The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Yeah, B Team...the same B Team that's won the thing for the last two years biggrin.gif And a B Team with an average of 175 first-team appearances.

Hammers with six changes from Saturday, no Parker, no Noble, a midfielder (Spector) who's not been in the first team since August, a starting eleven with two goals between them so far this season (before Tues) and a back four of three centre-halves and a right-winger. And an average of 174 first-team appearances.

9/2? Should have gone for the 4-0 (200-1) and Spector first scorer (50-1). Although I've heard a story of a guy who got 550-1 for 4-0 and Cole last scorer. Got drunk and put a score on it blink.gif

You win some, well beaten in the end, nice reality check, best start for Utd since about '85/6, went to every game on that run, won nowt that season. Take it from me, us old(er) hands don't expect us to win everything. Having said that, wouldn't like to have been in the dressing room after.............

SO it appears tonight that England only got 2 votes ( includes 1 from our own delegate ]. Now thats a joke. It also appears, according to the television news, that Blatter reminded the delegates of the recent 'bung' accusations just before the vote. The sooner Blatter and his mate Plattini [ i think he's got something to do with FIFA or UEFA at least ] gothen we no chance in football as they dislike us so much. Sour grapes !! Yes maybe, but surely we are better placed than Russia to hold a World Cup. :angry:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I understand the rationale for choosing Russia to host 2018, and Qatar for 2022, was based on the success of South Africa and a desire to have the world cup hosted by more first time countries.

Russia has a lot to do before they can stage the completion; not only in terms of infrastructure and transport links etc. The prevalent racism and hooliganism that exists within Russian domestic football is a throw-back to the bad old days of English football of the 1980s. For example, seeing the banners displayed by Lokomotiv Moscow fans about Peter Odemwignie moving to West Brom ( Slogan reads ‘Thank You West Brom’ with a picture of a banana)* makes you wonder about FIFA and their priorities when making this decision. Likewise for the monkey chants when black players of visiting teams get the ball in matches.

Football federations like Russia, as well as the clubs, should work to stamp out situations like this. If not, they should be punished; not rewarded like this. For this reason granting Russia the World Cup sends out a very poor message from FIFA.

* Incidentally, WBA fans responded with a banner reading ‘Thanks Lokomotiv’; based on the fact he has put away 4 goals in 11 starts this season…

• Like 2

Guest Max Stafford

"* Incidentally, WBA fans responded with a banner reading ‘Thanks Lokomotiv’; based on the fact he has put away 4 goals in 11 starts this season…"

Yep, good ol' Baggies...! :D

Dave.

I was afraid that England was heading for a fall in thinking that Johnny Foreigner would be able to resist the temptation to tweak the "three lions' " tails. Alas, it was "exit, pursued by a bear"...

Correct - FIFA's decision had little to do with England's bid, the quality of our stadia, the ability of the authorities in this country to stage and police large events, without resorting to water cannon and mass administrative deportations.

Similarly it had nothing to do with media coverage of FIFA officials lining their pockets.

It had nothing to do with the hooliganism we bred, but had faced and all but eradicated before it even took hold in other countries.

It had nothing to do with racist chanting by fans, again virtually unheard of at stadia throughout this country (I'm not too naive to say it's non-existent, after all I watch Cardiff City !) where again it was challenged and dealt with before many Eastern European countries ever allowed black (and ethnic minority) players to take to their fields. .

Forget Iran, forget North Korea, forget Zimbabwe - we have to remember that alongside Uncle Sam we are the most despised nation on the planet, where in some quarters we subsidise the feeding, clothing, schooling and employment of Johnny Foreigner and his extended family,to whom we also provide some security by training their police and armed forces - yet they are still brought up to despise us, and they will grasp every opportunity to 'get one over us'.

Think I'm wrong ?

The U.N. praised the people of the UK because they felt we gave more, per head, toward the Pakistan flood appeal than the population of any other country.

Think back to the Tsunami, and the subsequent appeals, concerts and charitable events that took place across the UK and how much we donated per head.

In most of the countries effected, there was one dominant religion, and yet after these disasters we never hear of how much the major oil producing countries where the same religion is dominant donated toward the rescue and rebuilding ?

There is little doubt that FIFA is as transparent and democratic (as Formula 1 ?) many a central African republic, but we are stuck with it.

I feel a moderator's finger on the 'delete' button here, but I don't think there's much in this post that's untrue ?

If so, I'll end up doing what we in this country do best, 'donning sackcloth and ashes' for some misdemeanour committed hundreds of years ago.

