GRANBY JUNCTION - Shunting Siphons for the Up Parcels with a Manor!

john dew

• RMweb Premium

I love the way you make scenery and everything is so lifelike.  You are right, that high level corner needssome scrufy kids playing cricket, or footie.

A Grange and a Manor in one hit - we were definitely blessed today.

Glad you have sun - we have plenty over here in the Middle East.

Edited by M.I.B

• RMweb Gold

Last night we watched the final episode of the Scandi Noir thriller  "The Bridge" .

So it seems rather appropriate that I should start the final post of this project with a shot of crude butchery on a bridge 

1269393888_1Bridgesurgery.jpg.3be13450d9af028977a78aec6c1e025f.jpg

An inexpensive clip and glue Atlas HO girder bridge being cut to size then painted and weathered.

1620622375_2Bridgeweathered.jpg.2ff8a25d4ddbc97ac43d600a63a52e1f.jpg

In place behind the mill going from nowhere to nowhere........but providing a further visual block.

1056704541_3Bridgeinplace.jpg.6f0628a8299313c9818ded566197adc1.jpg

A 14xx pushes a wagon towards Courtaulds Castle Worksl.  On the main lines below the Ruabon pilot shunts a 4 coach set into the carriage siding

1929883405_4Closeup.jpg.959dadc143e3a5af140282694cb1d960.jpg

Surprise surprise........its a Courtaulds wagon.

The last piece of the jigsaw involved filling in an awkard spot just in front the Mill. Its at the junction of two baseboards complete with a nasty change of level.

A signal box seemed to be a likely solution

938810811_5Box1.jpg.99a536f873311ed1c35ca6fdf59714a6.jpg

For those who dont recognise it......a Ratio GWR hipped roof signal box.......its a brilliant model. Super easy to assemble........The building itself was all done in a couple of days.

961539054_6BoxSide.jpg.7fb10ce2f391e2e31a249d1e62be9e70.jpg

Mind you the stairs and pesky fire buckets took about the same amount of time! I must have built at least four of those Ratio staircase and they always turn out to be a severe test of my character.

The base with the coal store doesnt come with the kit ......it was built from card to fit the awkward shape and to accommodate the change in level 
1922273440_7.1BoxinPlace.jpg.9e50547caacb163345fad91c45d4da19.jpg

141924729_8Boxrear.jpg.5f74caa8e26d9d6b20979083aaa4e705.jpg

1597456951_9Boxinplacesteps.jpg.a5ad8b3115de0ade445f5d73e6a9129a.jpg

Not sure why I modelled the front in such detail......you can just catch a glimpse of the nameboard if you stand in the doorway and crane your neck.

I guess having to name it did force me to apply a little more precision to Granby's location.Granby is loosely (very loosely) based on Wrexham but I am afraid I have been guilty of moving it 20 or so miles north and south! http://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/icon_eek.gif. Now at least we know Ruabon is south of Granby.

So its all done and dusted........here is the before, posted in January 

1219308598_10Before.jpg.4e38cfa6a931e372ac195275e8849edf.jpg

And the after......three months later........sorry about the light.....spring is a bit late here!

1375098119_11Overall.jpg.d1d8c4900acd255e3b119fc532a3acdc.jpg

and finally.........

1290130761_12BW.jpg.ebb9bcd50865d7688eea6ce3f6ef0520.jpg

Best wishes from Vancouver

Edited by john dew
16/10/22 Photos
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

John - more excellent scenic/building work as usual. 

Is this the last structure?  Or is it like one of my "last engine needed....."?

Hope not.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the likes etc guys......all very encouraging

John - more excellent scenic/building work as usual. 

Is this the last structure?  Or is it like one of my "last engine needed....."?

Hope not.

Thanks Tinker...........I still have two empty building sites both on the other side of the room! The most significant is the space by the station building which is earmarked for a General Post Office and Hotel. The space is currently in constant use as a vital landing pad for cups of coffee and glasses of wine (depending on time of day) delivered over the duck under......I have yet to find a suitable alternative so I keep deferring the build...........maybe this fall

Meantime I want to focus on my loco weathering and Hall rebadging.......and run some trains at long last!

