Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Gold

Didn't know Franny Lee was still playing!!

Interesting the MotD discussed the previous game's "penalty (or not) decissions" at length and then decided to ignore the ones in the Fulham/City match, instead concentrating on how bad Kompany had become... Wonder why...

Didn't see MOTD but let me guess - the Axe Murderer and the Hairdresser : Messers Alan "you cant get by with defending like that" Hansen and Mark "I was a good defender, honest" Lawrenson were the summarisers????????

Didn't see MOTD but let me guess - the Axe Murderer and the Hairdresser : Messers Alan "you cant get by with defending like that" Hansen and Mark "I was a good defender, honest" Lawrenson were the summarisers????????

It was Alan Hansen and Mick Mcarthy last night. Hansen rarely has a good word to say about anyone, but he's been there, done it and got plenty of medals so who am i to argue. I normaly record it on Sky+, wait a while then fast forward through the claptrap.

Why am I sitting here, getting soaking wet, watching Charlton dominate yet another match, and yet are 2-1 down to ten men no less?

Funny old game...

Thats devotion for you.....Don't worry, you'll grow out of it.

• Like 1

1-2 Watford, cannot believe the dozens of chances we've wasted this evening (27 shots against ten men Watford).

This season's shirt isn't getting worn again - I haven't seen Charlton win while wearing it the whole season so far! :(

Just not our day. Kudos to the equally wet Watford fans on their way home, good luck to them this season.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

1-2 Watford, cannot believe the dozens of chances we've wasted this evening (27 shots against ten men Watford).

This season's shirt isn't getting worn again - I haven't seen Charlton win while wearing it the whole season so far! :(

Just not our day. Kudos to the equally wet Watford fans on their way home, good luck to them this season.

Never mind mate, hopefully your dedication will get rewarded with some better results soon

• Like 1

A fine 2-0 away win at Huddersfield tonight for the Foxes of Leicester City - 18 goal attempt to 3!

2nd away win on the trot - which makes for a great change after throwing away all the points in our previous three away matches, when we could have got something each game.Perhaps Lady Luck is finally looking our way.

Four wins on the bounce as well - for the last two seasons achieving two League wins back-to-back has been virtually impossible.

As Beckford has at last been sent on loan to Huddersfield, I hope this signals the end of the process of clearing out Sven Eriksson's expensive panic buys and time-served Premiership rejects signing on for a last season or two of fat pay cheques.

We seem to have a number of young hungry skilful players at the moment - look out for Anthony Knockaert's goals this evening if you get the chance.

Highest Championship postion for 1,068 days, 2nd in the League and averaging 2 points per game - do we need Rednapp speculation - I think not.

All far too early to dream of the Promised Land but, after eight seasons in the Championship and one awful season in Division One, a couple of seasons away from Burnley, Barnsley, Peterborough and Millwall and all the other Championship teams that "park the bus" at our home games would make a pleasant change.

• RMweb Premium

Pompey have duly obliged with the first back-to-back wins since God knows when.

Hopefully we will get some consistency, and some much needed points on the board, prior to eventually coming out of administration (will that every happen?) and being rewarded with a 10 point deduction for our troubles!

The fans have kept faith with Michael Appleton, and he has thus far done a great job bearing in mind the circumstances around the club; . It would be utter madness to remove him - as has been rumoured should Portpin gain control of the club.

• RMweb Gold

I acknowledge up front I am open to accusations of bias on this matter, but a couple of thoughts on the FA announcement today on John Terry

The FA have shown yet again that they couldn't find their ar$e with both hands

They have introduced the idea of double jeopardy whereby they think they can use the differential burdens of proof in civil and criminal matters to "get" a player they clearly decided was guilty prior to his criminal trial (remember they took the England captaincy from him before the court case)

They acknowledged that there was extreme provocation, and also said that had he not used the word black with the insults "the ban would have been less." In the interests of justice then, the source of the extremely provocative words to which John Terry was responding - Anton Ferdinand - should be subject of an FA misconduct charge too and looking presumably at a two or three match ban himself. Anyone who thinks Ferdinand was a blameless victim is kidding themselves.

