Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Fantastic scenes at Leicester City today. Certainly the greatest achievement in the modern game.

A very emotional day indeed, and I've never seen so many grown men crying, or with tears in their eyes (I was struggling myself),especially when Bocelli was belting out his stuff pre-match.

Managed to pat the Chairman (along with hundreds of others) on his back whilst he was making his way through the crowd outside ground before kick-off.

So much to commit to memory, as I am sure I'll never experience such sporting scenes or emotions ever again at the King Power and Leicester didn't play too badly either.

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

They played very good football yesterday but against an opposition that seemed overcome by the emotion of it all and did not really turn up at all. I am beginning to think that Martinez' detractors may be right.

They played very good football yesterday but against an opposition that seemed overcome by the emotion of it all and did not really turn up at all. I am beginning to think that Martinez' detractors may be right.

If the same Everton turn up on Wearside on Wednesday night Sunderland fans could start their party now.

Nobody seems to have mentioned Burton Albion's great achievement in getting promoted to the Championship for the first time ever.

Just hope that Derby can make it to the Premier League in the play-offs, otherwise as well as a local derby against Forest, they'll be one vs Burton too.

• RMweb Gold

Good result for SoooperSaints, didn't honestly see that coming.

If only we could keep and add to the squad , and the manager...there they go, porkers line abreast, flying high...

• RMweb Gold

My worst fears are coming true....

Missed out on the title, but no worries, at least we'll finish above Arsenal...:-(

Jeez, I'll never hear the end of it from my golfing mates....

Woeful...

They do rather seem to have thrown in the towel.

Just when I wanted them to get a result next weekend.

Have a word please.

• RMweb Gold

A very emotional day indeed, and I've never seen so many grown men crying, or with tears in their eyes (I was struggling myself),especially when Bocelli was belting out his stuff pre-match.

Managed to pat the Chairman (along with hundreds of others) on his back whilst he was making his way through the crowd outside ground before kick-off.

So much to commit to memory, as I am sure I'll never experience such sporting scenes or emotions ever again at the King Power and Leicester didn't play too badly either.

I heard two excited old ladies yesterday outside a shop talking about the Leicester win - "first time for them" etc. Nothing unusual about that you might say - except I live in a rural area of California! They were American - and unlike what the BBC has been saying they could pronounce Leicester.

Rob

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

They're not singing,

They're not singing,

They're not singing anymore!

They're not singing anymore.....

Not sure you want to hear Gordon sing...

Nobody seems to have mentioned Burton Albion's great achievement in getting promoted to the Championship for the first time ever.

Just hope that Derby can make it to the Premier League in the play-offs, otherwise as well as a local derby against Forest, they'll be one vs Burton too.

I was just came onto this page to post my congratulations to Burton Albion on their excellent achievement. Unibond League - Championship in a relatively short space of time. Fitting that the man who started it all, Nigel Clough, has overseen this latest promotion. Burton are very much my second team and, I think, many Derby Fans view them in that way. If The Rams fail to win promotion then I am sure those local Derbies will be much more friendly affairs than those against the red clad reprobates from the other end of the A52.

Of course I hope we can have a successful playoff campaign and make Burton wait for a competitive visit to Pride Park. It would complete a nice promotion double.

Meanwhile 25ish miles north of Leicester the Oldest Football League Club is yet again managerless with more rumours abou. its future than to make any sane supporter a nervous wreck. The players should appald the fans was a comment which summed up the situation. Anyway happy things do occur in the darkest days and this statue to Jimmy Sirrel and his sidekick Jack Wheeler was unveiled outside Meadow Lane recalling the days Notts County were not the joke they are today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-36215574

Edited by Butler Henderson

I remember going to watch Notts County vs Chelsea at Meadow Lane, when they were in the same division..........

In the 1990s I was a Season Ticket Holder at Brentford as I lived locally at the time. In 91-92 they were promoted to what is now the Championship. Some big names were in this league at the time and I saw Brentford play Leicester (my home town team who I first watched in the 57-58 season) as well as County (one of my Uncles team). Brentford were relegated at the end of the season as they finished one point behind Sunderland. Newcastle were also in the division and were promoted.

My local team is currently Maidstone United who I watched clinch a place in the Vanarama South Play-Off Final on Sunday. Big local derby at Ebbsfleet on Saturday for promotion the the Vanarama Conference.

Edited by Littlethorpe

• RMweb Gold

There seems to be a lot more mobility between the divisions than there used to be. Currently a lot of clubs in Leagues 1 & 2 that have known Premiership football. And, despite so few clubs having won the Premiership, two of them are clubs that have been in the third tier.

There seems to be a lot more mobility between the divisions than there used to be. Currently a lot of clubs in Leagues 1 & 2 that have known Premiership football. And, despite so few clubs having won the Premiership, two of them are clubs that have been in the third tier.

That all changed when the big money and the premiership came. When it was just the FA and 4 divisions, there was a lot more parity. Now big cash ensures bigger teams tend not to sink into the abyss but bounce back within a season or 2. (Leeds being the exception) Now we have a group of around a dozen clubs that will yo-yo until they get a big wodge of cash. See also Man City.

I remember seeing County @ Upton Park in 83. 3-0 to the Cockney Boys and it could have been 7-0.