Rant over.

Brian R

• Like 4

Brian R ,

You have hit the nail exactly on the head.................................

i was chatting to some french aircrew yesterday after the FIFA announcement and these guys said surely the english didnt excpect to win , no one in europe like the english ,particularly those in positions of authority like Platini and Blatter, and they are always looking to give the english a bloody nose.

Also dont forget FIFA are alledgedly not exactly whiter than white regarding bungs etc..............

Regards

Paul

Guest dilbert

we have to remember that alongside Uncle Sam we are the most despised nation on the planet, where in some quarters we subsidise the feeding, clothing, schooling and employment of Johnny Foreigner and his extended family,to whom we also provide some security by training their police and armed forces - yet they are still brought up to despise us, and they will grasp every opportunity to 'get one over us'.

no one in europe like the english ,particularly those in positions of authority like Platini and Blatter, and they are always looking to give the english a bloody nose.

Those statements are one of the reasons why I left the UK many moons ago - Thatcher in her prime and that "condescending" attitude... dilbert :(

Oh dear, did I trigger off this slight unpleasantness with my "Johnny Foreigner" post? I was trying, apparently unsuccessfully, to poke fun at the overconfidence followed by the "How can we lose when we're so sincere?" reaction in the England camp. Plus, I couldn't resist the Shakespeare/Russia pun. (Pretentious? МЕÐЯ?)rolleyesclear.gif

Please note Dilbert , the comment i posted was made by frenchmen , not me , i have worked all over europe for the last 20 years and have come across these views on numerous occasions.

I certainly dont have a " condescending" attitude to foreigners , my mother is Italian and it would be therefore hypocritical for me to have that view.

regards Paul.

Those statements are one of the reasons why I left the UK many moons ago - Thatcher in her prime and that "condescending" attitude

Dilbert,

I don't need a lecture, try being Welsh and having our neighbours.

You know, the ones that tell a Welshman "I went to wales on holiday once, they're so rude, you walk into a pub, or a shop and they're alll speaking Welsh."

You know, the holiday makers from 'Essex' who don't like the Welsh to speak their mother tongue in their homeland, but don't complain when they pop into Mr Patel's shop to buy 'The Sun' he's speaking to his wife in Gudjarati, or when he buys a kebab, the man carving it speaks to his colleagues in Kurdish or when he calls into the 'China Sea' Take Away, the staff are chattering in Cantonese.

You know, the same folk who extract the urine out of words we Welsh have adopted, and modified e.g. 'ambiwlans' or 'bws' but have forgotten that their whole language is a mixture of latin, Greek, French and any number of Indo-germanic tongues.

Perhaps this is another reason FIFA looked elsewhere - after all there's no such 'ignorance' in Russia, they're such a fun loving, gregarious nation.

Brian R

Guest dilbert

I don't need a lecture, try being Welsh and having our neighbours.

I don't need to try - and I am from the North... dilbert

Perhaps, gentlemen, returning to the subject of football as opposed national differences?

There's a lot of anger this morning over reports we should have had 5 as opposed 2 votes. I don't understand why we seem to believe a promise (from anyone, including us own english) is something that won't be broken. Societal values simply aren't the same in that category anywhere, as they might have been fifty years ago.

What's interesting to me is that the Dutch/Belgian bid got four votes in R1 but only two in R2. Which suggests (to me) that two votes went to them in R1 simply to shaft England.