Best wishes

John

• RMweb Gold

Well,.....maybe the bridge.

But the whole scene well done even so.

Good Morning John

Thats a bit enigmatic......a bridge too far perhaps? Nevertheless glad you like the scene as a whole

Best wishes

John

John,yes it was deliberate, but that's the way I see it. Half a "like."

I like the idea but not the resolution.

I have no problems with a bridge as such but not for that use. I can't see it being provided for rail traffic as coal, as boilers and similar were always on ground floors. But it was not unusual to interconnect adjacent mill buildings and on different floors by bridges for the passage of workers and "stuff" on hand trolleys.

They were covered and quite substantial but not in that structural girder form, being more in the nature of covered station footbridges.

Can you put a companion mill on that far back side?

A bridge(s) would be then very acceptable, I suggest.

My regards,

Edited by john flann

• RMweb Premium

Last night we watched the final episode of the Scandi Noir thriller  "The Bridge" .

So it seems rather appropriate that I should start the final post of this project with a shot of crude butchery on a bridge 

attachicon.gif1 Bridge surgery.jpg

An inexpensive clip and glue Atlas HO girder bridge being cut to size then painted and weathered.

attachicon.gif2 Bridge weathered.jpg

In place behind the mill going from nowhere to nowhere........but providing a further visual block.

attachicon.gif3 Bridge in place.jpg

A 14xx pushes a wagon towards Courtaulds Castle Worksl.  On the main lines below the Ruabon pilot shunts a 4 coach set into the carriage siding

attachicon.gif4 Close up.jpg

Surprise surprise........its a Courtaulds wagon.

The last piece of the jigsaw involved filling in an awkard spot just in front the Mill. Its at the junction of two baseboards complete with a nasty change of level.

A signal box seemed to be a likely solution

attachicon.gif5 Box 1.jpg

For those who dont recognise it......a Ratio GWR hipped roof signal box.......its a brilliant model. Super easy to assemble........The building itself was all done in a couple of days.

attachicon.gif6 Box Side.jpg

Mind you the stairs and pesky fire buckets took about the same amount of time! I must have built at least four of those Ratio staircase and they always turn out to be a severe test of my character.

The base with the coal store doesnt come with the kit ......it was built from card to fit the awkward shape and to accommodate the change in level 

attachicon.gif7.1 Box in Place.jpg

attachicon.gif8 Box rear.jpg

attachicon.gif9 Box in place steps.jpg

Not sure why I modelled the front in such detail......you can just catch a glimpse of the nameboard if you stand in the doorway and crane your neck.

I guess having to name it did force me to apply a little more precision to Granby's location.Granby is loosely (very loosely) based on Wrexham but I am afraid I have been guilty of moving it 20 or so miles north and south! icon_eek.gif. Now at least we know Ruabon is south of Granby.

So its all done and dusted........here is the before, posted in January 

attachicon.gif10 Before.jpg

And the after......three months later........sorry about the light.....spring is a bit late here!

attachicon.gif11 Overall.jpg

and finally.........

attachicon.gif12 B&W.jpg

Wonderful stuff John.

• RMweb Gold

John,yes it was deliberate, but that's the way I see it. Half a "like."

I like the idea but not the resolution.

I have no problems with a bridge as such but not for that use. I can't see it being provided for rail traffic as coal, as boilers and similar were always on ground floors. But it was not unusual to interconnect adjacent mill buildings and on different floors by bridges for the passage of workers and "stuff" on hand trolleys.

They were covered and quite substantial but not in that structural girder form, being more in the nature of covered station footbridges.

Can you put a companion mill on that far back side?

A bridge(s) would be then very acceptable, I suggest.

My regards,

I see what you getting at now.

