Lancaster Green Ayre - The Barn Owls have returned.

jamie92208

• RMweb Premium

Success, a motor bogie comes to life.

Well after all the festive fun and overeating maybe it was the effect of the sprouts but I got the urge to do some more modelling after all the family had departed and the kitchen was tidied.

I got my soldering iron out and after fitting bearings to the axles I did some temporary wiring on the bogie.  Initially the motors were running in opposite directions but that was easiloy cured.   After testing via Croc clips and test leads I soldered some wires to the plunger pickups and screwed all the terminals tight.  A SHORT (10") test track was assembled and the track was connected to the old H & M Duette. 

It worked and shot straight off the end of the rails when i turned the power on.  I quickly switched to high resistance and this was the result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x41uufqaQ94&list=UUG7UbzDgAndHL-YxTjbH2oQ

I was overjoyed and to see it run was a great Christmas present.

There is still a lot to do but the concept has been proved.

It's also the very first piece of motive power that I've ever designed and built from scratch.

Jamie

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

We had quite a large team assemble Friday evening and 4 of us got stuck into ground cover for the Goods/loco yard area.  This has mainly to be covered in various forms of black C**p plus quite an area of stone setts.   We've laid various thicknesses of foam over the areas to get it up to either sleeper or rail height, depending on the photographic evidence.  This is then being covered in Hydrocal of various consistencies mixed with black poster paint.  As it dries various bits of sorted C**p are sprinkled on to represent spilt coal, lumps of clinker etc.   The result is remarkably effective.  Most of the trackwork has now been ballasted with finely sieved smokebox char (aka black C**p) and we are pleased with the result.

I've spent quite  a bit of today grinding up the larger pieces of char with a lump hammer then sieving it so that there is enough to work with tonight.   Then it was back to loading the shed building into the car so that we can put the foam down around it's outline.   All in all the bare boards are starting to look quite good.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3

Congrats on the working bogie(!) And the technique for depot ground cover sounds interesting - I still have most of my depot ground cover to do so might give your idea a try.

Looks like we'll be able to compare notes at Nottingham in March  :meeting:

• RMweb Premium

Congrats on the working bogie(!) And the technique for depot ground cover sounds interesting - I still have most of my depot ground cover to do so might give your idea a try.

Looks like we'll be able to compare notes at Nottingham in March  :meeting:

Thanks for that.  The ground cover is interesting as scenic work is not my forte.   All being well the area that we're working on will be at Nottingham so it would be good to compare results.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I spent a useful hour and a half on the layout last night and after work that dave and I did on Monday the removeable viaduct section is now seated correctly.  I also made a start on the das  stonework for the fixed part of the viaduct.  We are running short of black c**p and our normal source via the K & WVR isn't available at the moment. (He's doi ng a placement year with porterbrook playing with real trains and getting paid).   As a result I went donw to the Middleton Railway this afternoon to ask if any of their santa Special locos still had char in their smokeboxes.  No came the reply they've all been cleaned out.  A helpful voice then said, "You could alsways look in the vacumn cleaner"

We then went and found the said machine and fortunately it hadn't been emptied so i now have a large biscuit tin of black c**p ready to sieve.

Jamie

• Like 6

Hi Jamie,

The lengths you go to for authenticity! I've heard of skip diving but vacuum cleaner diving is something new [unless you accidentally sucked up a diamond ring].

I look forward to the finished Green Ayre, fond memories for me but not in pre grouping years I hasten to add, mine are of compounds, crabs, 4Fs, jinties, 8Fs and the Stanier/Fowler 41900s.

Best wishes for 2015,

Edward

• RMweb Premium

Things have continued to progress nicely.   At the clubrooms much black c**p has been spread and looks good.  Attempts were made to sieve the char from Middleton but it turned out to be a tad damp.  That was solved quite easily.  SWMBO went away for a few days so three baking trays (suitably covered in turkey foil) of char about half an inch thick have been put in the oven for an hour and a quarter at Regulo 4.  The result nice dry char that sieves beautifully.     All traces have been removed (hopefully) and SWMBO is none the wiser.  

More DAS has been done on the viaduct and the whole Goods yard area is starting to look good.

The Yard Office that Il Dottore is building for me is also coming on.  After my success with laser etching for the loco shed I have had the main panels for the office etched.

post-6824-0-06998100-1421335304_thumb.jpg

This is the result and hopefully will assemble easily once it's posted to Switzerland.

