4mm Carriage Roof mouldings

MarkC

Years ago, Westward did roof mouldings, and these were very good. However, I've not seen 'em on sale for a long time, and I believe that they're long out of production. Can anyone suggest alternatives, or is anyone planning to introduce such an item into their own range?

Cheers

Mark

Hi MarkC,

By mouldings, I take it, you mean polystyrene plastic?, or aluminium extrusions ?. (I've not seen Westward's).

For a good, plastic,representaton of a latter day (1930s - '60s) eliptical roof, you could always resort to that of the old, cheap, second-hand Triang / Hornby Mk.1, or as a separate item P100a from http://www.southernpridemodels.co.uk/ or items C517 / C571 from http://www.247develo..._detailing.html

Apart from BR. Mk.1s, they can be good for LSWR 'Ironclads', Maunsells (better than the Ian Kirk offering), Bulleids,and, possibly Staniers and Thompsons.

For aluminium, there's part C10 coach accessory from http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/

Regards.

Long ago a member of the LSWR Circle use to do various arc roof radi, I have just used up my last one of 53mm. I believe he had wooden dowels of various diameters and used the kitchen oven to form the arc's....

I had the opportunity many years ago to buy up a load of the Ratio 50' arc roof mouldings for their LNWR and Mid Rly coaches, they are still being cut up or smoothed off for various 50' or less stock and vans.

Eliptical roofs are a different matter - I seem to have various ali. extruded mouldings in the 'spares' box, but their origins are lost in the mist of time - they were obtained at exhibitions from the 'scrap' boxes some retailers have at times, not much help though if you have a deadline for a model to be completed by.

Extruded aluminium roofs.....

I believe the first extruded roofs were done at the behest of Peter Chatham for his PC Models coach kits. Such roofs are produced by the half mile or so (Geoff at Comet will know better than I). The eliptical roofs were intended for LNWR and LMS coaches. They were also marketted by Stevenson coaches, Jackson-Evans, 247 Developments and Wheel Tappers. This extrusion is still very much alive and available.

Peter also had roof profiles extruded for LNWR Cove and two variants of LSWR low eliptical. We purchased a large quantity of these roofs when Wheeltappers were selling up and they may now be sold out.

Comet did their own extruded roof and this is still very much available.

JMT, now Dart Castings, have a neat extrusion for the LNER Gresley roof. This differs from all other roofs in not having rebates to fit between the sides. It sits on top of the sides. A groove down the middle assists in placing roof vents.

Sadly the South Western Circle seems to have run out of their useful plastic roofs. MJT/Dart do a couple of aluminium profiles, LNER and, I think, BR. Coopercraft also do these in plastic, as well as being able to supply the roof from the GWR Monster kit.

Just a note about the Coopercraft Mk.1 roof:

I was recently pleased to unearth a mostly-built Coopercraft "SK" that I thought had been chucked out by mistake a couple of years ago. The roof moulding has MJT cast ventilators on it, and being a relatively new moulding when I bought the kit, fitted almost perfectly, with very little raggedness.

Compare that to the "CK" I have also been slowly building from the same source. This may have been from a later batch - the roof moulding on this one as supplied is quite ragged around the ends, and doesn't quite match the coach ends. I wonder if that's a sign that the moulding tools are wearing out already? Am thinking about substituting it with one of the MJT Mk.1 extruded aluminium roofs.

Archived