Then again, i'm not going to hold my breath looking for the FA to act properly or consistently.

Just to reiterate from the posts I made when this was discussed before, I don't condone racist language. I do understand how in the heat of a clearly two-way exchange of insults things can be said that you would never say in a situation where you were free to think clearly.

• Like 3

The problem as I see it, is that the FA are obliged to push their own laws. The Suarez case set the precedent for that. Terry was found not guilty in a court of law, but it does not follow that he shouldn't be charged under the sporting body's rules. It's not a case really of "lower body of proof" but the sporting body applying their laws and enforcing them as they would any player.

Where the FA have gone wrong for me is their reasoning as to why Terry is "guilty" - reading that 64 page document this morning whilst on a tea break, I am finding a few contradictions and worrying statements in terms of the whole case against Terry.

I don't think anyone honestly believes John Terry is a racist (he is however an idiot for repeating said language he thought he heard) but the FA's case against Terry doesn't seem to hold water for me. A lot of pomp and circumstance without much substance.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's not a case really of "lower body of proof" but the sporting body applying their laws and enforcing them as they would any player.

The only bit of your post I don't quite agree with is this Simon. I still think it is double jeopardy because of this - they are "trying" the same event. The court found him not guilty of making a racist remark, the FA found him guilty of the same thing albeit as a breach of their rules rather than law

An example of how it would legitimately work is if there was a criminal allegation and a seperate breach of rules. Imagine a staff member was absent from work and caught shoplifting. An employer would never discipline them for gross misconduct for stealing, if a court found them not guilty, but could still discipline for being absent from work.

The only bit of your post I don't quite agree with is this Simon. I still think it is double jeopardy because of this - they are "trying" the same event. The court found him not guilty of making a racist remark, the FA found him guilty of the same thing albeit as a breach of their rules rather than law

An example of how it would legitimately work is if there was a criminal allegation and a seperate breach of rules. Imagine a staff member was absent from work and caught shoplifting. An employer would never discipline them for gross misconduct for stealing, if a court found them not guilty, but could still discipline for being absent from work.

The problem with your example Colin is that it happened on the football field, directly under the FA. If it had happened off the pitch, then they would have no grounds to go after him, but it did and they have to I'm afraid.

• RMweb Gold

wonder if anyone on here could tell us whether the Cort who scored for CHARLTON today in their impressive AWAY WIN is Carl Cort? If he is he is nearly as old as me! Suprised the sheltered housing scheme let him out to go all the way to Blackpool.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks - must be his son - makes more sense. I have to admit I was expecting somebody else to respond. Perhap's he's enjoying a celebratory night out in Blackpool. Hope he's going to bring all his virtual mates on here some virtual rock home LOL

Leon Cort, actually - I just scrolled back through the live text on the Beeb!

Brother of Carl I believe. Carl is only 35 years old if Wiki is to be believed - I thought he was well past it when Leicester had the misfortune to field him 14 times a few years back with no impact on the goals for column whatsoever.

• Like 1

Well done Charlton. Can't believe the Jekyl and Hyde team that turns out for Blackpool these days. To paraphrase Ian Holloway they started the season like Real Madrid, then turned into the Dog and Duck pub team. Looks like Charlton played us on a Dog and Duck day. I would go out and drown my sorrows, but as I don't drink there is a limit to how much diet coke one can sup.

• Like 2

Can I just say - having not said it earlier - the score line doesn't reflect how well Blackpool played. I was genuinely surprised we came out on top. Luck had a lot to do with it today.

Best wishes to Blackpool and their supporters - I always enjoy my trips there win or lose because they're such a class act.

• Like 2

just to keep you happy geoff Oldham gave Preston a good shalking at boundary park today cruising to an easy 3-1 win to record thier first home win of the season and first back to back win in over a year bring on the Blades next week !