The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Surprised to see our very own Riyad Mahrez heading France Football's "public vote" for the Ballon d'Or with 39% of total votes of 1.8 million votes cast, and Messi (26%) and Ronaldo (20%) trailing in his wake.

I can only only assume the poll has been hacked, or Mahrez and Messi being next to one another alphabetically in the voting list has led to miscast votes :jester:

Still in won't matter in the end, since I understand the final award will be based on the opinions of a select group of journalists who support either Barcelona or Madrid.......(not really).......

Edited by cary hill

I hear rumours that a certain Mr Pearson is talking to Wolves. It could make next week's trip to Molineux interesting. For today we got some of the luck that had deserted us all season. Definitely second best in the early stages, should have conceded an early penalty and possibly gone down to ten men. However we created more chances than in several games under Pearson and won the game 2-0. The "Derby Way" is starting to resurface in patches. All we need now is Stevie Mac to realise that Tom Ince is a waste of space and we can make real progress. For now, I will be happy with a run of one defeat in six and the fact we have gone above Nottingham Florest in the table.

Dare I say it but Gary Bowyer seems to be turning things round at Blackpool, five games unbeaten and now in the top half of the table with a long way still to go in the season. Yesterday's win over Notts County included possibly the worst miss of the season: Matt took the ball round the keeper and with the goal gaping he sidefooted the ball across the face of the goal towards the corner flag.He made up for it with a goal later on though. The chairman has gone on record as saying he now regrets suing the supporters who were abusive to him on various forums. Bit late I think. Most fans still want the Oyston family to sell the club and are boycotting the home games in protest. I think this is a wrong move; my view is that with a team struggling in the Conference they will be offered a lower price than if the team is successful in a higher division, so they will not sell up. Therefore we need the team to do well.

PS. I still think of the fifth division as the Conference regardless of name changes.

Edited by Ohmisterporter

PS. I still think of the fifth division as the Conference regardless of name changes.

I also still think of it as the Conference, it is also something of an Emergency Ward for ailing ex league clubs,

there are currently 13 former league clubs there (albeit some from many years ago, and others are reborn).

Having watched five seasons of Conference football I would say that most of the top half of the division is quite as strong as

most of the bottom half of league 2, and I think all but about four or five sides are full time outfits,

and several have larger playing budgets than much of league 2.

cheers 

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

........ that and arranging to have an embarrassing number of empty debenture seats directly opposite the cameras.

I was amazed by the number of empty seats all round the stadium for Friday's much-hyped match with Scotland - supposedly a sell-out.

Little old Leicester City won their Champions League Group with a game to spare last night.

It's not our fault that the "Big Clubs" were all in a coma last season and we won the Premiership by 10 clear points and got a top seeding and an "easier" group as a result.

You still have to beat the other teams in the group, even if Bruges and Copenhagen might struggle in the EFL Championship based on what I've seen of them at the Leicester City (King Power) Stadium.

The only worry is that Leicester now have 13 points from 5 Champions League games but only 12 points from 12 Premiership games and we don't want to be only the second relegated reigning Champions in history..........although some people seem to like the idea.....

Edited by cary hill

Little old Leicester City won their Champions League Group with a game to spare last night.

It's not our fault that the "Big Clubs" were all in a coma last season and we won the Premiership by 10 clear points and got a top seeding and an "easier" group as a result.

You still have to beat the other teams in the group, even if Bruges and Copenhagen might struggle in the EFL Championship based on what I've seen of them at the Leicester City (King Power) Stadium.

The only worry is that Leicester now have 13 points from 5 Champions League games but only 12 points from 12 Premiership games and we don't want to be only the second relegated reigning Champions in history..........although some people seem to like the idea.....

Interesting precedent - in 1969 Leicester reached the FA Cup Final but were relegated from the 1st Division.......

Paul Futcher also donned the black and white of Derby County during his career. Such a sad loss.

As for the Rams it seems that Stevie Mac is working his DCFC magic again. A hard fought win against a decent, but out of form, Norwich City side. Suddenly only two points off the play offs. I somehow doubt if Mr Pearson had remained we would have been anywhere near the top six.