Today's "METRO" free newspaper

Horsetan

• RMweb Gold

It appeared on London tonight as well http://www.itv.com/london/model-tube80376/ as an occasional operator, I'm glkad you like it, but my god is it dull to operate

Sadly, the vid is a "UK only" event. As far as ops are concerned, that is the problem with such prototypes - they do lack the variety of even a remote branch line, but make it up in frequency. Actually, if that County Gate chap can automate the L&B, this layout should work even better with automation, enabling the op to chat endlessly with the admirers!

Actually, if that County Gate chap can automate the L&B, this layout should work even better with automation, enabling the op to chat endlessly with the admirers!

The owner has taken a slightly different approach - he has recruited low cost labour, and leaves us to run the layout whilst he chats all day... <_<

It must be a slow news week! - I suspect that John provided most of the 'copy' to the Metro, and because it was an easy (i.e. cheap) way to fill space they ran it, the TV will have picked it up from there. It shows what a well targetted 'press release' can do, pehaps its an example for exhibitions to follow, you just need a 'hook' (trains that run on time/not overcrowded etc)for the media to pick up.

Jon

• RMweb Gold

The owner has taken a slightly different approach - he has recruited low cost labour, and leaves us to run the layout whilst he chats all day... <_<

It must be a slow news week! - I suspect that John provided most of the 'copy' to the Metro, and because it was an easy (i.e. cheap) way to fill space they ran it, the TV will have picked it up from there. It shows what a well targetted 'press release' can do, pehaps its an example for exhibitions to follow, you just need a 'hook' (trains that run on time/not overcrowded etc)for the media to pick up.

Whatever, when quality modelling gets this level of exposure, it is good news for all of us. Toy trains this layout obviously ain't!

Oh, and I hope the owner buys his bored team a packet of Hob-Nobs or similar!

Small world. First horse I shared I used to hack from Aldenham (High Cross) all over - into Radlett, Letchmore Heath, and as far as Elstree. He was a proper fit Irish Draught-cross-Thoroughbred, and would go almost anywhere. I even tried to get him entry into the grounds of Haberdashers' School :lol:

Second and third horses also ventured into Letchmore Heath.

Current one does what I term "suburban tours" - mainly into residential areas, e.g. Garston, the Handley-Page Estate at Bricket Wood, etc.

Smaller World - as a small boy I lived in Sparrows Herne, and later on Giant Tree Hill - I used to do a paper round all round the second area - It has certainly all changed since then!

• 4 weeks later...

I used to work with John Polley and he's a top bloke. His models are great, and his layout really does look the part. Contrary to some people's belief, the Underground offers loads of potential as a modelling subject, and he shifts loads of his models. Demand is higher than he can keep up with.

A lot of the expertise behind the models comes from another former colleague, Underground Knowledge Guru Brian Hardy, who has written loads of books on Underground subjects. If Brian doesn't know it, it ain't worth knowing, and the two of them put loads of work into developing the Metro Models range.

Lee

Archived