Hi

All this game have been PostPoned because of Weather

Saturday

Premier League

Blackpool v Manchester United

Championship

Doncaster v Barnsley

Hull v QPR

Nottingham Forest v Bristol City

Portsmouth v Burnley

Sheffield United v Reading

League One

Brentford v Notts County

Brighton v Colchester

Brentford v Notts County

Dagenham & Redbridge v Huddersfield

Hartlepool v Southampton

Leyton Orient v Carlisle

MK Dons v Plymouth

Rochdale v Charlton

Walsall v Oldham

Yeovil v Peterborough

League Two

Accrington Stanley v Shrewsbury

Aldershot v Bradford

Bury v Chesterfield

Cheltenham v Lincoln City

Crewe v Wycombe

Gillingham v Rotherham

Hereford v Morecambe

Port Vale v Stevenage

Southend v Macclesfield

Torquay v Burton Albion

Blue Square Bet Premier

Darlington v Kidderminster

Eastbourne Borough v Gateshead

Forest Green v Luton

Hayes & Yeading v Rushden & Diamonds

Kettering v Bath City

Mansfield v Barrow

Histon v Fleetwood Town

Southport v Grimsby

Wrexham v Crawley Town

York v AFC Wimbledon

Scottish Premier League

Aberdeen v Celtic

Hibernian v St Mirren

Inverness CT v Dundee Utd

Motherwell v Kilmarnock

Rangers v Hearts

St Johnstone v Hamilton

Scottish Football League Championship First Division

Dundee v Cowdenbeath

Dunfermline v Partick

Falkirk v Raith

Queen of South v Stirling

Ross County v Morton

Scottish Football League Championship Second Division

Airdrie Utd v Forfar

Brechin v Dumbarton

East Fife v Livingston

Stenhousemuir v Ayr

Scottish Football League Championship Third Division

Arbroath v Stranraer

Berwick v East Stirling

Clyde v Montrose

Elgin v Albion

Queens Park v Annan Athletic

• Like 2

Anyone follow Italian football? I keep an eye on it (get to the odd game courtesy of Ryanair and Mrs Red Devil, well there's only so many times you can stand outside the shops in Milan on a Sunday afty without sloping off to he San Siro!), think it's the result of watching Channel 4 on winter Sunday afternoons inthe early/mid nineties.

Can't quite fathom how poor Inter are doing since Mourinho upsticks to Madrid, I've never been a Benitez fan (well you wouldn't belive me if I said I was!) but 2 draws and 3 defeats in the last six for the current European champions is poor at best. Don't think he'll be there much longer.

Radio wave (Blackpool's local station) reported that a United fan on the manchester evening news site wrote "how dare Blackpool call the game off ,don't these seaside people know who's visiting not the local PNE but the mighty united and believes blackpool should be docked points and united given a seven goal win.

Unfortunately blackpool don't have undersoil heating and I don't think it's in the criteria for premier league admission it would also set a precident for all other matches called off today.

Just for this fans sake I hope blackpool sneak it 1-0 or a very credible draw. (seaside people indeed)!!

mark

Radio wave (Blackpool's local station) reported that a United fan on the manchester evening news site wrote "how dare Blackpool call the game off ,don't these seaside people know who's visiting not the local PNE but the mighty united and believes blackpool should be docked points and united given a seven goal win.

Unfortunately blackpool don't have undersoil heating and I don't think it's in the criteria for premier league admission it would also set a precident for all other matches called off today.

Just for this fans sake I hope blackpool sneak it 1-0 or a very credible draw. (seaside people indeed)!!

mark

Tongue in cheek or a city fan on a wind up? If that's all radio wave have to report, it must be slow in out of season Blackpool.:D

Anyway, isn't Blackpool's nickname the 'seasiders', so what's wrong with seaside people?:D :D

I'll wager we do better against Blackpool than a certain Merseyside club.......................................................................................:D

I'll wager we do better against Blackpool than a certain Merseyside club.......................................................................................:D

I'll wager Blackpool to win in a thrilling encounter, 3-2.

Hey, if bottom club West Ham United can beat Manchester United 4-0...! B)

I'll wager Blackpool to win in a thrilling encounter, 3-2.

Hey, if bottom club West Ham United can beat Manchester United 4-0...! B)

I'll take that bet, so c'mon money where your mouth is, say a tenner to the charity of the winners choice....................................................?:D

- red devil

nothing wrong with seaside people just the way the report came across it sounded more of a put-down and I totally agree when first heard it I thought troll!

Blackpool deserve to stay up the way they have played and fought has been a credit to them and a point against united will be very nice to help the cause thank you!

mark

(yes best not mention liverpool thanks still gives me nightmares but if those 3 points keep blackpool up)!

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps, gentlemen, returning to the subject of football as opposed national differences?

There's a lot of anger this morning over reports we should have had 5 as opposed 2 votes. I don't understand why we seem to believe a promise (from anyone, including us own english) is something that won't be broken. Societal values simply aren't the same in that category anywhere, as they might have been fifty years ago.

Yes, but if you asked the 5 delegates what happened, they would all say "But I did vote for you, where do you think the 2nd vote came from"? Since its a secret ballot, prove it one way or another.

At least England got 2 votes, unlike Australia - because the Oceania group ended up without a vote. Not that it would of made any difference. The problem is the rest of the world gang up on English speakers for the World Cup. Not that Football is very strong outside the United Kingdom, in regard to it not being the dominant football code in any of what were once colonies.

Kevin Martin