It was never intended to look as though it connected directly with the Mill.......I had hoped to create the illusion from the doorway that the line ran behind the Mill.........it can only be seen from there and is actually 6' away from that viewpoint. I guess I shouldnt have shown  that close up I was so pleased with. :no:

Regards 

• Like 1

John.

Thank you, I accept you need a view blocker and that is a clever way to achieve it but I can't fully  comprehend how such an elevated railway fits into the overall Granby picture.

If it's Rule One-then fair enough.

Would however bridges of the kind I mention not work?

That is when you had worked your magic in creating another mill on the backscene.

Best wishes,

• RMweb Gold

John.

Thank you, I accept you need a view blocker and that is a clever way to achieve it but I can't fully  comprehend how such an elevated railway fits into the overall Granby picture.

If it's Rule One-then fair enough.

Would however bridges of the kind I mention not work?

That is when you had worked your magic in creating another mill on the backscene.

Best wishes,

You may be right. I will have to give it some more thought.

I may shortly have to dispose of a pre owned low mileage girder bridge :scratchhead:

Regards

John

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Its been a busy 2 weeks, starting with a successful operation on my right eye. I had no real understanding of how much effect the cataracts had on my appreciation of light and colour. Suddenly the world has become a much brighter place http://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/icon_lol.gif.

The downside of near perfect distance vision is that my uncorrected near sight is not great. I have to wait until June before I can go to the Optometrists and get glasses sorted meantime I have to make do with $30 drug store reading glasses. My apologies for some (or all  http://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/icon_redface.gif) of the photos........I finally had to edit  them from a distance of 24" without glasses

Regular readers may recall that back in January I realised my Halls were in the wrong livery for 1948 and were far too pristine. I thought it prudent to practise on some Panniers first:

57922488_167575775Before.jpg.d6ccc0d5d5ed322aeb08d2c159e74aab.jpg

Very pristine........the only dust has come naturally and there isnt much of that because these guys, like the prototype, are powerful,super reliable and consequently worked hard.

I have been meaning to correct the power/route indicators for a while. During WWII an instruction was issued to move them to just above the number plate.......I assume to minimise torches flashing about during the blackout.

Furthermore Panniers were  only re-classified from blue to yellow by British Railways in 1950. Trivial, I know, but it must be the military in me....incorrect rank badges jar http://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/icon_lol.gif

937272467_2Panniers.jpg.c008e0eae58541b718029482d8cc6a6f.jpg

Both locos have discs changed, hand rails painted green and etched plates added. Previously I have only added etched plates when forced to re number but they look so much better that I bit the bullet and invested almost two months modelling money in etched plates for a lot of locos!

The right hand loco represents my attempt at "light weathering" . A little Vallejo weathering paint but mostly Humbrol weathering powder......a mix of Earth/Sand/Rust below the footplate and Smoke/Black above.

The Pannier weathering and Loco re plating operation came to a rather abrupt halt last week with this new arrival:

1829717586_45018.jpg.616d216ebaa742f4c04f53bd7ba64d34.jpg

One of two eagerly awaited 14xx variants from Hattons. This is 5801 in  green .....lightly weathered. http://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Not a great photo but I am afraid this is not my conception of light weathering. It seems to have been subjected to an overall spray of gunk and lacks subtlety.

A disappointing start.....however on the plus side the model itself is exquisite with masses of superb detail. 

There has been much adverse comment about these models....missing Ash Pan,recessed number plate, oversize (1mm+-)  driving wheels etc did not overly concern me, however reported indifferent erratic running performance, particularly on DCC, was a major concern for me.

Both ran well on the very short DC track and then spent a couple of hours on the DC rolling road. Fitting decoders ( Lenz mini gold from a German box shifter) into the boiler space was straightforward.......removable smoke box door, held in place by magnets......very ingenious.

I had heard they ran well with the default CV settings. Not with me......it was pretty disastrous and I was very close to putting them in their boxes and back to Liverpool. Lots of stop/ start and evidence of what I call hunting (cogging?) .

