LNER Corridor Tenders

sulzer27jd

I have tried searching the forum (and the wider internet) and am struggling to find a source of information that lists which LNER locos were allocated a corridor tender. Clearly out of my BR blue diesel comfort zone, I am finding research a little more difficult for steam.

Any help appreciated.

JD

Hi JD,

Any chance you can narrow it down a bit? I can give you a list of the A4s that had them, and when they had them, but that is where my expertise ends. Several A1/A3s also had them, but these were gradually transferred to the A4s. Let me know if the A4 list will be of any use and I'll do a list for you.

Best wishes, Mike

BTW there were two types of corridor tender;-

1) 1928 pattern corridor tender altered to streamlined pattern in 1937/38

2) 1935 new builds as streamlined corridor

JD

You don't say which year/what period you're intested in. The inial batch of corridor tenders were allocated to the Gresley Class A1s/A3s. Subsequently all corridor tenders, both the originals and new builds, were paired with Gresley Class A4s. The tenders were moved between locomotives.

The best sources of information, by far, are:

Yeadon's Register of LNER Locomotives

Volume 1 (Gresley A1 & A3 Classes)

by Willie Yeadon

Published (now) by

Yeadon's Register of LNER Locomotives

Volume 2 (Gresley A4 & W1 Classes)

by Willie Yeadon

Published (now) by

Locomotives of the LNER

Part 2A (A1s,A2s, A3s and A4 Classes)

Published by the RCTS

I hope that's of help.

Ian

Thanks guys - interested in both the A4 and A3 (first is A4 as I have one with a corridor tender just about to enter the workbench) during the rock'n'roll years 1956 to 59ish.

I am hoping to do a 64B Haymarket loco and am looking at Golden Plover after it was fitted with the double chimney.

Cheers

J

As far as I can tell 4497/60031 always carried an original 1937 built streamlined corridor tender. (That is to say, non beaded, curved top an rear)

Double chimney fitted 11/03/58

AWS fitted 13/05/60

Smith-Stone speed recorder fittted 15/03/61

Allocation Haymarket 1937-1962, St. Rollox Feb 1962 until withdrawal

Details;- straight number 6 (not curly) from 1959-61

Full width bogie dust shield/deflector plate 1950 onwards

Info from Locomotives in detail 3. David Clarke ISBN 0-7110-3085-5 Ian Allan publishing. Some small errors occur in this book, but I believe the above information to be correct.

Best wishes, Mike

You need to go on the 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley website,Chime on the left,then Archive,then a Tangle of Tenders by MERL HAIGH and there are four pages of information about A4 Tenders. It is the Dogs Dangly bits on the subject.

Regards,Derek.

PS 4497/60031 had a 1935 Corridor Tender No,5650 from 24/3/1945 until it was withdrawn on 29/10/1965. See page 3 of A Tangle of Tenders.

As far as I can tell 4497/60031 always carried an original 1937 built streamlined corridor tender. (That is to say, non beaded, curved top an rear)

Double chimney fitted 11/03/58

AWS fitted 13/05/60

Smith-Stone speed recorder fittted 15/03/61

Allocation Haymarket 1937-1962, St. Rollox Feb 1962 until withdrawal

Details;- straight number 6 (not curly) from 1959-61

Full width bogie dust shield/deflector plate 1950 onwards

Info from Locomotives in detail 3. David Clarke ISBN 0-7110-3085-5 Ian Allan publishing. Some small errors occur in this book, but I believe the above information to be correct.

Best wishes, Mike

RCTS Volume has same info re tender and shed allocations

Cant find Tangle of Tenders on the SNG site ??

• RMweb Premium

Not sure how I did this, it was a long time ago. However I have complied a list of all the tenders carried by the LNER Pacifics. This includes the GNR and the later high sided non-corridor and corridor tenders (streamlined and otherwise). This list was almost certainly extracted from the Yeadon's publications described above.

There is a further Yeadon's publication describing the numbering systems of all tenders of the LNER and the pre-group companies. This gives the allocations of all tendets (by their numbers) on GCR locos. There was a part two planned for other companies but this has (so far) not appeared.

If anyone wants a copy of my compilation drop me an Email.

"Golden Plover" only every had the Streamline Corridor tenders the first was no. 5652 which was swapped for 5650 in 1945.

ArthurK

Archived