Venture into '0'

georgeT

Thanks Mike and Rob for the remarks, full of encouragement thank you, l have had a look at the work you both have done, very impressive l must say, you both know what you are talking about, l made some Parkside Dundas kits during last summer and gave them a little weathering

post-7716-0-10264500-1293107704_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-72816800-1293107762_thumb.jpg

Hi George,

some great work on the Southern vans. As far as weathering goes, have a look at the Tamiya weathering blocks, they come in an assortment of 'shades' and by using differing grades of stiffness on flat artist's brushes (Icut down the length of the bristles) you can get into the corners of the strapping on vans and wagons quite easily.

seasons greetings

Mike

Hi, l have renumbered my G6 to 30349, and gave it a light weathering,and is seen hard at work on (Andrew P)s club layout, this gives the loco a real good run, l think this loco is now finished and l can now start the 02'

This site really needs a "like" button. Very nice work there. I like the weathering, looks used, but not worn out.

Those Parkside's look excellent George, I was looking at a couple of them in my local model shop this morning and wondering if I should take the plunge.

I haven't built any in 7mm before but I have done some 4mm ones. I do feel they make into good kits and you prove the theory.

Keep them coming I am looking forward to your next instalment.

Superb work on the Slaters Baggage Van George, and superb photos too. My resolve to order one next month is much reinforced ;)

Apart from price did you have a particular reason to choose the plastic bogie version over the etched bogie version?

Hi Peter, when l was building the baggage van (last summer) l did not want to use the brass bogies, as you had to stick the plastic axle boxes to the brass sides, had they been white metal l would have soldered them on and used the brass ones.

Really think l enjoy the building of stock more than running anything, l have had a few layouts in my time from little terminus stations, to depot layouts, but when you have moved locos in and out a 1000 times, it gets a bit boring, to me so l scrap it and start another project, yes l definitely enjoy the the building more.

As with the baggage van l sold it on to (Andrew P), as we have been wheelin' and dealin' for years, and he has been building layouts for years as he really enjoys the layout building side of the hobby, over the years he has built so many good layouts and he is happy with that, (without building any stock), so l build odd bits for him and he helps me with the track laying and the scenery, even the electrics, and it has worked that way for over 20 years, he will buy something then get fed up with it and move it on to me and vise-versa.

With the baggage van andy has had it professionally painted for him by Charlie King, and what a cracking job he has made of it, here it is sitting in the yard on (Andrew P) St Budoc. regards

post-7716-0-23676100-1293532003_thumb.jpg

Hi Peter, when l was building the baggage van (last summer) l did not want to use the brass bogies, as you had to stick the plastic axle boxes to the brass sides, had they been white metal l would have soldered them on and used the brass ones.

With the baggage van andy has had it professionally painted for him by Charlie King, and what a cracking job he has made of it, here it is sitting in the yard on (Andrew P) St Budoc. regards

Hello George

The point about sticking plastic to brass is well taken - plastic hornguides are OK but then one doesn't, or shouldn't, stick those B)

Superb paint job by Charlie King, can one say more?

Nearly finished my 02' albeit the mistakes, anyway l want to hand line the loco so l have started with a white outline with a bow-pen, l know it should be grey-white-red but l'm just going for white and a thin line of red when its dried out, also l have decided to give the loco a really well used look so the lining will be mostly hidden, also l have added a cab roof vent l'm not sure if 30182 had one?

post-7716-0-31000700-1293539863_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-42664900-1293539955_thumb.jpg

Hi, hand lining isn't as easy as l thought you need a very steady hand, l have only managed the white so far you can put the straight lines on ok but it is the corners that give you the problems and the splashers what l have found is that you can clean up the corners when all is dry with a very fine paint brush, has anyone else ever tried this ?

post-7716-0-71142300-1294064353_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-70175000-1294064424_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi, hand lining isn't as easy as l thought you need a very steady hand, l have only managed the white so far you can put the straight lines on ok but it is the corners that give you the problems and the splashers what l have found is that you can clean up the corners when all is dry with a very fine paint brush, has anyone else ever tried this ?

Hi George, You want to have a look for A Modellers Handbook of Painting and Lining by Ian Rathbone (Wild Swan) it gives you all sorts of hint's and tips and will I believe answer most of your questions around using a bow pen.

Archived