Southampton Exhibition 29-30th January

Tim V

• 2 weeks later...

Portchullin will also be there.

So too will be Eastwood, which many of you will remember was the layout in a weekend built to a just going standard at the show the previous year..........for details try this My link

I will post a few pictures of the layout; maybe through the day if I get a moment or too........................!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I will be there Sunday only (SWSBO has a birthday Saturday), helping out on the SHMRC demonstration stands (specifically the one doing DDC, Finescale modern image conversions, possibly a bit of Templot).

Dave

I thought Porthchullin was much more deserving (set as it was in a darkened room with no barriers and without the push and shove of the other halls) it came over as quite stunning. Far exceeded expectations and even the dcc sound was not objectional - though I could have done without that woman screeching/wailing in the background!

The show was certainly busy - I just managed to get a car park space behind the picknic table (felt sorry for the guy who side swiped it - that will be expensive) Annoyed, like many others that there seemed to be no car parking management/guidance, folk trying to drive to the back of the building/field for a space only to meet others returning the other way who had discovered there were none. I really thought a fight was about to break out in front of me. What is it too few members to post a couple with walkie-talkies to help direct punters, especially those who haven't a clue where to park?

Still it was a good show and I spent an age admiring Wibdenshaw and Purbeck notable among others.

Of course I couldn't resist some shiny brass from Dragon Models ;) who caught me unawares and with my guard down as I was not expecting him there.

I probably spent longest looking at Wibdenshaw - fantastic layout with some well-observed details. Enjoyed seeing Cramdin Yard too.

Sadly, I only realised too late that the batteries in the camera were dead angry.gif

I paid my first visit to this show yesterday and was well impressed. The layouts were well chosen and there were enough very good ones to make the task of the judges difficult. I thought that the balance of traders, society stands and demonstrations was just right. Catering was well judged and in particular it was a pleasure to eat a slab of craftsperson-built bread pudding mid-afternoon.

Among the less well-known layouts there were some gems. Holm, featured in the most recent Railway Modeller, has more than a little charm, being based on Kingsbridge but with a purpose. I liked the bus showing the destination Barry and recall similar vehicles flogging past my grandparents' house there. Holm's builder grew up on Barry Island long before Gavin and Stacey were invented! I also rather liked Great Shefford, whose bulder is one of the less vocal members of this parish. It captures the atmosphere of the Lambourn branch a treat and has a fine model of GW railcar 18 for all to admire.

Watching 'happy hour' on Clutton would have been fun, I'm told, but I used the time to get close to some of the layouts where crowds had been three deep earlier in the day, Wibdenshaw being a case in point. It was good also to have chats with other inmates, in particular Adam and Kempenfelt [thanks again, guys]. I learned a few things from demonstrators and bought some bits and pieces so all is well with the world.

The only downside is that the journey of about 120 miles each way and a full day in between took it out of me [altogether now: poor old soul]. I woke up an hour and a half late today so must have been cream-crackered.

Verdict: excellent show. I am minded to go again.

Chris

We had an excellent day out, some memorable layouts with helpful and knowledgeable exhibitors. It is nice to see a Jidenco gated set that I built twenty+ years ago, still doing the rounds (actually, back and forth) on Lee-On-The-Solent.

Great show, well worth the journey.

DesA

I very much enjoyed the show today and overall found it better than the last couple of years since it's been at Barton Peveril.

However parking was a big problem yet again.

With the car parks full and all the roadside parking spaces, where it was allowed, full almost all the way to Eastleigh, I ended up driving around for 15 minutes or more until I eventually found somewhere.

Inside I bumped into a mate who had tried on Saturday morning and had given up and gone home. Sunday was his second attempt, finding parking about quarter of a mile away.

To the show...

Thanks to eldavo for bringing Cramdi Yard. I didn't get to speak to him as he seemed a bit pre-occupied with a number of running issues (wagons derailing), but I spent ages watching the layout being operated and had a brief chat with his "oppo".

At first glance I wasn't particularly taken with the layout, but I soon warmed to it and ended up thinking it was the most satisfying one for me today.

Shame about the ambient noise (nearby blokes chatting away very loudly) drowning out the sound locos though. :rolleyes:

Clutton - very nice, great sense of scale, putting the railway into the landscape etc; but those card builings leaning on the slopes ???? Oh dear!

Also the Roco Geoline style ballast shoulder at the driving end? Looked a bit unfinished maybe?

Still, it's a good attempt and just crying out for that elusive realistic sound smoke to transport the viewer into the scene.

A much better layout IMHO was Portchullin. Well executed and superbly presented (good lighting, sound, framing of the whole rig etc.).

Great Shefford was another very good 'un. The partly hidden Garden is one of the best I've seen.

Ackthorpe - great looking layout spoiled as it has been each time I've seen it, by poor operation and erratically running locos.

Nice to see Lee-on-the-Solent again.

The layout I was really looking forward to seeing was Wibdenshaw. I've never seen it before and had long admired it from photographs and the layout's website.

I was very dissapointed.

For a start, the cheap lighting used gave an awful yellowy glow, possibly not helped by the sports hall's lighting. I don't know if it's just me but that put me right off.

Train operation was a bit hit and miss while I was watching (I visited the layout twice and spent some time there). Trains mostly ran at a reasonably smooth slow pace, but that final smooth stopping and starting wasn't there. There were some erraticly moving locos too.

Some will jump down my throat here, but it really could do with DCC ! ;) :D

Maybe I expected too much, but whether it was the poor lighting, jerky operation, toy looking vehicles, no backscene or general poor presentation, it just didn't do it for me. A shame as this was the one layout I went to the show for. :(

Thankfully not all was lost with those other superb layouts to look at.

Some good trade support, even if most were the same old lot (I've no idea how hard it is to organise such things, but it would be nice to get a bit more variety).

Amazingly I left without spending any money at all, not even on a book or two, which is a miracle for me. :D

I'm surprised so little has been said about the Southampton exhibition in this thread, as it's a show I would rate very highly. The selection and quality of the layouts (and a good range of trade/manufacturer), would have pleased every punter that came this weekend. We had a most enjoyable weekend, and it was great to catch up with some of you. A big thank you to the exhibition team and helpers.

We nearly didn't make it to Southampton due to problems with the hire vehicle and its fuel system. A '10 plate with only 20k on the clock, developed the problem about a third of the way there. Faced with options that involved possible recovery to back to base, we decided to soldier on slowly avoiding motorways and trunk roads. The journey back home on the Sunday was just as bad, but it didn't spoil a fantastic weekend..

Archived