Ultrascale BRITANNIA driving wheels

davefrk

• RMweb Gold

people are not really prepared to pay for high fidelity and top quality wheels such as Ultrascale    

The delivery timescale keeps drifting outwards, so either people are, or the core engineering business is expanding leaving less time for the modelling side of things?

Mike.

The delivery timescale keeps drifting outwards, so either people are, or the core engineering business is expanding leaving less time for the modelling side of things?

Mike.

Last year I ordered a set of 5'2 Wheels from Ultrascale and this year a set for an Aberdare, both P4. In each case the order was completed in less than two weeks. The website says orders may take up to 7 months, but this doesn't mean it won't it take less time.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

Doesn't apply to me. I have spent a fair amount with both, for products which look good under green engines. However, the stagnation of both ranges leaves my black engine kits wheel-less. Particularly in the case of Exactoscale wheels, I fear they have become divorced from the engineering expertise which would be needed to revive their prospects.

The Nim.

It's sometimes less the willingness to pay for quality as the ability. I'm still working my way out of a difficult patch over the last 2 years so I need to work on a very tight budget where hobby spending is concerned. If I was earning an amount that left sufficient disposable income, I'd be happy paying for Ultrascales. Admittedly it would mean some long-term planning for projected builds so you had the wheels when required! :-)

Dave. 

Serron's jig is a very nice idea. Ive been thinking about this but couldnt work out such a way.

Quick question. Im just about to set up my first set of Ultrascale drivers. Re the crankpins.

Do you gents secure the long crankpin tube to the wheel after you have screwed in the 14ba screw with an adhesive maybe?

Reason I ask is I can see the tube going missing whilst setting up the wheels for quartering and coupling rods.

I also thought maybe it could have been threaded on the inside?

Last year I ordered a set of 5'2 Wheels from Ultrascale and this year a set for an Aberdare, both P4. In each case the order was completed in less than two weeks. The website says orders may take up to 7 months, but this doesn't mean it won't it take less time....

Aren't you the lucky one? Mine took six months. The time lapse was long enough for my debit card to expire and for the bank to issue a new one. That went well.

Aren't you the lucky one? Mine took six months. The time lapse was long enough for my debit card to expire and for the bank to issue a new one. That went well.

If I decide to order a kit, I then place an order with Ultrascale. Very easy really. It may take 6 months for the wheel to arrive and be united with the kit but like you I have no shortage of other things to do in the meantime.

If one has the discipline to buy a kit and build it then the lead times may be an issue, but for those of us adding to an already existing wall of death I really do not see what the problem is.

Craig W

If I decide to order a kit, I then place an order with Ultrascale. Very easy really. It may take 6 months for the wheel to arrive and be united with the kit but like you I have no shortage of other things to do in the meantime.

If one has the discipline to buy a kit and build it then the lead times may be an issue, but for those of us adding to an already existing wall of death I really do not see what the problem is.

Speaking of walls of death, has any customer died in the interval between placing an order and the wheels turning up? There is always a possibility....

Archived