RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Glasgow Rangers in administration, who would have believed it? Also Portsmouth issued with a winding up order. Somebody help me out here; what happens to the points that teams have taken from or lost to Pompey if they cannot complete the season? Some clubs will have played more games than others. Must admit I can't see it happening, I think the players union will step in and pay basic wages until the end of the season rather than see its members out of work. IIRC they have done this before but I can't remember when.

Edited by Ohmisterporter

Glasgow Rangers in administration, who would have believed it? Also Portsmouth issued with a winding up order. Somebody help me out here; what happens to the points that teams have taken from or lost to Pompey if they cannot complete the season? Some clubs will have played more games than others. Must admit I can't see it happening, I think the players union will step in and pay basic wages until the end of the season rather than see its members out of work. IIRC they have done this before but I can't remember when.

One can only guess, but i reckon the points would be taken away. Thats what happens in Sunday League football. As for Rangers, thats unbelieveable, Is no big club safe ? ( except Man city/ Chelsea with mega rich owners )

Glasgow Rangers in administration, who would have believed it?

Their's seems to be a complex case involving some form of tax irregularity. It appears that the club have put themselves into administration before the verdict of the tax case, presumably admitting they are going to be found guilty.

Edited by jonny777

Gutted about Mick, but lets remember that some clubs second team is better than our first!

Its all about money these days, which makes me glad that I really am a rugby man :)

And there are any number of clubs 'just afloat' or worse.

How can you afford to pay someone in the lower leagues £1000's a week, never mind the cost of the premiership!

You gotta sell an awful lot of cheap shirts at exorbitant prices just to make up the wages bill!

Mick McCarthy has been sacked? WHY? Do they honestly think they can get a better manager at this stage?!

Such a ridiculous knee jerk reaction to a result which still pales in comparison to the 6-2 or 8-2 drubbings of United and Arsenal by United respectively...!

Well, to be honest, as a Wolves fan I'd sooner see Alan Curbishley in the job instead of McCarthy.

SO Rangers Have entered administration, and look certain to be deducted 10 points. Worse still this coming weekends game against Kilmarnock is in doubt unless the Police are paid...well according to BBC Teletext anyway.

A similar thing happened to a club in England a couple of weeks ago - I think it was Kettering, who are, incidentally, almost on their uppers. As a result, their match didn't take place, and there's a fair chance they will fined for failing to fulfil a fixture.

Clubs having problems with HMRC is becoming more and more prevalent; it's as if the club chairmen don't realise that they have to pay PAYE on their players' wages, or more likely, conveniently 'forget'.

• RMweb Gold

Ah well, soon be time to wallow in the chumpionship for a decade or so again methinks.

Be careful what you wish for as my team has been in this league the longest now,soon to relinquished as we drop to the third tier for the first time since 1964 ,the year of my birth.M M did a great job for you but your board have greater designs I'm afraid.How do you fancy Steve Bruce in charge ,an ex blue in that.

Guest dilbert

Clubs having problems with HMRC is becoming more and more prevalent;

Two solutions : partially nationalise the clubs in difficulty or find a really good corporate sponsor that successfully lobbies for agreements on the amount of tax to be paid - there are a few around... dilbert

Two solutions : partially nationalise the clubs in difficulty or find a really good corporate sponsor that successfully lobbies for agreements on the amount of tax to be paid - there are a few around... dilbert

... or another Dr Beeching?

...and now Lee Clarke has been given the push.

Now that one is crazy surprising.

Absolutely mental in my opinion. They were the better team against us (Charlton, 2-0 win, November) and they've had three losses in 55 matches under him.

I think it's an absolute joke and sets a further ridiculous precedent already set ahead of some pretty absymal precedents with sacking managers.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Without full technical knowledge it appears that rangers have tried to pay their footballers in the same way bankers are paid ie without tax and NI contributions deducted the taxman has gone to court to have this declared illegal and as the employer Rangers appear liable for a massive bill. The other problem is the tax office is not relenting unless you are vodaphone or a merchant banker so rangers may be unable to wriggle free.

Without full technical knowledge it appears that rangers have tried to pay their footballers in the same way bankers are paid ie without tax and NI contributions deducted the taxman has gone to court to have this declared illegal and as the employer Rangers appear liable for a massive bill. The other problem is the tax office is not relenting unless you are vodaphone or a merchant banker so rangers may be unable to wriggle free.

The other problem is that HMRC aren't known to be Rangers fans. ...although they might support Celtic.....

• Like 1

Personally, I'm bloody disgusted with the whole affair. Yes, we we're in trouble, but sacking Merlin now has done nothing but resign us to that god awful second tier. Never mind, the players continue to cash their cheques & Merlin won't be able to work his magic a third time.

The 'sack Mick' brigade have ridiculously short memories (& also my contempt). He inherited a barebones relegation destined squad which he somehow motivated to reach the play-offs. He then got us up & kept us up twice. That's by far the best managerial club achievement for a good few decades. Moxeys comments about us being a big club these days are simply laughable. Micks worked wonders with the funds & talent available to him.

My best wishes go to Merlin for the future, along with my gratitude for what he did for the club. I'm sure our 'loss' will soon become someone elses gain. As for his successor, they'll need their heads looking at for taking on the job!

Ah well, soon be time to wallow in the chumpionship for a decade or so again methinks.

I agree, I didn't say I agreed with the sacking, personally I think it was at the wrong time of the season - but given a choice between the two.