I've also sent he artwork for the doors and windows off for etching and they will be back soon.  I had seen on the photos that the ventilator on the roof had louvers on it's sides.  Knowing how hard these are to build and having some spare room on the etch sheet I had a go.

A moment of boredom during Sunday morning's sermon allowed me to solve the problem of how to do the louvers and hopefully they will look the part when applied.  

Before SWMBO went away I was entrusted with pre packed suitcases as we are going away to Tenerife for a short holiday and I have to pick her up to go to the airport.   Somehow some modelling tools have slipped into my suitcase and hopefully I will get chance to do the 10 cab ends for the EMU's.

Jamie

• Like 5

All traces have been removed (hopefully) and SWMBO is none the wiser.  

More DAS has been done on the viaduct and the whole Goods yard area is starting to look good.

Jamie

Hello Jamie,

if you don't post some photos of the viaduct (Greyhound bridge) she may get to know!

OzzyO.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well hi from a snny and warm Tenerife. Things are going to plan and at odd cool times of the day I set up my modelling room on the balcony.

post-6824-0-64471000-1422285872_thumb.jpg

The plasticard MEK and tools arrived safely and after 3 days the first prototype cabwas constructed.

post-6824-0-64423300-1422285816_thumb.jpg

Even though I forgot the photos I did d=try a bit of interior detailing.

post-6824-0-54905200-1422285832_thumb.jpg

I then realised that I mneeded two heights of ends for the motr cars and the trailers to cope with the depressions for the pantographs. I then set out to cut out the parts for the other 9 cabs. 27 more windows in the ends and 36 smaller ones in the doors.

post-6824-0-63903800-1422285793_thumb.jpg

This shows some of the modified ends to cope with the higher parts for the trailer vehicles.

Anyway all the parts have now been curt and two more have been assembled but not had the pannelling done yet with microstrip. However they look good and fit on the trailer car that I brought with me.

I have also managed to eat the requisitetube of Pringles which is ow filled with black sand for tarmaccing the station approach.

Anyway internet here is very poor so I'llpost ore when I'm home.

Jamie

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Well hi from a snny and warm Tenerife. Things are going to plan and at odd cool times of the day I set up my modelling room on the balcony.attachicon.gifIMG-20150122-00273.jpgThe plasticard MEK and tools arrived safely and after 3 days the first prototype cabwas constructed.attachicon.gifIMG-20150122-00271.jpgEven though I forgot the photos I did d=try a bit of interior detailing.attachicon.gifIMG-20150122-00272.jpgI then realised that I mneeded two heights of ends for the motr cars and the trailers to cope with the depressions for the pantographs. I then set out to cut out the parts for the other 9 cabs. 27 more windows in the ends and 36 smaller ones in the doors.attachicon.gifIMG-20150122-00270.jpgThis shows some of the modified ends to cope with the higher parts for the trailer vehicles.Anyway all the parts have now been curt and two more have been assembled but not had the pannelling done yet with microstrip. However they look good and fit on the trailer car that I brought with me.I have also managed to eat the requisitetube of Pringles which is ow filled with black sand for tarmaccing the station approach.Anyway internet here is very poor so I'llpost ore when I'm home.Jamie

I do like the idea of taking modelling away on holiday. Keep up the good work

• RMweb Premium

Last full day here and back tothe snow tomorrow. Slightly cloudy today so I got a session thismorning and after lnch when i managed to finish all 10 cabs. Adding the pannelling takes about half an hour per cab so I have had to tread carefully to avoid domestic upset.

post-6824-0-34536500-1422544380_thumb.jpg

This was the state of play at the end of this mornings session with 8 cabs complete and thelast two part done. I've put cabs on the trailer body that I brought with me and it's rather nice to see it a a semi complete vehicle for the firsttime. I need to to dome straightening out on the sides but look forward to getting some bogies finished and gettng the vehicle running. It's over three years sice I made a start on these and I hope to have one set on it's bogoes at Nottingham to test clearances. Anyway the poolside awaits.

Jamie

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Back home from warmer climes progress has continued.   The new camera has arrived so last night three of us went to the clubrooms to do some work and I tested the camera.

