RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Gold

I bet you instantly appreciated how the police feel...

Yep, like having bottles bricks and petrol bombs thrown at you because the nation has the worst prime minister ever ( M.Thatcher ) and everybody hates the poll tax. Sadly M. Thatcher is nowhere to be seen so they throw the stuff at the Police instead, many of whom (myself included) hated her and her policies as much as the crowd.

• Like 1

Yep, like having bottles bricks and petrol bombs thrown at you because the nation has the worst prime minister ever ( M.Thatcher ) and everybody hates the poll tax. Sadly M. Thatcher is nowhere to be seen so they throw the stuff at the Police instead, many of whom (myself included) hated her and her policies as much as the crowd.

Be careful, NOT allowed politics or topic will be locked.....

• RMweb Gold

Be careful, NOT allowed politics or topic will be locked.....

Fair comment - for balance I am sure there were as many police officers who have endured similar violence during the Blair administration who were not in agreement with his policies. The point being that demonstrators assume police officers agree with the policy the demonstrators are demonstrating against, whereas all we (now they) are doing is keeping the peace upholding the law and protecting public safety.

I bet you instantly appreciated how the police feel...

Not sure why that comment is necessary in this thread Ivan - there's no way being a football referee compares to being a police officer in any way. In terms of dealing with the stresses of sport, it's a whole different ball game (if you'll pardon the pun), and it takes a certain kind of mentality to be a good referee. That doesn't equate to being a good policeman though.

I have always appreciated what the police do for our society. Always have done, always will do. But all of the services - Police, NHS, Ambulance Drivers, the Army/Navy/Air Force - get far too much abuse from the everyday idiot on the street because they will always be at the mercy of the ruling parties, and therefore apparently supporting their every whim. We all know from the past week there's good and bad apples, but I believe (some might say naively) that the majority of police officers in this country are good, honest, and brave, with only one thing ever in their mind; the safety of the general public.

It's why I regret voting Tory in the last election, and why I won't be voting for any of the main three ever again. But that's for another thread and more likely another forum, so I'll clam up now and not risk a thread lock.

Not sure why that comment is necessary in this thread Ivan - there's no way being a football referee compares to being a police officer in any way...

I wasn't suggesting that it did!

What I had hoped you would have picked up was the feeling of "damned if you do, & damned if you don't".

• Like 1

OK, Someone explain why Portsmouth only have 7 players, but they have to leave by August the 10th or the club will close. Surely that will leave them with NO players. So how are they supposed to fulfill their league fixtures ?

OK, Someone explain why Portsmouth only have 7 players, but they have to leave by August the 10th or the club will close. Surely that will leave them with NO players. So how are they supposed to fulfill their league fixtures ?

I think the idea is that they should close down, thus solving the problem of fixtures.

• RMweb Premium

Many of the headlines are a little misleading. Pompey have 7 'senior players' on the books, but a whole bunch of trialists (for example John Harley) and youth team players. These players are on considerably lower wages than the remaining seniors, particularly Ben Haim, Kanu and Kitson.It will be interesting to see if Jamie Ashdown comes back. He left the club a season or two ago in June, only to return again in August....it helped keep him off the wage bill for the close season!

Many of the headlines are a little misleading. Pompey have 7 'senior players' on the books, but a whole bunch of trialists (for example John Harley) and youth team players. These players are on considerably lower wages than the remaining seniors, particularly Ben Haim, Kanu and Kitson.It will be interesting to see if Jamie Ashdown comes back. He left the club a season or two ago in June, only to return again in August....it helped keep him off the wage bill for the close season!

Kanu, still around and drawing wages ? no wonder Pompey are in trouble. Thanks for sheding more light on the subject. Good luck to them next season, the're gonna need it.

Anybody watch the GB - New Zealand women's game? I'm no expert, but I thought there was some promising play, and the goal was impressive. Being of generally smaller stature than men, some of the women seemed a bit lost on the large pitch, though...

Anybody watch the GB - New Zealand women's game? I'm no expert, but I thought there was some promising play, and the goal was impressive. Being of generally smaller stature than men, some of the women seemed a bit lost on the large pitch, though...

