Returned goods gone missing - what to do?

Barry Ten

• RMweb Gold

Again, thanks all - I think I have enough information to proceed, so I'll keep you informed. I am very grateful for the suggestions, and clarifying my rights.

Hang on here. where are we getting this idea from?

The OP clearly states "registered mail"

that's not "recorded" it is "special delivery registered" post which is about the most expensive route. If they had insisted cheapest it would have been "Parcel Post"

Off the top of my head, now that you've drawn my attention to the fact that they're not the same, I confess I don't remember whether it was recorded or registered (I did what I was told to do, guv) but I don't recall it being particularly expensive so I assume it was the cheaper option.

One thing I should clarify is that the loco was by no means a total non-runner; it just wasn't fantastic. However, had it been test run on a length of plain track, it probably would have looked satisfactory - it's just that I expect my out of the box locos to run very well, barring minor stiffness due to not being run-in or dry lubrication. So I'm not critical of the retailer for sending the dud loco in the first place, and (as I've said before) I've generally found them to be extremely helpful in the past. I'm anxious to avoid any suggestion that anyone was at fault here - it's more a case of "hmm, right. What next?"

I confess I don't remember whether it was recorded or registered (I did what I was told to do, guv) but I don't recall it being particularly expensive so I assume it was the cheaper option.

I believe it can be determined by the lettersa on the tracker number.

I know it is a red slip to fill out for recorded and a silver one for SD - though these days they just copy it into the till machine and print it out on your receipt.

EddieB - thanks for that correction. Although I send about a dozen or so by these methods each day - I do it a bit head-in-my-hands standing in a long queue at the PO is not my favourite past-time.

I'm anxious to avoid any suggestion that anyone was at fault here - it's more a case of "hmm, right. What next?"

If the letter of the Consumer Credit Act says that only goods over £100 are covered, and if your purchase was exactly £100, that may not be a fruitful avenue to explore.

In that case, I'd suggest that the route which will cause least upset to anyone is to claim your £41 from RM, and accept that you've lost half of your money for now. Eventually - who knows? - the parcel may turn up and be returned to you or the original retailer.

The other point to make is that the retailer should be insured against these kinds of losses (which may be why they suggested a cheap method for return), and don't forget that they had a week to collect from the sorting office.

I know it isn't pleasant when it seems you might be risking a previously good relationship, but I suggest that you should give the retailer the chance to put matters right first.

I don`t think that the retailer was looking at the cheapest way, it is a way to TRY and ensure that there is proof the goods have arrived back at the supplier. It should be a failsafe system for BOTH parties. The problem is that the shop is NOT responsible for goods posted by a third party as it is always the senders problem is any thing goes missing in the post. You only have to deal on EBAY to know that this is the case.

The problem is that the shop is NOT responsible for goods posted by a third party as it is always the senders problem is any thing goes missing in the post. You only have to deal on EBAY to know that this is the case.

Hi

This isn't Ebay - as has already been pointed out, the position is complicated by the model only getting lost as a result of the shop's returns policy.

However as the discussion is now turning circular and the OP has plenty of info now, I'd ask no more comment be made unless there's anything genuinely fresh to add.

Thanks.

Only to say that I am sick to death of having to insure against things I shouldn't have to insure against. The Post Office's (or whatever they are called now) only job is to deliver mail, and that's what they should do.

I accept that any Tom Dick or Harry can deliver parcels now thanks to some misguided Government ideology; and isn't that efficient and environmentally friendly? We get dozens of vans and cars hacking up and down our road nowadays variously leaving stuff with neighbours, on the doorstep in the rain or evev in the dustbin!

This rant should really be in the wrinklies etc thread, but I'll leave it here for Mod 2 to deal with as he/she deems fit.

Ed

This rant should really be in the wrinklies etc thread, but I'll leave it here for Mod 2 to deal with as he/she deems fit.

I see. And what makes you think I'm going to hang around all evening waiting for people to ignore my perfectly reasonable request, Ed, or to move your post because you can't be bothered to put it in the right place?

With apologies to the OP, I wasn't going to lock this but I see little choice now.

Archived