They are very sensitive to the slightest speck of dirt or any badly laid track. I have some iffy track on the branch which the Panniers and Prairies handle ok.......these locos did not.

Things got better when I thoroughly cleaned all the wheels......not something I normally do with a brand new loco.....these were filthy....perhaps a residue of the weathering spray?

Things got even better when I adjusted the CV 5 (max speed) to 100 giving a scale speed of 25 mph (which is all I need) and CV 6 (mid point) at 70 which gives a nice smooth concave speed curve. Basically 20 of the 28 speed steps are used getting from rest to 12 mph. Result......very impressive slow, smooth, acceleration and no hunting.......with the caveat .....on clean well laid track.  

So I put the boxes away and decided to add some detail and make the weathering more realistic

The second loco is in GWR war time black (a must have for Granby).....again "lightly weathered" to which I have brushed on additional Humbrol powders.......I tried to buff up the firebox a bit........suggestions/ comments much appreciated.....is the run off from the wash out plugs and tank filler ok or a bit over done?

The loco is sold as 4807 but, as GWR fans will know, the 48xx numbering sequence was reallocated in 1946 to the Hall oil fired experiment. Thus the auto fitted 0-4-2 Ts  became 14xx.

The new etched plate (which does need weathering) fitted straight over the original recessed one. To me it looks much better so I have ordered new plates for 5801

893774601_7Bunker.jpg.858e79ff870b9c9f6712065fce30ba95.jpg

Real coal (Canadian not Welsh I am afraid http://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/icon_cry.gif) . Token fire Iron...more to come. The Kadee hides the added ATC detail. Its a standard #18 but I have ordered some 17#s which will be better

The cab doors actually open. I couldnt get the roof off as per the instructions but the fireman was inserted the old fashioned way with tweezers round his neck

246529615_5Front.jpg.b6a09a839b8c2bb0c2cdcd439346febc.jpg

The new 14 on the buffer beam needs to be toned down a bit more.

No driver because 1407 will be permanently sandwiched between the two autotrains that shuttle between Granby and Ellesmere

418531326_84017.jpg.43c48038185270615ba97ec779d26b09.jpg

It now runs this computor operated shuttle over both the storage and Granby point throat without any trouble.

The Bachmann 64xx which used to do this has now been promoted to the second autotrain which shuttles on the lower level branch. There are a couple of bits of dodgy track there which I hope to replace so that eventually 1407 can run there also.  

2034328367_8Autotrain.jpg.0bee594cac69676609dc5aedd3547eba.jpg

In summary.........if its destined for the display case (a shelf queen in Oz) its undoubtedly a superb model and a "must have" although I probably wouldnt go for the weathered options.

If its going to earn its keep on the track.........the said track has to be spotless and if you are operating DCC you will  need a degree of patience but once sorted its a delight to operate.

Now I need to get 5801 sorted for duty

Sorry for the lengthy post......but hope you enjoyed it and please do critique the weathering I am very much in learning mode.

Edited by john dew
16/10/22 Photos
  • Like 15

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Hello John,

I'm very pleased that the 14xxs have worked out for you - a big issues given the costs in returning unsatisfactory models from Vancouver!

I have two. The first one was temperamental on uneven track as has been widely reported. In particular it didn't like "dipped" rail joints. However, it seem to have become more resilient with running in.

The second one just ran superbly from day one! Appearance wise I think they're outstanding and undoubtedly the best RTR OO gauge 14xx we're ever likely to see. Running wise I'd say the motor and gears are very smooth and quiet (much more so than the Bachmann 64xxs I have) BUT I do wish DJM had gone for a conventional chassis design with wiper pickups.....

I'm suitably impressed with your weathering and detailing. In particular I like the way you've weathered the lamps to match the loco. Sounds obvious doesn't it, but I'm amazed how many people attach pristine white lamps to heavily weathered locos!

Best Regards,

Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Nice work on the weqthering John.

