Un-glueing Araldite

M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

I am working on a white metal OO GW Star kit which was bought half finished. Having now primered it, the nice dull greyness has shown up a few minor issues. One is the smokebox door, which seems to be incorrectly hung/fitted.

The cab/boiler and frames are joined with Araldite, so I presume the smoke box is too, although I can't see inside it.

Rather than pulling or levering, and possibly damaging the metal, or detail, is there anything which can dissolve Araldite? I could drill into the back end of the boiler tube and dribble "something" in to eat away the araldite from behind.

Thanks

(I know I have learnt a lesson by buying a half built kit, and will never do so again, but having never ventured into the white metal engine kit world, this was a cheap experiment, which has taught me a lot, and I am now considering buying a kit and doing it all myself).

I know I have learnt a lesson by buying a half built kit, and will never do so again, but having never ventured into the white metal engine kit world, this was a cheap experiment, which has taught me a lot, and I am now considering buying a kit and doing it all myself.

Don't be put off so easily. Half built kits (and even ones claimed to be finished) are a way of getting hold of some good cheap kits.

They nearly all should be approached with full disassembly in mind. Used to be good bargains but these days there are too many like-minded kit builders out there squabbling over them.

Don't be put off so easily. Half built kits (and even ones claimed to be finished) are a way of getting hold of some good cheap kits.

They nearly all should be approached with full disassembly in mind. Used to be good bargains but these days there are too many like-minded kit builders out there squabbling over them.

I couldn't agree more with both sentiments :)

Good hunting - except when you're after the same item as me, of course ;)

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks. Will try hot water or acetone down the boiler through an access hole.

Not sure what to look for next - Great Bear??? Duke of Gloucester???

I am working on a white metal OO GW Star kit which was bought half finished. Having now primered it, the nice dull greyness has shown up a few minor issues. One is the smokebox door, which seems to be incorrectly hung/fitted.

The cab/boiler and frames are joined with Araldite, so I presume the smoke box is too, although I can't see inside it.

Try using Nitromors (is that how it spelt) the original not the water washable type.

OzzyO.

Try using Nitromors (is that how it spelt) the original not the water washable type.

OzzyO.

Seconded! Excellent at unsticking the stickyest sticky. Mind you I only found that out when I stripped the cellulose paint from a Wills 'King' that I'd bought s/h - and reduced it back to it's component parts... Fortunately the original instructions were still in the box, and it soldered together beautifully!

Regs

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Nitromors has worked for me , but it might be difficult to do a spot section , it is great for a full strip though .

I have done a few rebuilds from ebay purchased unfinished projects , and as others have said it is a good way of

getting some of the more obscure classes at a reasonable price .

Here are a couple of mine , okay , not as nice as a Finney etched kit , but a lot cheaper and good enough for

my needs . Still a bit left to tidy up but at least they now can work the line .

post-6765-0-60996000-1293120629_thumb.jpg

post-6765-0-30009500-1293120640_thumb.jpg

OzzyO.

Nitromors will dissolve araldite quite effectively, tho' it might take a couple of days soaking.

But it's nasty stuff -- don't get it on your skin or in your eyes (or on the kitchen worktop!), and dispose of it carefully. Rinse the bits very thoroughly in rubbing water. Read the warnings on the tin!

Good luck.

Allan F

I have used both the hot water and the Nitromores methods. Another method is to use Caustic Soda. 1 table spoon full with 1 pint of warm water, and leave to soak for an hour or so.

If you want to un-do the smoke box then a dip into hot water might work, but I would go with the advice of stripping it all down and start again

Archived