Dave Tanner displayed application above and beyond the call by coming in while suffering from man flu and spent some time laying foam round the back of the goods shed to get the roadway up to the correct level for cobbles to be put in place.  This gives the road access to the 'banana building/extension goods shed.)

150203-1.jpg.a09871552e3a76dc6402ca4fbfe770ff.jpg

I spent some time doing more DAS work on the viaduct.

150203-3.jpg.24156ced62f9dfcfc16192bd5737666c.jpg

This shows it with the first OLE gantry temporarily fixed.

150203-2.jpg.889ef98ccb1c50159f0b56c50ab77d88.jpg

I manged to get the next two arches done which takes it up to the end of the fixed section.  I also removed the trial sections on the removable viaduct that had crumbled.  These will be done again soon.

150203-4.jpg.f2524cd92aae49665d6d3cc2fa5d6e99.jpg

This shows the fixings for the OLE onto the walls of the viaduct.   This is copied from surviving bits of steelwork that are still there 107 years later.

Dave had done a large area of cobbles for the goods yard while I was away and here is the goods yard area.

150203-5.jpg.6db9e8fc91767930ccb25443b9a82540.jpg

All in all some good progress.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I've spent the last few days getting the last parts of the yard Office together to post off to Flavio (Il Dottore).  The slates arrived from York Modelmaking yesterday and I started to solder up the first of the roof vent louvre units.

These consist of two types of etch.

1.  The Frame with small half etched locating areas.

150204-1.jpg.f0905d841348166b1cc930d5d63bb52c.jpg

2.  The louvres, 6 for each frame.  These have three small tabs on them that can be folded down and soldered into the half etched locators.

150204-2.jpg.7999ed7d814f9af83789106460b1a588.jpg

The tabs were then folded down.

150204-3.jpg.08c13e5d9d221568aca0cdccea6c364a.jpg

I then had the lovely task of soldering the 6 louvres into the frame.  This is the result.

150205-1.jpg.f336bf3daa1cc27d68f2a04ddd2cfefe.jpg

I had a bit of time left this evening so set up another OLE gantry to go on the viaduct section.

4 more ring straps were assembled and then pinned onto the gantry.

150205-2.jpg.eafc2c16524edef81eae303483b69b41.jpg

150205-3.jpg.45e56d9d6dfc41b65367e07c8e304710.jpg

Hopefully I'll get it installed tomorrow.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Trawling this thread Jamie and looking forward to seeing the finished EMU. Now about the sound chip for it

Unfortunately it will be firmly analogue but I do know a guy who can remember riding on the original Midland Units as a kid.   He'sw given me some info about colours schemes for the interiors. I've no idea what teh AC motors would have sounded like.

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Getting ready for a couple of busy days working on the layout as I've managed to book the church from this evening till Thursday evening during half term.   Some of us went to the ALSRM shgow at Wythenshaw on Sunday and I came back with some micro strip and some Haywood buffers for the EMU's.  

Anyway we are putting the west end of the layout up tonight once the Pilates class finishes.  The main work is going to be scenic with the sea wall between Greyhound Bridge and the Castle branch to be worked out.   The scenic break at the end of Greyhound bridge also needs some work to join the backscenes to the bridge that forms the break.

Last night at the clubrooms we loaded the last of the baseboards into the car.  Daver anbd I then spent an hour drilling and tapping various aprts of the old Long Preston lighting rig that will convert it for Green Ayre.  This went well and the supports promise to be very sturdy.   Setting up the first parts will be another task at the church.

When we go back to the clubrooms we will be working downstairs in the back room rather than upstairs.  This will give us a smaller space but this has been done for a good reason.   Two older members of the team have health problems.  John out artist is losing the feeling in his feet and after a fall has been banned from going upstairs by his wife.  As he paints all our backscenes and is our main artist we didn't want to lose him.  Tony, who had a leg amputated last year, is now wheelchair bound and has other health problems. It's apparent that he's missing coming to the clubrooms.   As a result the prospect of moving the layout was discussed with the committee.  Thanks to the willing cooperation of other members and layout teams the swap was approved speedily and last night we cleared the space that I've occupied for the past 18 months.  Menasha WI was then moved upstairs pending it's sale   Much sweeping up was done and new space for Green Ayre is ready for when i start taking boards back on Friday.  I would like to thank all the club members involved for their cooperation.  Both John and Tony were very pleased when they heard what's happennin g and it will be good to see them at the club again.  Tony hasn't been down for well over a year.

