MRJ 203

Blue Max

There could be many reasons for the delay. One of course could easily be that 3 out of 5 people in the Country stayed away from work for several days due to a bit of snow.

Realistically if you want to know you could contact the magazine. There may be opinions offered on here but I would really prefer people only to post if they know something factual.

• RMweb Gold

I've just spoken to Wild Swan on the phone.

MRJ 203 was delayed at the printers and was delivered for distribution on Tuesday. Subscription copies were posted out yesterday.

As I recall, the printers are in Huddersfield, so cold weather disruption may well have been a factor.

Mark.

Contents Include:

Small Suppliers

The Demolition Job by Kier Hardy

Letters

A Derby lightweight 2 car DMU in P4 by Rodney Cooper

Turntable for Ilfracombe by Martin Moss

A sprung Bachman A1 by Pete Hill

Modellers of stature by Mike Peascod

2010 Christmas competition

Double junction for Slattocks by Dick Potter

Little boxes the H type container by Geoff Kent

Diary

I have my copy in front of me and it is an other good edition.

Very interesting article about the Brassmasters A1 chassis, very enlightening and stimulating.

The DMU article is amazing - talk about parcelling as an art form...

Top Stuff B)

It saddens me to say it but this particular issue really didn't light up my day. I rapidly got bored reading the articles, even though I shouldn't have, perhaps it was today's weather but even the photographs looked rather dismal as on the cover. (I just cannot see the point of "night time" photos.)

There was one positive in among the "Small suppliers" the news about CSP - though I await the announcement of their website with even greater anticipation.

• RMweb Gold

I await my copy with interest.

One of the big advantages of a thread like this, is that it enables me to determine when the subscription copies are sent out. Thus, if my mother-in-law has forgotten to renew the subscription, then I'll know and do something about it! (a kind of 'standing order' Christmas present!)....

I liked the article on the Brassmasters/Bachmann A1. Even better was the response from Brassmasters highlighting future goodies. I found the DMU article very hard going. I could not understand why he found the 57' length to be odd. Nor could I follow his train of thought about the lack of suitable parts. I used to enjoy a crossword or quizz but this years competition leaves me totally numb after reading the first two paragraphs. Containers and crossings articles look as though they will go some way to shortening the winter.

Bernard

Like Bernard, I glazed over on reading the festive competition. There will not be room in my suitcase to take holiday reading with me so I shall just have to leave it to others to solve.

Don Rowland is the editor again. Is he a return guest or has he got the gig, for the time being at least?

Rodney Cooper's article on the Derby Lighweight certainly takes some reading. The use of Craftsman sides in their own right, rather than as overlays to a Lima body that laid down its life for the greater good, is interesting and makes sense because the Lima body is not only longer than the lightweight but has a different body contour. The article shows once again that there is more than one way of skinning a cat [i prefer high pressure steam personally ...] but I can't help wondering why the builder did not use Hornby dmu bogie side frames which have the correct wheelbase. I will certainly look again, carefully, at the way he tackled the engines and other stuff slung from the floor.

I will be returning to the article about the double junction for Slattocks, if only to see what the sense is in this day and age in using the ply and rivet method. Then I will be returning to the A1 conversion as I suspect that much can be learned from it in the context of other cnnversions. Hmm - let's have another go at packing that case ...

Chris

Don Rowland is the editor again. Is he a return guest or has he got the gig, for the time being at least?

Some of the articles were his carried over from the last issue so I guess he got to edit them together into this one.

I will be returning to the article about the double junction for Slattocks, if only to see what the sense is in this day and age in using the ply and rivet method. Then I will be returning to the A1 conversion as I suspect that much can be learned from it in the context of other cnnversions. Hmm - let's have another go at packing that case ...

Chris

With some of the clearances and tweaks needed on the crossing of the junction i'd now suggest it needed to modification abilities provided by the rivets and it certainly wouldn't have been built just with plastic chairs.

Its Dick Petter incidentally and not Potter as in David's post..

My copy will be in the club until after xmas but im sure I can have a quick read of someone elses before then.

• RMweb Gold

I also found it another good edition and the article and response re the Comet chassis looks very interesting and promising indeed. I note that a Grange is mentioned as a possible future prospect - that would be particularly useful!

I was impressed by the quality of the work with the DMU article, and also the photos showing a wonderful layout in the background as well - has that been featured anywhere else before or exhibited, does anyone know?

I also found it another good edition and the article and response re the Comet chassis looks very interesting and promising indeed. I note that a Grange is mentioned as a possible future prospect - that would be particularly useful!

I was impressed by the quality of the work with the DMU article, and also the photos showing a wonderful layout in the background as well - has that been featured anywhere else before or exhibited, does anyone know?

The chassis (for the Bachmann A1) is a Brassmasters product.

The maker of the DMU is Rodney Cooper. I think he is the same builder, who with his wife Vera, trade as Rocar. They make the most exquisite caariages, which have appeared in MRJ on a number of occassions. They don't have a website but contact details can be found in "suppliers text" on the CLAG S4 area group website http://www.clag.org.uk/russ/supplier.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The chassis (for the Bachmann A1) is a Brassmasters product.

The maker of the DMU is Rodney Cooper. I think he is the same builder, who with his wife Vera, trade as Rocar. They make the most exquisite caariages, which have appeared in MRJ on a number of occassions. They don't have a website but contact details can be found in "suppliers text" on the CLAG S4 area group website http://www.clag.org.uk/russ/supplier.html

Thanks for that, I've now realised my error re: Brassmasters.

I just looked at the Rocar Mark 1s in awe when they were first advertised, that explains much about the sheer quality of the DMU he's now built.

• RMweb Premium

The maker of the DMU is Rodney Cooper. I think he is the same builder, who with his wife Vera, trade as Rocar. They make the most exquisite caariages,

They do indeed, I commisioned an EM Gauge Hawksworth Auto Trailer (247 Developments) a few years ago, they did an excellant job.

Thanks for that, I've now realised my error re: Brassmasters.

I just looked at the Rocar Mark 1s in awe when they were first advertised, that explains much about the sheer quality of the DMU he's now built.

I seem to recall that Rocar-built coaches start at about £400 each. There are probably none better. Start saving up.

Archived