Dapol open day

MichaelW

Evening

Ive just emailed dapolwith some feedback the CAD drawings of the HST power car - as theres a few errors , which i'm sure they are aware of , but , just incase....

The point of the nose is too high up , squashing the cab door , and making the slope of the nose not quite steep enough - its a subtle error, but hey , you cant mess around with a Design icon cool.gif Theres also a set of cantrail grilles missing , the smoke deflector needs to shift forward a bit , and the exhausts shouldnt poke through it , Plus they are showing the modern axlebox covers on the bogies which should only be on opposite corners of the loco . Really it would be less wrong to model the bogies without them - or theyll only really be accurate for Later GNER , ex Midland, and Cross Country power cars.

Still looks a bit of alright though doesnt it !

and i thought 2009 was going to be expensive....

'179

Even then the 117 isn't currently available, and unlikely to be unless new tooling is produced. Lima only "half did" the 117 producing one body moulding for the DMBS which they then modified to give the 121. There is the 166 in OO as well from Bachmann which isn't replicated to N.

It would be great if they develope the 121 into some of the larger 'suburban' units such as the class 115,116,117 & 118's. We already have the farish class 108,.....the still to come class 101 so some of the longer bodied suburban units would make a very welcome addition :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if the 156's are going to get anymore liveries such as Regional Railways Central/Northwest? or even a re run of provincial livery?

This is an interesting list from Dapol. Having sat back and absorbed it, it is very locomotive heavy, hardly any new rolling stock at all - just the Silver Bullet as far as I can see. The 'monster box' wagons have been quietly dropped and are going ahead in OO only (Farish are doing these for Christmas release instead), and yet again Dapol have announced locomotives that may or may not ever see light of day (so far we have class 56, 26, Pendolino, 83xx and Class 68 - now class 70, and now the 92)

Looking ahead 12 months from now, there are 8 brand new locomotives/DMUS planned, which seems an awful lot. I wish Dapol the best of luck, but I wont be banking on any of these until they arrive in the shops - supply issues in China are still causing them problems as admited in their catalogue.

With their MD leaving in December, and having overheard a fascinating conversation about the return of the actual owner during the year, I do hope Dapol don't put themselves in a vulnerable position by overstretching themselves in 2010.

The cynical side of me could view this as simply a plan to derail Farish - by announcing all the remaining modern image locos (surely there's nothing left now!) they are trying to stop Farish making them. For this to work however, Dapol actually need to release them, rather than announce 14 new locomotives that hopefully will someday appear!

David

Seems to me Dapol and Farish are keeping a healthy distance apart, Farish look to have the march on the LMS theme, Dapol having taken an LNE slant with the B1/17s and a return to GW promised, does that leave SR open to Farish.

Farish's experience of electrics probably kept them back from re-tooling the current stock of electrics but do have the monopoly on the first generation diesels that lasted longest.

Question is, do Farish have more behind the 24 chassis which has meant Dapol have put the 26 on ice or is it just a case there is a bigger market for what is currently in the catalogue and derivatives thereof.

Whatever the answer, it looks like another expensive year or 2 ahead.

actually very glad that Dapol have announced the class 92 as i have been looking at the very nice model from CJM, and been thinking about ordering one. at least this way i can buy a WIA Arbel car transporter from CJM when they appear.

this should sell very well if they can match the CJM one. As along with the Kato Eurostar, that is also being reproduced, you have the startings of a channel tunnel layout.

Alistair

Just getting used to the new site - sort of - and delighted to see news of the Class 121 Bubble car

I will have a couple of those in overall blue and I reckon it will be a very good seller - providing a suitable motorised chassis to enable us to produce other proper Western Region Multiple Units - 118s 116s and 119s and will make my current butchery of a 108 chassis to motorise a BH Enterprises Swindon Class 120 (of dubious quality of execution and taxing my patience), superfluous.

Good news for N though and if the bubble car is as good as the quality of the second generation stuff being produced by Dapol we are in for a treat. Surprised to see people saying the n gauge diesel market has been covered off though - so here's a two tone toot on my desilux horn and just wait patiently for someone to realise that there are diesels, and then there were the Westerns.

Farish have made a cracking job of the D800s, Dapol the D7000s, the Baby Warships'll be along some time, but no one's grasped the nettle of the apex of hydraulics !

All the best, and now I am off to try and find Owen the rails pics again

Interesting to see that some of the old OO stalwarts ((such as the 7 plank wagon) are getting a new body and chassis. If anything like the Dapol Fruit D, they will be very much welcome indeed. Perhaps they'll get around to releasing the retooled planked wagons as unfinished models (just right for PO detailing!).

However, it's a pity they haven't added any OO coaches to their forthcoming 2010 lineup, they are much needed (but, there again, the very valid point was made about getting overstretched...)