Anyway I hope that the next few days go well.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Premium

End of day one of the current session at the church.  We got the layout up last night and spent some time looking at the areas where work is needed.  Dave came up with a good idea for making the sea wall look right near Greyhound Bridge.

This morning the scenic break off Greyhound Bridge looked like this

150218-1.jpg.8ac17e6b38a800529b5acd8f83fe86d5.jpg

Keith Robinson (of Kirby Stephen) came over at lunchtime and set to work on making the back scenes connect up with the bridge.  By tea time it looked like this.

150218-5.jpg.4aae2a938ac511e0646e1bb425e9be04.jpg

I put up the first lighting rig stanchion with it's new support brackets at the top.

150218-2.jpg.e89b897b974ab8495367dd716da651a1.jpg

The system worked and the horizontal is very steady. 

One thing we found at Warley was that there was an area near the Shed Throat that couldn't be reached to re-rail stock,  Keith Stuart has worked wonders and a section of the river now drops down to form an access hatch,

150218-3.jpg.2da8d8312674e42d24a44ddbd7bf159b.jpg

I then set out to make a removable frame that will anchor the end of the overhead in the Castle Branch Fiddle yard.  Not elegant but it works.

150218-4.jpg.4b479f80dd0d95678e932b3ce8850ad6.jpg

I then brought some more lighting rig parts up to the church and tried out the double row that we need to illuminate the station.

150218-6.jpg.dbc107bc4bf872ec63adca53a5aa97be.jpg

It works and doesn't droop.

Then I planted some OHLE gantries on the Castle Branch.  Some are a bit wobbly because I haven't done the proper fixings yet. However I liked the effect.

150218-7.jpg.12a7d7587e84909ad68b18f5259c2043.jpg

I then did a trial string of a piece of the contact wire.  It was secured to the terminal frame then lead through the mast and fastened round a plane to provide tension.

The wire was then just hooked round the ends of the registration arms and suddenly it started to look rather good.

150218-8.jpg.94bec59b526912590c9a1b5fb23aa057.jpg

This is the view from under the tensioning frame.

150218-9.jpg.9c6c93da673085a70edee728eae3ef96.jpg

That was a good moment to see.  The first OHL on Green Ayre,   I then spent a bit of time doing more Das stonework.  Keith has made a start on the sedction of sea wall.  All in all a good days work.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Had another good day and then got the layout packed away in time for the chair to rehearse this evening. 

Various people arrived and the whole station approach is now tarmacced.  Keith got on with the sea wall and it's starting to look good.  We just need to do the detailing where it joins onto Greyhound Bridge.   I got a bit more DAS work done.   I also dug out the board that the cattle dock is on from the back of the shed and  cut a piece of ply to fit the area behind the pens that Tony Bond will now get on with.  

150219-1.jpg.a7493922445d4929db4473d9afe32217.jpg

As usual the pens have their own gate onto the road.

Meanwhile Mark got on with tarmaccing the station approach with black sand from Tenerife.   Plenty of PVA brushed onto the plywood then sprinkled with dried black sand then brushed when dry,  The result is very effective.

150219-2.jpg.b308819ee3779d535463fd58815beb3b.jpg

`

Anyway we called a halt to work at 2pm so that what we'd done could dry then started taking baseboards down.

All in all a very good 2 days.  Now to get the August week booked.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 9

The OLE is looking great Jamie! but make sure that the joint between the register arm and the contact wire has a smooth lower surface so the pan/bow collector slides over without catching. In the photos it looks like the collector might catch on the joint. I can bring my test vehicle along to the Nottingham show to test it, if you like. The test vehicle is a class 76 pan mounted at the height it would be on a 76, but attached to a styrene box in a Lima mineral wagon.

• RMweb Premium

The OLE is looking great Jamie! but make sure that the joint between the register arm and the contact wire has a smooth lower surface so the pan/bow collector slides over without catching. In the photos it looks like the collector might catch on the joint. I can bring my test vehicle along to the Nottingham show to test it, if you like. The test vehicle is a class 76 pan mounted at the height it would be on a 76, but attached to a styrene box in a Lima mineral wagon.

