Calling all Hornby Merchant Navy experts.

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me what decoder Hornby would have put in MN Clan Line, which was supplied in VSOE box set R1073. http://www.Hornby.com/Hornby-dcc-135/r1073/product.html

It appears to work very well....just curious.???

Bob

Hi Guys.......I know it may seem strange as I am replying to my own post, but I have learnt that it will be an R8249 decoder in the loco.....probably.

Bob.

Hi Guys,

I now own a DCC Fitted MN Clan Line model thanks to an RMweb participant, runs perfectly, and this was the later DCC Ready/Fitted version, exR1073, not an earlier model hard wired.

Interesting to note that the sprung rear driver on the early model is no longer sprung on the later DCC ready model. What was the reason for the sprung rear axle in the first place, and why do they make them unsprung now.?

Bob.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello DCC experts,

I note that you advise that a DP2X-UK will fit a Merchant Navy. Could you please advise if the orientation of the DP2X-UK decoder will also be OK for Hornby rebuilt and unrebuilt DCC ready WCs?

I know I can get the NCE Z14SRP, but would prefer to try something without the wires in such a tight space. Unless you know of any other options I am not aware of for plug-in decoders without wires in small loco driven steamers.

Cheers

Andy

Interesting to note that the sprung rear driver on the early model is no longer sprung on the later DCC ready model. What was the reason for the sprung rear axle in the first place, and why do they make them unsprung now.?

Bob.

I think the sprung original rear axle was to aid traction,. It was also on the WC/BoB and Black 5. I found it sometimes made the loco sit back, if you see what I mean. A sprung centre axle would have been much more sensible, but not easy to do as it is the driven one. Maybe it was quietly dropped.

I think the sprung original rear axle was to aid traction,. It was also on the WC/BoB and Black 5. I found it sometimes made the loco sit back, if you see what I mean. A sprung centre axle would have been much more sensible, but not easy to do as it is the driven one. Maybe it was quietly dropped.

Hi Julian,

If you go to my layout thread by clicking on the red writing below, and then look at the very last video on the the thread......you will see what I mean about poor traction.

Regards.................Bob

May I ask,

What is the chronological order of Hornby MN releases and which are DCC ready? Is the decoder space restricted, in a similar manner to the N15 which cannot accept any larger than a Hornby R8249?

I do not own a MN but I do not wish to make life difficult by purchasing a model which is difficult to install a decoder.

Thank you in advance.

DesA

May I ask,

What is the chronological order of Hornby MN releases and which are DCC ready? Is the decoder space restricted, in a similar manner to the N15 which cannot accept any larger than a Hornby R8249?

I do not own a MN but I do not wish to make life difficult by purchasing a model which is difficult to install a decoder.

Thank you in advance.

DesA

Hi Derek,

I have just completed fitting an R8249 decoder to a DCC ready MN. That was quite straightforward.....and I also expect a direct decoder like the TCS DP2X UK will also fit. The R8249 works very well indeed.

The older non dcc ready MN's, have to be hard wired of course. I have just successfuly completed one using a Lenz Standard decoder, quite a large one, but it meant moving the weight forward as far as possible, in order to provide adequate space.

Bob

• 7 months later...

This is a great thread with some really useful information.

However, I have a further couple of questions - does anyone know which was the first MN released to be DCC ready?

I notice the current VSOE Clan Line is DCC fitted and as I'm looking at converting my SR interests from N to OO wondered when MN's became DCC ready and for that matter, if any others had been released DCC fitted?

Martin

• 2 years later...

This is a great thread with some really useful information.

However, I have a further couple of questions - does anyone know which was the first MN released to be DCC ready?

I notice the current VSOE Clan Line is DCC fitted and as I'm looking at converting my SR interests from N to OO wondered when MN's became DCC ready and for that matter, if any others had been released DCC fitted?

Martin

Stumbled across this old thread while looking for some information on the Clan Line Model....I'll do that in a separate post.

Martin - if you are still looking for this information (!) according to the current Ramsay's Model Guide (8th Edition), all Hornby MN locos were DCC Ready from 2004 onwards. The only two locos with DCC fitted have been Premier DCC Box Set Clan Line and Holland-Afrika-Line, which also has DCC sound.

Does anyone know if the Clan Line loco included in the current VSOE set (R1162) is the same as the one included in the Premier DCC set (R1073)?

Looking at the photos of the loco on the Hattons website they do look to be the same (links below). Does anyone know for certain? I know the DCC set was more of a deluxe set (I know because I own it), with lighted Pullmans, DCC control, etc, and a hefty price tag to boot. But I'm after a second Clan Line model with the same level of detail as the one in that set. I can sell off the bits I don't need or donate some of the items to my nephew's Thomas layout.

R1162 DCC Ready VSOE set:

http://www.ehattons.com/52500/Hornby_R1162_The_Orient_Express_train_set_with_BR_4_6_2_Clan_Line_Re_built_Merchant_Navy_Clas/StockDetail.aspx

R1073 Premier VSOE set:

http://www.ehattons.com/20668/Hornby_R1073_Venice_Simplon_Orient_Express_British_Pullman_premier_boxed_complete_DCC_train_/StockDetail.aspx

If anyone can confirm they are the same spec (or if not, what the differences are), that would be greatly appreciated!

I have a few MN's from various sets, although not the current R1162 set...

They all seem pretty much similarly spec'd - the only exceptions I've noticed are the speedo link ( nearside rear driving wheel ) which is not fitted to some 'Bibby Lines'.

That said, the current OE box picture shows it fitted.

Another early Chinese one I had wasn't DCC ready, but all the later examples I have are.

These sets do come up at various prices - the cheapest I've seen is £150. I'm sure Argos / Tesco Direct etc stock them at times...

• 2 years later...

Hi Derek,

I have just completed fitting an R8249 decoder to a DCC ready MN. That was quite straightforward.....and I also expect a direct decoder like the TCS DP2X UK will also fit. The R8249 works very well indeed.

The older non dcc ready MN's, have to be hard wired of course. I have just successfuly completed one using a Lenz Standard decoder, quite a large one, but it meant moving the weight forward as far as possible, in order to provide adequate space.

Bob

Bob------how did you manage to move the weight forward into the smokebox location--mine will not move even after the retaining screw has been removed--via the smokebox door and removal of same?

Bob------how did you manage to move the weight forward into the smokebox location--mine will not move even after the retaining screw has been removed--via the smokebox door and removal of same?

Ed

I emailed you yesterday, are you not receiving my emails, telling you I couldn't remember, it was a long time ago. I'll have another think.

Bob

One of my earlier posts in this thread detailed that removal or even moving of the MN weight will require surgery on the body to remove the boss through which the mounting screw goes.

Other threads have detailed that the TCS plug in decoder will fit without disturbing the weight at all.

My Lady Ava Hay,

Have just purchased a 35023 body(new) from Peters Spares.This is not a DCC modified body and therefore surgery was needed so that the body would fit onto a DC chassis.Dismantling of the body is not required.I lengthened the aperture under the body to beyond the ballast weight retaining screw with a fine saw and cut across to remove a rectangle of plastic.This included a plastic inset(4mms deep) that retained the lengthy metal ballast weight.Having removed the "offending" inset I was then able to push the ballast weight forward into the smokebox,

The resultant longer and slightly wider aperture comfortably accommodated a DCC chassis

The later DCC body has a longer aperture than the original analogue body version to take the DCC fitted plug/chip.

Hope this helps.

ps Peters Spares has 77 of these new loco bodies available--unsold as yet from 2000--via the now defunct East Kent Models stock?

-- good buy I think if Bulleid is your man.

regards ,Ed

Archived