Network Rail Mentor Coach

Evening folks!

Just a question about the 'Mentor' electrical testing coach. I was thinking if I could convert one, and if som, would it be easy? Just a question of what carriage (I think its an mk2, but which one, I don't know).... and also, is this panto the right one for use? Its a single arm, upper and lower, like the real thing.... The only thing that is going to be hard about the conversion, by the looks, will be the roofing. Just take of the roof, cut a small bit off, and replace the rest with a flat roof, and add a few insulator thingies, plus the windows on the middle bit

The real thing

The 4mm pantograph

Anyone help me on this please?

Thanks

JAck

But thinking about it, all of the cutting, the mk1 brake carriage, that will need a few things filed down, and filled out, and also a new window put in, plus the panto, and the whole of the roof, plus all of the details, the undercarriage will need to be changed etc..... I think, it could be done, but by a more skilled modeller. Im only 14, and have been in the modelling for just under 2 years now, and what I have achived on my layout, is upto my skills, the extension, is going to be upto my limit in detailing, but with this, and the 20, I think this challenge is just a tad to hard for a young modeller....

Thanks for your help guys! But I think my thinking was too bad lol. Hope this helps those other modellers, who can tackle something like this.

Cheers

Jack

Hey Jack,

don't be put off by the task at hand. Mk.1 coaches can be picked up very cheap second-hand so even if you were to cock it up, it's only a fiver or so. As the new roof is flat it shouldn't be too difficult to fashion it out of plasticard. I'd pondered doing this coach myself a while back (scrapped it as my final layout design doesn't have overhead wires) and I agree the new windows are a little trickier. I'd considered using some old glazing units from old Hornby 37s I had lying around, modified for the basic shape, overlaying thin styrene strip to make the frame.

I'd say have a crack at it, and if it looks right then it is right. :)

• RMweb Gold

I think the hardest part would be building the Hurst Brecknell Willis pan, these are not a nice kit at the best of times, they are incredibly fiddly, involving lots of brass filing to get the parts to fit together. Compared to that the coach work is easy.

You may be better looking at the Hornby type BW pan.

Do you have wires on your layout that the pan will ride on or will it only travel pan down?

If you want them I've got spares of the Hornby BW pan that I don't need.

Andi

Guest stuartp

One side looks a bit like a Mk1 BSK (corridor brake second) but the layout of windows on the other side is wrong. It may have been a special order using Mk1 components rather than a conversion of an ex-service vehicle. A couple of BSKs will certainly give you enough doors and windows to do a cut and shut though.

The Bachmann Mk1s (certain types currently available from Hattons for ??14 or thereabouts in various gaudy colours) are the best RTR Mk1s, but Hornby do a BSK based on an old Tri-ang model. You'll need to supply flush glazing from SE Finecast as the Hornby sides are quite thick, but the advantage is that the Hornby one comes apart by just unscrewing two screws, and the sides are separate mouldings which slot into the chassis. It wouldn't be too difficult to take a razor saw to a couple, and as Ragtag says the older ones can be picked up second hand from a fiver upwards.

If you have a search on the old forum someone has done just that to make various types of Southern Region EMUs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm going to keep my eyes open for a couple of cheap BSKs and have a bash at this one for a bit of fun. No idea what I'll do with it if I finish it as my layout is far too rural for overhead wires. rolleyes.gif

In which case, keep the pantograph down and it can be on its way to some OLE.

One side looks a bit like a Mk1 BSK (corridor brake second) but the layout of windows on the other side is wrong. It may have been a special order using Mk1 components rather than a conversion of an ex-service vehicle. A couple of BSKs will certainly give you enough doors and windows to do a cut and shut though.

The Bachmann Mk1s (certain types currently available from Hattons for ??14 or thereabouts in various gaudy colours) are the best RTR Mk1s, but Hornby do a BSK based on an old Tri-ang model. You'll need to supply flush glazing from SE Finecast as the Hornby sides are quite thick, but the advantage is that the Hornby one comes apart by just unscrewing two screws, and the sides are separate mouldings which slot into the chassis. It wouldn't be too difficult to take a razor saw to a couple, and as Ragtag says the older ones can be picked up second hand from a fiver upwards.

If you have a search on the old forum someone has done just that to make various types of Southern Region EMUs.

It was a conversion -by the time it was introduced, Mk 1 stock had long since been superseded on the production line.

I wonder if it was a conversion from either a BSO or BCK- the layout of the guard's windows at one end reminds me of the latter.

Guest stuartp

It was a conversion -by the time it was introduced, Mk 1 stock had long since been superseded on the production line.

