problems with 3 links couplings, Romford.

Hi All

I have brought a load of Romford three link couplings and I am having a big problem with them, the links are far too big to fit over the hook and will not lift up.

I do not see why I have to file the hooks down just to make them fix properly, as they are sold with these chains they should fit.

Other than filing them down or sending them back, with Christmas now on use I was hoping to finish all my rolling stock!

Has anyone else had this problem with them? And what did you do to sort them out?

Happy Christmas and New Year

All the best

Darren

Has anyone else had this problem with them? And what did you do to sort them out?

Yep! When I first started using scale couplings, I did some experiments with these as they were what Cove Models stocked at the time. The only thing I could do to get them work was to file the hook right down but after the 10th wagon it all got a bit tedious, so I gave up and replaced them with Smiths.

Pix

Thanks for that chaps!

Looks like I will have to send them all back, 20 packets. It took me over an hour just to get one working right, one thing how can they still sell these with this poor design?

Looks like the wagon work shop will be quite over Christmas…..I off to play trains!

Happy Christmas

All the best

Darren

I think your best bet is to eBay the Romfords and go for Smiths. An old club I was a member of had exactly the same issue, bought enough to convert over 50 wagons, became frustrated at having to fettle each one so cut our losses and changed to Smiths - never looked back.

Hi Darren

I don't quite understand your problem? I use Romford screw/three links without any trouble? All you need to do is prise open the rear hook with a small blade a tad, slip on the chain and then nip over the top of the rear hook to stop the chain coming out. No filing is necessary. They work a treat.

Much cheaper and far more robust than Smith's which in unassembled form are the very devil!:rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold

John, I hate to disagree with you ;) , but Romfords are even more over-scale than Smiths! There is also a problem with the pivoting of the two halves of the screw coupling in relation to each other - in other words, I've had problems with them not working flexibly enough - something that is easier to cure (if it happens at all) with Smiths. The way this problem manifests itself is that the Romford coupling doesn't 'hang' properly when coupled up, and the stiffness makes it harder to effect a smooth coupling and uncoupling as well...

I've not had any problems with Smiths in operational terms in 16 years of exhibiting. :)

I reckon there's scope in the first paragraph for lots of mis-quoting and mischief-making!!

I'm with the majority on this one as well, John. I've had more than a few 'slip' effects at exhibitions or problems coupling up due to a loco having a Romford stiffie. Smiths can be a fiddle but I actually find them quite relaxing to assemble. Has anyone else noticed their 3 links getting a bit brittle, though? I've never had a problem before but the last couple of packs I've made up I've found four or five links have broken when I've opened them up to attach to another link or the hook.

I'm with the majority on this one as well, John. Has anyone else noticed their 3 links getting a bit brittle, though? I've never had a problem before but the last couple of packs I've made up I've found four or five links have broken when I've opened them up to attach to another link or the hook.

Another vote for Smiths

I bend the links for the screw type over the jaws of a very small pair of pliers. Bend to not quite a full 90 degrees. Then hold in the jaws of the pliers, fit one pin on the etched centre part through one hole and gently squeeze the sides of the link together to push it onto the other pin. I thought the snapping of the odd three link link was down to me being a bit ham fisted as I have managed to break them from time to time. it could be from one batch as I tend to open any packets that I buy and keep all the links in a small plastic box and use them as needed.

Bernard

John, I hate to disagree with you ;) , but Romfords are even more over-scale than Smiths!

I reckon there's scope in the first paragraph for lots of mis-quoting and mischief-making!!

....................which makes the Romfords so much easier to couple up in actual use without the need for a magnifying glass and 1000w torch!:smile_mini: B) A shunting session with Smith's couplings gives me a large dose of RSI and restrict my layout running time to strictly sober only operation ! :laugh_mini2:

Still, we are all in fact lucky that we have a choice. I hope both makes continue to be available for many years to come.

Has anyone else noticed their 3 links getting a bit brittle, though? I've never had a problem before but the last couple of packs I've made up I've found four or five links have broken when I've opened them up to attach to another link or the hook.

I have as well. I thought it was just my clumsiness...

Archived