F

Very exciting! I am particularly interested in the 153s and the 142s.

My dilemma now is deciding whether to get a 150, 153 or 156 - I was leaning towards the 156, but maybe a 153 now (or both?).

Not going to make any decision until I do some important work on the layout and bring it up to standard.

Its a shame there seems to be no release of any EMUs in sight. I thought they might do something given the OHLE they're working on, but I guess they have to keep some stuff up theirs sleeves.

I wonder whether Farish will bring out some new liveries in response on their 170 and 158 offerings. Farish seem to lag behind with liveries.

...and then there were the Westerns.

Farish have made a cracking job of the D800s, Dapol the D7000s, the Baby Warships'll be along some time, but no one's grasped the nettle of the apex of hydraulics !

Don't Farish do a Western of sorts?

Does anyone know if the 156's are going to get anymore liveries such as Regional Railways Central/Northwest? or even a re run of provincial livery?

Given the comments from one of the Dapol people at INGS about the cost of producing coaches (and I guess the same applies to 156s), I would be very surprised if any livery with demand wasn't made. Dapol seem to be able to cope better than Farish with producing short runs of multiple liveries - which must help with getting the most out of investment in new models.

Modern wagon-wise, I'm glad to see more spine wagons are coming - I only managed to get a few of the first batch, and despite ordering from the second batch of GBRf liveried ones, none appeared (not that I could find anything that suggested they had actually been made). I'm surprised that more VTG liveried hood wagons have been announced - the previous set haven't appeared yet, let alone sold out. More containers will always be welcome, I don't think they made enough first time round, and they were saying at INGS that they can't keep up with demand for them.

As other people have said, lots of lovely modern image stuff, in all the liveries I'm interested in. It's going to be an expensive year... Why couldn't they have released a few less diesels, and spread them out a bit (not a complaint though...)

Question is, do Farish have more behind the 24 chassis which has meant Dapol have put the 26 on ice or is it just a case there is a bigger market for what is currently in the catalogue and derivatives thereof.

Whatever the answer, it looks like another expensive year or 2 ahead.

The 26 is more akin to the 27 and 33 than the 24/25. Unlike the 25s they have much longer 10'6" bogies (like the 35...). The old Farish 33 uses the Farish 25 chassis which isn't right. A rather more correct but also pricy replacement chassis is available in the CJM range.

The 24 gives you 24/1 and 25/0 very easily, as well as 25/1 with a bit of work on the bodysides. and a lot of work on the cab doors.

Alan

It's all good news. I am slightly worried about the prices going through the roof that a lot of modellers will be unable to afford models quite so readily as we have done in the past.

The 153 and 121 hitting the ??120 marker on the RRP when the voyager was about the same and had more cars.

121 and 142 is very welcome - like to see the 142 in Valley Lines livery eventually although ATW very welcome :D

I think everything I need for Newport is either been built or in the pipeline (with exception of a 143).

The 153 and 121 hitting the ??120 marker on the RRP when the voyager was about the same and had more cars.

One factor is the drive mechanism which is a below windows job like the 156 rather than the Voyager's which filled the entire carriage but couldn't be seen through the tinted windows. The latter is certainly cheaper to manufacture. We've also had an intervening recession that has pushed prices up :(

It's all good news. I am slightly worried about the prices going through the roof that a lot of modellers will be unable to afford models quite so readily as we have done in the past.

I'd much rather see a broader range of higher quality models at a higher price than the situation we had only five or ten years ago where choice & quality was nowhere near the level of US or European outline models.

However this is all skirting very close to the same old threads about price, so I'll stop now :)

Back on topic, does anyone know what the time line is the for the N-gauge Cl22? There was (predictably) no mention of it this time around.

I fully Agree with the economy the way it is a manufacturer needs to put his/her prices up to make money because of raw materials ect however it makes it harder for us as our bills go up less disposable income ect ect. It is great to have good quality model in N.

As for a 22 If you think how many locomotives/units/wagons Dapol have announced they will do in the past 12 months it's going to be on a scale of at least 5 years for it all to filter through unless they either have a very big factory or the production lines work at a very fast speed. Good luck to them though.

Don't Farish do a Western of sorts?

...indeed they do, but it doesn't measure up to the quality of the more recent Warship and Hymek releases and as a Wezzie lover is thus ripe for refreshment. (But the depths of my pocket will be tested by the 121 for now).

Matt W

Dapol are certainly ambitious with their release list. Given the models we've seen recently (156, 67, DVT etc) theres no reason to suggest any of these will be anything other than excellent.

The sheer amount of locos/units that I'm interested in, though, has had a negative effect on me - I'm considering limiting my timescales further in order to save the pennies a bit more!

Archived