yet another TMD/stabling point

Jason Fisher

Hi folks

Sorry but my project is another TMD/stabling point : ) At Mossend yard, there is a headshunt which passes under the main road to a disused siding although the terminal it served is still active. I have made an assumption that the siding was lifted and a small stabling point built with a single road inspection shed and a couple of sidings.

The layout started as a diorama to photograph loco's and wagons but I then wanted to light it/power it for DCC work and now it has become a small layout to practice new techniques etc on whilst the trackplan for my main layout is finalised.

The "baseboards" are an old two tier pc desk that was going to be thrown out, time is a ittle tight tonight so I'll upload some pics tomorrow

have a happy new year

Jason

Almost all track is down and wired except for the inspection pit, I'm in the middle of cutting the slot for it at the minute, and all appears to be well so here are some shots

general view of the shed and sidings, the shed is going to be trimmed into a single road as I feel the double was a bit too much

post-8301-0-22517300-1293892326_thumb.jpg

testing with some of my chipped fleet,

post-8301-0-50465600-1293892390_thumb.jpg

something I wanted from the start is certain viewpoints this is one across the front of the shed area

post-8301-0-04465900-1293892471_thumb.jpg

another looking along the sidings, sorry for the blurred shots still getting to grips with my macro settings

post-8301-0-01587100-1293892581_thumb.jpg

one question though, I am using peco 3 amp wire for my bus, (i've also used it for the dropper wire's) and it seems to be fine, not getting too hot etc but my Prodigy advance is a max 3.5amp should it be ok?

Well about 98% of the ballast is down (less the tidying up once the concrete pad is laid once its painted) and here are a coupleof pics. Woodland Scenics dark brown medium grade ballast was used between the sleepers and at the rail edges as these areas will be weathered to a grimy oily finish, and brown medium ballast was laid farther from the rails where there will be less muck. The track was sprayed with Railmatch sleeper grime prior to ballasting. Modelling time has been rather divided this week, between ballasting, a 1/72 Tu95 Bomber, and customising a couple of heavy plant models for myself and a friend.

The shed has also been cut n shut to a single road, and have programmed one of my 4 class 60s another 66 and a grid so gradually getting there.

Any comments are welcome as this is my first attempt, as is 37114 one of my first weathering jobs

Jason

post-8301-0-37563100-1295216275_thumb.jpg

post-8301-0-48142100-1295216338_thumb.jpg

post-8301-0-46496700-1295216495_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Finally managed to get a bit more done to the layout, got the scenery started, and its recieving its first coat of green paint prior to grassing and adding foliage. The siding that its based on has plenty of greenery so I've added this feature to mine to give it some colour. I've also cut some of the excess of the desktops and been messing around with lichen at the end of the sidings to represent shrubs etc but still got some fiddling with long grass etc to do. Here's how its looking at the minute

post-8301-0-85114200-1299008031_thumb.jpg

post-8301-0-77318800-1299008100_thumb.jpg

That looks great mate.

I think I started too big for my test layout suggestion to the SWIMBO. I sugested 2x 4'x2' boards with a hinge in the middle, may be I should suggest the PC desk (then I'll get my two boards). lol

As a beginner.

Can I hi-jack this thread for a moment and ask is it better to spray track with grime before ballast and then add weathering powder for diesel spill? Or ballast, grime, rust to tracks and powders to finish?

I don't know.:blink:

Mark

thanks for the comments guys, hopefully I'll be able to do it a bit more to it regulalrly, now that my work has settled a bit. any pointers on making bushes? I've got packs of Woodland scenics bushes and clump foliage in varying shades so hopefully have a crack at it later in the week

Hi folks

Sorry but my project is another TMD/stabling point : ) At Mossend yard, there is a headshunt which passes under the main road to a disused siding although the terminal it served is still active. I have made an assumption that the siding was lifted and a small stabling point built with a single road inspection shed and a couple of sidings.

The layout started as a diorama to photograph loco's and wagons but I then wanted to light it/power it for DCC work and now it has become a small layout to practice new techniques etc on whilst the trackplan for my main layout is finalised.

The "baseboards" are an old two tier pc desk that was going to be thrown out, time is a ittle tight tonight so I'll upload some pics tomorrow

have a happy new year

Jason

No need for apologies.....smile.gif Keep up the good work - good to see you have sourced local knowledge and adapted to suit.

• 1 year later...

well its been I dont know how long but finally getting the layout going again. However, one thing that started bugging me was there weren't any running lines that I could use to extend the layout soa found a 4x2 offcut of MDF from a diy project and started messing around with trackplans, in particular Peterborough & Millerhill tmds. So, can a TMD on approach toa yard and block freights be modelled in a short space? Lets see. Proposed track plan, although I'm thinking of putting a crossover at the end closest to the camera with signals for operational interest. and I do have other diesles than 66s lol, these are my longest though and being used for sizing purposes, and the 3 way point is being used purely as a space saver

post-8301-0-86100700-1360501235_thumb.jpg

Finally got a bit of time tonight so got he cork glued down, just needs trimmed to suit. Also changed the trackplan slightly. The shed road and the one behind it will now carry on through to the fiddle yard, so that when the layout is extended I can add a headshut for running round the shed. Also added a crossover on the running lines, which will have a 2 aspect signal controlling it. Should get some time over the weekend to get track wired and ballasting started. I've also tried some quick pics of viewpoints I'd like

post-8301-0-94313300-1360873215_thumb.jpg

post-8301-0-00519200-1360873239_thumb.jpg

post-8301-0-40146500-1360873266_thumb.jpg

Cheers class 66 I've bought some Viessmann spotlights to replace the moulded ones, and intend to light th einterior aswell and add some detailing inside. Time isnt always on my side so I bought the Bachmann shed as I def dont have time to scratchbuild one.

Well unfortunately, track laying hit a snag tonight, as I have run out of insulated rail joiners for the points, could swear I had more! I'm going to order a few other bits n pieces at the same time but before I do what lights would be best for inside the shed & pit? I was going to use grain of wheat bulbs for the ceiling lights but not sure about the pit. Also which powered 2 aspect signals are decent?

Jason

The other advantage is they come in so many shapes and colours now, they can imitate virtualy any lighting condition.

The advantage with the strips is that they are supplied with variable resistors which gives great adjustment of the intensity you want..

You're welcome to ask as many questions as you like. If I can't answer one, there are plenty of others on here who can.

Duncan

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks,

I havent done much to the layout since my previous post as we had a family situation, however now that the worst of it is over and I managed to pick some bits n pieces up at Model Rail Scotland on Sunday, work should recommence this week

Archived