Gresley Restaurant First

Bob Reid

To complete a Kirk Gresley RF I need to track down a half decent shot of the roof of these vehicles (D.10C (9007-20) D.144 (9068-9092) showing the arrangement of vents and tank fillers. Whilst the kit instruction give some idea, I'm specifically after the arrangement on a vehicle that ran in post 1950s condition BR Maroon which appear to have a lot more mushroom style vents than the shell vents of earlier times. There is a picture in the Harris LNER Carriages book of E 9075 E which gives some clue however it'll be pure guesswork otherwise!

Any help would be much appreciated!

I wish I had the information to give you. Unfortunately good photos from an angle that shows such things are rare.

Coachmann mentions the shape of cowl originally fitted and some vehicles seem to have retained these, however I suspect they were replaced with different designs when rebuilt by BR.

Many thanks Larry & Mike.

The photograph in LNER Carriages, appears to show round cowls where the traditional vent (and square vent) are shown post re-building over the dining section, these round cowls have air deflectors either side facing along the coach - in the form of < O > (well you get the idea) It may well be the case that I'd be better modelling it as seen, and if more information turns up I can change it at a later date.

Thanks again for the help.

Bob,

There is quite a good overhead shot of a Gresley RF in the IA Fleet Survey 3 (third edition) between the tunnels at Welwyn in a Newcastle-KX train taken in April 1962. The vent types and positions certainly appear to match E9075E in the Harris book, as much as can be seen.

Mark

Archived