Kempenfelt's P4 Workbench

Thank you Bryn for resurrecting this thread, I thought i'd successfully managed to kill it off months ago!!! :derisive: I guess I ought to congatulate you on being the 100th post on my thread though!

Thank you Tim for coming to my defense, much appreciated!! :thankyou:

Anyway since you asked Bryn, this is what is currently on my WB!!

post-1606-0-30539200-1334872623_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately it's got nothing to do with modelling and is in fact revision for my CIMA exams at the end of May! With mock exams starting this coming Monday it's unlikely you'll see any progress from me over the next 6 weeks.

Modelling wise I haven't been completely useless, but it has only been minor progress. Firstly the Jinty had a successful test session circumnavigating Tim's Clutton back in February. The success of this is very much down to my friend Morgan who took the plunge and decided to be a bit more forgiving with my previously precision fit tolerances. As my first chassis i'm use to all the advice about reducing as much slop as possible. However upon reaching this stage I found myself very tentative about opening out the holes in the coupling rods for the crank pins, worried about going too far and creating excessive slop! It still requires one finally buzz bar bracket to be fixed beneath the bunker and a proper deep clean, but the finish line is in sight and it shouldn't require too much work before entering the paint shops!

post-1606-0-16605800-1334873146_thumb.jpg

post-1606-0-28203400-1334873692_thumb.jpg

I have also attended several show this year already in various capacities. The first being the Leamington and Warwick show at Stoneleigh showground back in January representing the Scalefour society where I was demonstarting. To try and give a slightly professional feel to the stand, I burnt the midnight oil to produce a reasonable display stand by modifying a Lakeland spice rack. I didn't get round to spraying the display track until the Friday night in the hotel car park!! :D

Before

post-1606-0-58997200-1334874235_thumb.jpg

After

post-1606-0-51898900-1334875937_thumb.jpg

(Stock is to the credit of Barrow Road (Robin))

I've also managed to build a couple more of the excellent Craig Welsh RCH 9ft chassis's. I'm sure people have seen more than enough pictures of these over the past few years on Craig's thread, so I won't bore you with any further pics (besides which I don't think i've actually taken any!). Of course none of these are finished, however there are now 4 wagons standing on their wheels.

I also decided scraping roof detail off of RTR roof's was much more preferable to studying, so I've completed 3 Bachmann Mk1 roofs and started to remove the rain strips from a Hornby Maunsell. The problem with the former of the over prominent ribs is well known, however the Hornby Maunsell's are absolutely excellent, however its just a shame that they modelled the roof's of the S&D set 390 with 2 rain strips as oppose to the 1 that it should have had. This is the same for any of the sets in the 390-399 range, however you could always renumber the coaches to represent one set from the 445-448 range if you'd prefer.......................or turn a blind eye!! I obviously enjoy the punishment that accompanies the quest for accuracy!!

Finally I had previously tried to convert a Hornby Van C to P4 using the 'as designed' simple compensation, however this proved to be unsuccessful with far too much friction experienced. This was most likely due to the replacement wheelsets having a more slender axle, therefore giving the wheelset the chance to twist. To overcome this I took the plunge and decided to modify the chassis to accept the Bill Bedford sprung units. I wanted to preserve the moulded brakegear pips, so a little bit more thought than usual as to what plastic could be cut away. The reason for doing this is that I should now be able to disconnect the brakegear and remove the wheelsets without having to cutaway the very nicely moulded brakegear. In reality the extra work will probably never be used in anger...........................however I will need to finish it before I can actually prove this argument!

post-1606-0-52692700-1334876446_thumb.jpg

post-1606-0-63329100-1334876522_thumb.jpg

post-1606-0-28704700-1334876718_thumb.jpg

Anyway, all of the above should be available to inspect at closer quarters at the RMWeb event at Taunton in just over a weeks time! This does however depend on how much real ale I am forced to consume in the 36hrs before hand!!! I am after all going to be in particularly suspect company during this time and I can no way guarantee the condition that i'll be in! :drink_mini:

In the meantime it's back to the books.............................

Cheer's for now!

Paul

Oh, I forgot to mention the 2 Dave Bradwell LNER fitted 10ft chassis's I've been working on!! Admittedly I did start the first one quite a while ago! These will be used under the recent Bachmann LNER van body's which are excellent, and IMHO don't suffer as much from the over emphasized grooving of the planking which I feel lets down some of the BR wagons.

post-1606-0-11594100-1334878043_thumb.jpg

post-1606-0-07166700-1334878175_thumb.jpg

Right and that's my lot!!!

Top revision induced procrastination Paul, you seem to get more done when you're not supposed to! That Jinty does look fantastic, it really is a job well done. Now get back to your revision, for every mark under a higher pass grade will be an ale related punishment! Need I remind you of Craig's birthday drink?

Yours sincerely,

Suspect Company

OMG...an update...faints!! :stinker:

Good to see your still 'active' mate. Good luck with the CIMA exams, third and final year? Think of the money!!

I like the display unit very well thought out. We'll need something like that for Cardiff this year for the society stand.

Mike

Archived