Hope the eyes settle down quickly.  I had laser treatment 8 years ago - and very quickly went long sighted - old man glasses in my early 40s!!   But at a couple of quid a pair from the supermarket: no issues.   I broke an arm on a pair the other day and got really angry with myself, because my brain thought they were "proper" glasses.  When I realised - out came the coffee stirrer and the insulating tape, and appplication of Army first aid training....... - and voila - a splinted arm pair that will live in the garage when I go home.

Look forward to seeing you tackle the Halls when the mince pies allow.

• RMweb Gold

Hello John,

I'm very pleased that the 14xxs have worked out for you - a big issues given the costs in returning unsatisfactory models from Vancouver!

I have two. The first one was temperamental on uneven track as has been widely reported. In particular it didn't like "dipped" rail joints. However, it seem to have become more resilient with running in.

The second one just ran superbly from day one! Appearance wise I think they're outstanding and undoubtedly the best RTR OO gauge 14xx we're ever likely to see. Running wise I'd say the motor and gears are very smooth and quiet (much more so than the Bachmann 64xxs I have) BUT I do wish DJM had gone for a conventional chassis design with wiper pickups.....

I'm suitably impressed with your weathering and detailing. In particular I like the way you've weathered the lamps to match the loco. Sounds obvious doesn't it, but I'm amazed how many people attach pristine white lamps to heavily weathered locos!

Best Regards,

Andy.

Hi Andy

Glad you and Tinker approve of the weathering. I am still at the bottom of a learning curve in terms of introducing subtle realism rather than dumping an overall coat of dirty black.

It does seem that the more I run the 14xxs the more reliable they become. My bench mark are the 57xx and I use them for all the complex routines......RR&Co works on a time and distance calculation based on the moment the loco enters the detected block. Even a momentary stutter, rather than an absolute stop, will screw up these calculations resulting in the loco stopping just before it reaches the coupling/uncoupling point. The 14xxs are just on nursery routes for now but I have ambitions for them in time! Interestingly my 64xx is nowhere near as reliable as the 57xx......it needed a lot of adjustment to the wipers

After all the advice and help you gave me with the Halls I was afraid that you would think I had pushed them to one side. I have actually made a lot of progress....all bar one, Colston Hall, have now been renamed.......all bar the modified Hall have lost their lining....I even have a black one (to be viewed at a distance). I just need to hone my weathering skills before showing them to the world.

Best Wishes

John

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Very nice work on those locos John, I like the end result with the weathering on the 14xx.

It's good that your eye operation went well. A relative of mine has just been through the same and speaks of exactly the same experiences - ie a suddenly more colourful view of the world, but also poorer near sight and need to use glasses. 

• 1 month later...

I've really been inspired by the detail in this layout. I'm a fairly regular scale scenes user and I love your kit bash roundhouse. I've started my own thanks to some of your designs from the same kit. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Almost two months since my last post........thats pretty bad even for me .........This week I joined with Robin and his many followers in celebrating 1000 pages on ANTB.

1000 pages....the mind boggles....I seem to average 3 a year! Last month I celebrated what is deemed to be a significant birthday. At this rate the telegram from the Queen (or King Charles) for an even more significant birthday will arrive long before Granby reaches 100 pages

Semblance of excuse......Wife, daughter and two grand daughters spent the month of May in the UK leaving me to look after the garden and dogs....not much time for modelling. The day after they came home I went down with a really vicious flu virus.....only got out of bed last week......not fun at all.

I did get some stuff done however.

Here is 5801.......kadees apart.....straight out of the box with rather bland factory weathering

post-465-0-54689900-1498315682_thumb.jpg

I couldnt get the roof off 1407 but managed it this time to put the crew in. You have to remove the LH cab roof hand rail.......its quite loose fitting and very losable.......fortunately it was easy to replicate a replacement.

post-465-0-56440100-1498315705_thumb.jpg

Very impressive backhead detail.......although in truth with crew and the roof on very little is visible

post-465-0-50997900-1498315724_thumb.jpg

On Cynwyd shed with crew, fire irons, coal, hopefully more realistic weathering and of course head lamps.

