AAR Multiple Working on Class 66 et al

frobisher

The various newer diesel classes (59, 66, 67 and 70) are said to be equipped with AAR standard multiple working equipment. Now practically speaking I can't ever see this occuring but is this fully compatible with North American system (basically "off the shelf") or is it a derivative (not actually needing to work with anything other than the European locos)? If you could couple a US GM and a Euro GM together somehow, could they be worked in multiple?

I know that for delivery from factory to port, the 66's had a coupler adaptor bolted in instead of the buffers to connect to the standard AAR height and so on, but were these towed dead in train?

Just idle curiousity (and not because I'm snowed in and bored) :)

• RMweb Gold

The various newer diesel classes (59, 66, 67 and 70) are said to be equipped with AAR standard multiple working equipment. Now practically speaking I can't ever see this occuring but is this fully compatible with North American system (basically "off the shelf") or is it a derivative (not actually needing to work with anything other than the European locos)? If you could couple a US GM and a Euro GM together somehow, could they be worked in multiple?

I know that for delivery from factory to port, the 66's had a coupler adaptor bolted in instead of the buffers to connect to the standard AAR height and so on, but were these towed dead in train?

I'm guessing that 'AAR' kind of answers your question but I stand to be corrected. I suspect the locos were dead in tow... I'm sure that a 'superpower' lash up wouldn't be required on the journey to port and besides the locos were probably empty of fuel etc. (winterised) for the journey?

Hi,

They are normally moved DIT

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=228319

Carl

In answer,

Yes the AAR multiple unit socket is standard, and therefore in theory can be multipled to a North American loco and it should work (EMD/GE), as long as you change the buffing and drawgear, the drawgear or draftgear as its called in the US, is compatable, the hook element is removed and replaced with a AAR coupler, I ran two Freightliner locos in Canada like this on test from EMDs works in London to of all places , Stratford, about 25 miles from London Ontario.

I have some pics of this and may be able to post them at some stage.

Ringo

Archived