Farish Cl. 47

HealeyMills

I had a pre-order for Greyfriars Bobby which I cancelled. Try as I might this model is very difficult to get enthusiastic about unlike the Class 37, Deltic, and Class 31 that came before it. Most reviews read fairly cool to me too, so the Class 47 won't be finding it's way onto my layout after all. It's a pity because from years ago my Minitrix Class 47s were my favourite runners.

The only good thing about this latest Farish 47 is the option for the single Long Range Fuel Tank, unlike the combination Long Range Fuel Tank on the previous 47474 release

I can see me acquiring a few of these chassis over the next few years, until Farish make another release

As far as I can work out they don't even have another Class 47 release lined up for next year!

The model of 47474 does not have long range fuel tanks, these were boiler water tanks, which many 47/4 retained even after the boilers had been isolated or even removed

There are two similar versions, specific to 47474 it was a water tank

Therefore I have always called them combination Long Range Fuel Tank

Equally, the Long Range Fuel Tank was a modification of this

• RMweb Premium

It would be nice to see another run of a more generic class 47/4 in large logo (I missed out on a 47535 first time round) plus at least one in Railfreight large logo and sector triple grey. Guess it's just a waiting game …

It would be nice to see another run of a more generic class 47/4 in large logo

plus at least one in Railfreight large logo and sector triple grey

Guess it's just a waiting game …

Looks like it will be at least 2017 then

I've got so fed up of waiting I have now selected specific locos and started sending them for repainting

Yes, it is expensive, but I get exactly what I want

Base model (47612 or 47474) £65

Postage £10

Repaint £85

I also have some older models and over time they too will be replaced, so they may appear on eBay UK eventually

These are all Scottish based Large Logo Blue (DCC fitted)

Agree with the sentiment about a large logo 47 being required. The model of 535 was useless for conversion to other large logo machines as it had plated over headcodes both ends. I can only think of 458 and 614 it can be re-numbered to, I've renumbered mine to 47614, with a bit of messing about removing ariels etc.

I note that in 4mm 47436 has been announced, hopefully they will follow suit in N, but also RF1 - R4 have not been done yet in 2mm so a lot of ground to cover still by Bachmann...

The Inverness repaints (e.g 47118, 47467, but you need to check phots to see what is possible with water tanks, plated over headcodes etc) with a blue roof are probably easier to convert from the next batch of plain blue models if you want a loco re-painted to large logo.

Cheers,

Paul

The Inverness repaints (e.g 47118, 47467, but you need to check phots to see what is possible with water tanks, plated over headcodes etc) with a blue roof are probably easier to convert from the next batch of plain blue models if you want a loco re-painted to large logo.

You need to be willing to compromise on no sealed beam headlight

For Large Logo Blue that is a big compromise

As an example for renumbering and repainting 47404 (are there any others)

My (Scottish) list includes :

47448 Large Logo Blue

47519 Large Logo Blue

47550 Large Logo Blue

47563 Large Logo Blue

47586 Modified Large Logo Blue

• 2 weeks later...

Compared 47096 to earlier 47403--they appear identical; was there any visual difference between 47/0s and 47/4s, apart, maybe, from buffer-beam pipes?

You would need to compare photos, the only major differences between Class 47 locos would be on the roof (exhaust ports)

The buffer beam details should be the same, apart from the ETH socket and cable on 47403

The only other difference would be the steam heating pipe, but quickly looking at photos they are the same

• RMweb Premium

Compared 47096 to earlier 47403--they appear identical; was there any visual difference between 47/0s and 47/4s, apart, maybe, from buffer-beam pipes?

The main visual difference between any class 47 even adjacent numbers is what sort of steam heat boiler they had fitted ( if any ) as the different types had different shaped exhaust ports.

I stand to be corrected   :)

Your class 47 resource is http://www.class47.co.uk/ The Farish model has the Spanner MkIII boiler

Absolutely right about the main visual differences being the boiler ports.

To elaborate (apologies - nicked this from a reliable correspondent from an earlier thread on 47's on RM web!) - the Spanner boiler with the round port as fitted to 47096 could applies to D1500 to 1615 and D1682 to D1781 (the first batch being all  series parallel loco's).

It  probably wouldn't be too difficult with a little filler/plasticard to model one of the other batches such at the 47/3, which had the boiler space blanked off with a panel.

Hope this may be of use?

Paul.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Found my 47096 to need back to backs narrowed to stop it derailing through my Peco code 55 points. I've not had this problem before on current Chinese-made diesels--anyone else had this problem?

Also noted complete lack of grease on gears-- an omission or new development?

Found my 47096 to need back to backs narrowed to stop it derailing through my Peco code 55 points. I've not had this problem before on current Chinese-made diesels--anyone else had this problem?

I had a similar issue with my Dapol Class 66 DCC version models, through Code 80 points

Sparking was very visible on Setrack and on Streamline was shorting completely

All three were sent to Wickness models for investigation, which turned out to be the back to back gauge

Just received my ScotRail 47, (Gaugemaster reduced), very nice and a good enough match for the C&M mk3 coaches. Still needs a bit of lowering so need to find if theres a thread where anyones lowered one of this batch

Also noted complete lack of grease on gears-- an omission or new development?

I've just received two new 47096's in the post, and run them on my Code 80 test layout. The first has been run-in for about 90-100 minutes with no issues at all, the second one has had an hours running in, but derailed on points twice initially, seems to have been okay since. Obviously not tried it on Code 55 track as yet!

I do add a little model-grease to the gear-chain before running in. The gears seem to be oiled, but with quite a thin type of oil rather than a more viscous substance.

Having said that after a running in period these models do seems very quite compared with many other Farish models in my collection.

Cheers

Paul

Archived