalty in a million years. Shocking performance by the ref but fair play to Leicester they battled well and got the result.

No, Manchester United had the same sort of refereeing most other teams usually have. Get used to it!

No, Manchester United had the same sort of refereeing most other teams usually have. Get used to it!

Don't get me wrong it was great to see them on the receiving end of some bad decisions yesterday but it goes to show how a game can change on one decision. Had he not given the first penalty then I couldn't see Leicester getting back in to the game. After it went in there was only one winner

• RMweb Premium

Is there a link to this? Hopefully it'll be available here.

Is there a link to this? Hopefully it'll be available here.

A couple of screen shots to be going on with:

Here's a screen shot of the dis-United pointing fingers with zero eye-contact being made:

post-9751-0-29335400-1411431878_thumb.jpg

Analysis:

"Four players all pointing fingers in different directions and at different things. None of them know what they are doing."

And also mentioned earlier in the thread - LVG's newly invented "Defensive Diamond" guarding the United penalty spot, but not much else, and two seconds later Leicester equalise.

post-9751-0-89290100-1411432159_thumb.jpg

Analysis:

"This is United's back four in a diamond formation We normally talk about diamonds in midfield not the back four"

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 1