Thanks ! Turns out I should have known the answer to this all along - from "Rolling Stock Recognition 3 - Departmental Stock" by CJ Marsden:

"QXX ADB975091 - One of the more frequently observed vehicles is 'Mentor' (Mobile Electronics Network Tester and Observation Recorder). This car was rebuilt from BSK W34615 in the 1970s and carried the additional identification of 'Test Car 3' "

• RMweb Premium

The Bachmann MK1s also have seperate sides, like the Hornby ones, just a lot more sophisticated. Quite a hard coach to dismantle, but then you could cut and shut them as you would with the Hornby ones. Probably get a nicer model that way in the end as the Hornbys don't real measure up to the modern Bachmann coaches.

Hey Jack,

picked up the BSKs from the local model shop today. I have a question for you. Normally I just put up pics of the finished product when modifying stock, but I'm happy to do a step-by-step if you'd like to have a crack yourself? (and learn from my mistakes) smile.gif

Stu

Hey Jack,

picked up the BSKs from the local model shop today. I have a question for you. Normally I just put up pics of the finished product when modifying stock, but I'm happy to do a step-by-step if you'd like to have a crack yourself? (and learn from my mistakes) smile.gif

Stu

Hi Ragtag I'd like to have a crack at one as I will be installing OHL when the peco stuff comes out so would be great if you did a step by step I would be very interested

Many thanks Richard

Doing conversions like this, however badly, will teach you the skills that you will use later in your modelling career, go for it using a cheap base donor, and you won't have much to lose. I've been doing much the same since I was your age, and each model is better than the last. On RMweb3 there was a discussion about building SR EMU's using cut and shut coaches, the same would apply here.

Keep a lookout for a cheap Triang/Hornby BSK, if you pay more than a fiver at a swapmeet then youve paid too much! When it comes to adding windows, you can either drill and file a new one, or if it's more complicated, try adding a bodyside section from another donor - I might be able to help there!

post-336-12591360185423_thumb.jpg

Jon

So, with the coach sides and ends completed I'm now looking at the roof. While earlier photographs seem to show this coach with two pantos, it only seems to have one in more recent photographs but it's a little difficult to tell with the angles. I'm just wondering if anyone here can confirm this is the case?

I'm also having difficulty sourcing a suitable pantograph. Can anyone confirm which sort of BW panto it is? I am assuming this one; which is described as "Pantograph with base for classes 86/87/89/90/317-2/319-1/320/321/322/323" is suitable. I'd like to know just how difficult these are to put together, as I'm not a fan of brass as a material.

Additionally, can anyone recommend a good Hornby spares stockist who might have Hornby's version (working, not dummy)? My usual spares suppliers are all out and unlikely to receive more in the near future.

Thanks in advance folks,

Stu

• RMweb Gold

So, with the coach sides and ends completed I'm now looking at the roof. While earlier photographs seem to show this coach with two pantos, it only seems to have one in more recent photographs but it's a little difficult to tell with the angles. I'm just wondering if anyone here can confirm this is the case?

I'm also having difficulty sourcing a suitable pantograph. Can anyone confirm which sort of BW panto it is? I am assuming this one; which is described as "Pantograph with base for classes 86/87/89/90/317-2/319-1/320/321/322/323" is suitable. I'd like to know just how difficult these are to put together, as I'm not a fan of brass as a material.

Additionally, can anyone recommend a good Hornby spares stockist who might have Hornby's version (working, not dummy)? My usual spares suppliers are all out and unlikely to receive more in the near future.

Thanks in advance folks,

Stu

Only one pantograph, I seem to recall someone posted in this very thread to report that pantograph kits are fiddly to build, and have you tried East Kent Models?

• RMweb Gold

Only one pantograph, I seem to recall someone posted in this very thread to report that pantograph kits are fiddly to build, and have you tried East Kent Models?

Yeah, that was me, note that the Hurst pan is also HO and not correct for a UK Brecknell Willis. (I've got a couple here unbuilt that belong to Mr Fatadder)

If anyone wants Hornby BW pans I have various different ones spare, the chunky ones from the 86, and the later ones from the 92 that were in a box of spare bits of 86 that I bought. They are generally too new for my modelling period.

I think I may have some of Beast's invisible ink in my computerrolleyes.gif

Andi

I think I may have some of Beast's invisible ink in my computerrolleyes.gif

Not quite, I'd spotted your comment but was after more specifics. :)

Are we talking fiddly because there are a lot of small/moving parts, because the kit is badly designed, or because of the type of construction? Additionally, are the kits glue or solder jobs?

• 2 years later...

Hi guys, I'm just about to start my second attempt at the MENTOR, using a proper BSK and a donor coach (my first one was..... not satisfactory... to say the least), do you have any advice and things to avoid?

Thanks, James

Archived