I have never worked out which is worse........working a train without head lamps or photographs highlighting them fore and aft.

post-465-0-38346800-1498315766_thumb.jpg

I guess more careful choice of camera angle helps icon_lol.gif

post-465-0-66691200-1498315747_thumb.jpg

I havent photographed the low level branch for a while. The Mold autotrain drifts into Cynwyd propelled by 1407 ,being pushed out of the station by 1407 while 5801 and the B Set for Granby wait in the bay. The only thing missing from such an iconic GWR  branch scene is a Dean Goods, in the distance, shunting the yard. Hopefully not long to wait now.

post-465-0-89581300-1498315790_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-69321700-1498315812_thumb.jpg

The really good news is that the running performance of both locos has improved so much that I can now schedule them on the branch turns (where they belong) rather than the safer, more conservative, out and back runs on the main line

The Mold auto shuffle involves running on very shallow hidden lines under the main engine shed......stalls are an absolute no no........ recovery with a hook and pole is no fun at all. Its great to be able to have 1407 run this on its own power without having to be hardwired to autocoach

The B Set routine involves a run around at Cynwyd and a Loco exchange at Granby......all automatic. RR&Co does everything based on time and distance calculations......a stall or even a momentary hesitation screws all this up ......so I am a very happy camper that 5801 passes the test

post-465-0-65904600-1498315837_thumb.jpg

I didnt originally order etched plates for 5801 but there is no doubt they look so much better......I knew there was a good reason for the family going to England!.............just need a little more weathering

post-465-0-06668100-1498315850_thumb.jpg

The Hattons/DJM 14xx project attracted a lot of negative comment, the repetitive nature of which I, for one, found rather distasteful. Happy to see all the various "gates" appear to have quietened down now and I can only assume there are many other satisfied customers enjoying this exquisite model .

Sure its not perfect.....hopefully the recessed number plate will not be repeated, I was disappointed with the weathering and they really should clean the wheels..... but all in all its a lovely model and I am thoroughly enjoying running them on Granby

Edited by john dew
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I knew there was a good reason for the family going to England!.............just need a little more weathering

You're a cruel man John!

The 14xx's are looking good and it's great that they have settled down to be 'really useful engines'.

John, Sorry to learn of your problem. All is well now it would appear. Good. May better health remain with you.

And yes, I agree, the 14XX looks the part and that it runs satisfactorily is better still.

Always a pleasure to see the latest news of Granby. It's an impressive layout.

My regards,

Guest 7007GreatWestern

On Cynwyd shed with crew, fire irons, coal, hopefully more realistic weathering and of course head lamps.

I have never worked out which is worse........working a train without head lamps or photographs highlighting them fore and aft.

Hello John,

You mention the use of lamps on auto trains. I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but in fact it was very common for auto trains to run with one lamp, bottom centre as opposed to top centre. Here are some examples from 'back-in-the-day':-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/21899116468

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrbsh1258.htm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/14241140946

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrswg1561.htm

Now under the British standard system of locomotive lamp codes, one lamp, bottom centre means "light engine or engines which may have a brake van attached". So, it is possible that the lamp positioning in those photographs is due to the firemen forgetting to reposition their lamps once coupled up to the auto coach. However, a half forgotten memory lurking in the darker recesses of my mind is telling me that on the GWR and later WR, one lamp bottom and centre could also legitimately indicate an auto train in which case the positioning of the lamps is deliberate and not an oversight.

So, you could have lamps bottom and centre on your 14xxs. The loco would then be completely correct when moving off shed to pick up its coach at the start of duty, correct again when running with the coach and correct again at the end of duty when running back light engine to shed. The only error would be the lamp between the loco and the coach, but since this is at buffer beam level it wouldn't be very obvious!

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Andy.

PS. I'm happy to hear from an authority on Western Region practice (e.g. Mike "The Stationmaster") to confirm whether I am correct about the lamp codes. :-)

• Like 2