Thanks for that Graham.  Fortunately that isn't the final position for the contact wire.  The end of the regitration arm has a hammerhead arrangement to holde the contact wire underneath and the intermediate wire on the upper end.  Just to see what it looked like I hooked the wire over the upper part of the hammerhead.  It will all be soldered in its proper place in due course.  However the offer of the test wagon will be accepted gratefully.   I was impresssed with the way that the wire straitened up and took the bends round the curve so well under tension.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Well after a quite intensive week of work on the layout I was planning to have a day off but the impending Nottingham Show (We are there as a demonstrator with about 30% of the layout) my conscience got the better of me this evening.

In post 544 you will see what we call the Banana building for obvious reasons (aka the lean to extension goods shed)  This was a planked wooden structure built using the wall of the goods shed and the Castle Branch goods shed.  I made a start on the planking last year using 1/64" ply cut on an office guilotine into 3.5mm strips.  These were a faff to apply as they twisted in the cutting process and kept lifting.  I need to cover the two ends, part of the rear and the upper part of the front, and had been putting the task off.

Anyway after tea tonight I set to work and marked lots of strips on a sheet of ply and then tried hand cutting them with a Stanley knife.  After initial expreriments with a steel straight edge as a guie I found that it was actually easier done freehand with a light score then a cut.

The building has now been cut into two with the narrow end attached to the viaduct and the wider end will be attached to the board. There is a convenient break in the roof.  I need to get the narrow end done as a catenary pole actually goes through the roof.  Anyway the detachable viaduct got damaged in the back of my car today and the narrow part is now back in 3 neat pieces.  This has made it very easy to plank as I only need to handle one piece of ply at a time.   I found that if I brushed PVA onto the ply I could lay 4 or 5 strips at a time and they stayed in situ.   I've now got all the bits of the narrow end done that need to be done and will start on the wider end tomorrow.  It's out in the shed and it's cold.

All in all a good evening and the rest of the job doesn't terrify me now.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Just finished another session putting planking on the banana building.   I found that after cutting 20 strips (3.5mm by 12") my hand started to wander a bit so that seems to be enough for one session.   I retrieved the wider section of the building from the shed and made a start on that.

Here's two photos that show the narrow part but it still needs trimming.

150222-1.jpg.5bd47af34f3a73eb31b34a438366a7a7.jpg

150222-2.jpg.6ee6733423d8a4d5e3acf7fbf77ca356.jpg

Tonight's efforts sorted out the public facing side of the wider end.  This doorway gives road access to the loading bay.

150222-3.jpg.0ceffb90bdb350cf041715b6d1efa4be.jpg

I'm pleased with how its going. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

We've managed to do quite a lopt over the last few days.  Four boards are now erected in our new downstairs home at the clubroom and we are making a start on the landscaping around the station entrance.  This includes the area at the rear of the loco shed and the first part of the coal yard which is on the other side of the station approach.

On Friday Tony Bond was able to come down to the clubroom in his wheelchair and spent some time helping on the layout.  he's now working on the design of the stationmasters house.

I've been working on the removable viaduct so that I can get three overhead masts erected in time for the Nottingham Show.   I put all the planking on the banana building and making DAS stonework on the viaduct sides.

Today I nearly finished the stonework and had a go at painting part of it.

150302-1.jpg.c80b07b25a65a3332c79886b7502070e.jpg

This is what the inner side of the viaduct looks like not much further to go with the DAS.

150302-2.jpg.b44a7da87809898cd6dc2283a4002e4c.jpg

Tonight at the club we looked further at the area just in front of the station building.  Here three baseboards join and we need to cover the whole area with a pavement that we've just discovered marked on a plan.

150302-3.jpg.8ebe5a214d4583352b0325fd223969ae.jpg

You can see all three baseboards on this photo.  The plan is to cut away the 3mm ply and replace it with a section of 6mm ply that will form the pavement but will be removable and placed in the awkward area where all the joins are.

150302-4.jpg.e7adc9f918c90a20b2da7d39a0790559.jpg

Dave and I spent a lot of time studying a 1930's aerial photo and sorted out details of the fencing and landscaping around the station approach.  I cut some foam and made a start on what will be a landscaped slope down to the coal yard.

150302-5.jpg.dd801e6288c0ee3866201be65ccecfa0.jpg

Good progress so far.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 8