What I like about the women's game is there's a lot less fouling, diving, shirt-pulling, complaining and general skulduggery. Give it time, though...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sanity returning! Pleased with my early season schedule:

Saturday 11th August Southport v Grimsby Town

Saturday 18th August Arsenal v Sunderland

Tuesday 21st August Bolton Wanderers v Derby County

Shame I can't fit in a visit to Waterford United (on a run of 8 wins/1 draw in last 9 games) or I would have had the full set :sungum:

David

• RMweb Premium

After the departure of entire senior team, Pompey have finally made a signing! :yahoo:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19254996

This player marks the first signing for Michael Appleton, and now means we only have to field 9 youth team players against Plymouth on Tuesday for the League Cup. The other 'senior' is our 35 year old assistant manager...

• Like 1

After the departure of entire senior team, Pompey have finally made a signing! :yahoo:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/19254996

This player marks the first signing for Michael Appleton, and now means we only have to field 9 youth team players against Plymouth on Tuesday for the League Cup. The other 'senior' is our 35 year old assistant manager...

They have an Eastwood and a Westwood - that seems to have it covered!

• RMweb Gold
Good luck to Pompey.

My sentiments too, some of the best fans anywhere, but ....

..it looks as though it hasn't worked. After insisting the wage bill was cleared, Chainrai has still pulled out of buying the club.

Or is that good luck? I don't know enough about the man or the situation to know if it is good or bad.

My biggest frustration about football is that it takes over the media, news programmes, etc. to the almost total exclusion of other sports, which are not usually played by overpaid prima donnas.

And why aren't footballers paid on results, rather than "apparent" expertise or their ability to fall over and cry when touched by the merest breath of a breeze? :jester:

Edited by LNWRmodeller

• RMweb Premium

And why aren't footballers paid on results, rather than "apparent" expertise or their ability to fall over and cry when touched by the merest breath of a breeze? :jester:

The same argument could be applied to executives of the business world, who largely pay themselves huge bonuses, yet expect their underlings to accept increases that barely or don't cover inflation.

Indirectly, footballers are paid on results. Generally speaking, the bigger a club's wage bill, the better its performance. This is borne out by hard facts, as in, say, the Fink Tank column in the Saturday Times.

Sometimes you need a fresh start, the feeling among Darlo fans is amazing, our own club with no money men hurrah!!! A sell out for our first game in the Northern league this Saturday to boot. Time for a rant - Portsmouth fans deserve better along with all the other clubs that have suffered at the hands of their so called saviours. Sorry to grump again but I am bitter :mad: .

• RMweb Premium

Indeed...and many Pompey fans are starting to feel the club should just start again, it will take a long time to get the club in a stable condition. In the meantime we have got some more players!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19284581

A few well known players amongst that lot...Jon Harley and Brian Howard for example.

• RMweb Premium

Well Fanatics...we are now ready for the return of the Premiership. My thoughts for the coming season are:

Premier League Top 4:

1. Man City: Essentially the same squad, but more experience will help improve consistency

2. Man Utd: Total greater than the sum of their parts again, but RvP will help… assuming: He stays fit and he adapts to fit their style of play. RvP aside, I don’t think they have a better team than last season (as it stands today).

3. Chelsea: Tricky, as they could sneak 2 nd . A younger, faster team than last season, and if Torres gets on song will get a lot of goals. If Terry and Cahill stay fit they will have the defence of the division – their understanding grew last season, and I think we have England’s preferred pairing in those two.

4. Arsenal: RvP to Man U could be a blessing is disguise. Decent strike-force, but needs more strength and depth.

Relegated:

20. Reading: Not enough quality, although some experience in the team. I don’t see them taking the league by surprise as with Swansea or Norwich last season…or Reading themselves a few seasons ago.

19. Norwich: Second season syndrome will get them – element of surprise has gone

18. West Ham: This is a close-run thing between them and Southampton. I think Southampton will be the surprise team this season, although won’t take the league by storm. They have more guile in comparison to BFS’s hoofers…and there are better hoofers in the division than the hammers; see Stoke.

FA Cup:

Liverpool: A work in progress this season, and I suspect they will look to the cups to get them into Europe

League Cup:

Newcastle: Pardew will want a trophy, any trophy, this season because that team will be dismantled before long.

What are your predictions?