If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Time to say hello

old smokey

hi everyone. Old Smokey here, been a member since april but not introduced myself before[shame on me]

my name is Colin Hilton and I was employed as a signalman by LNWR about 46yrs ago. Seved my time in Wigan no2 box and then passed for signalling at training school Manchester Victoria station.

best job I ever had, but unfortunately it was at the time when power boxes were being brought in and if you had less than 20 yrs service you had no choice but to leave so I did.

My interest apart from modelling railways are prototype railways pre-1970s, playing golf at home and abroad.

My location is Hindley, Wigan.

Anyone wish to contact me may do so.- email:hilton 423@btinternet.com

Hope to be able to contribute to best of my limited knowledge

Colin

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Colin and sorry that it's taken a couple of days for anybody to greet you here - it does happen sometimes.

You might well find your expertise in matters signalling make you a valuable source of information, particularly as it goes back to the semaphore days.

You'll find almost everything that you need to know on here, and there's quite a strong North West membership hereabouts as well.

If you're looking for anything, use the search engine, as we tend to cover most topics quite often, but if you need to ask, please do, and you'll find some of the country's best modellers ready and willing to help.

Regards

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

A signalman from Wigan 2 - wow ! - welcome aboard Colin

Any photos from your days in the boxes ? (I also went to the signalling school in Victoria, but as an invited guest for a couple of days, not as a trainee)

hi 45156, beast6606, stubby47.

Thanks for welcoming me aboard, sorry I have no photos of my time on the railway as my dad threw all our photos away before he died plus my brothers full collection of original beatles recordsvalued at the time in region of £20,000 plus.

If I can find a source to obtain some from I will try and upload them.

thanks once again

colin

Archived