Railway Modeller - February 2011

Mike Bellamy

• RMweb Premium

A good issue for me - as there are three 7mm Narrow Gauge articles :lol:

Actually two of these could be said to cover any gauge or scale and so please don't let that comment put you off :rolleyes:

The first of these is our own DLT showing the buildings for his layout Bridport Town - as seen at the NEC last month.

Secondly, Paul Holmes shows how he got both sound and smoke effects in the locos on his O14 layout Dinas 1869 - this also features the products of Port Wynnstay Models - our own Phil Traxson.

The third Narrow Gauge offering is Sand Hutton built by Peter Kazer based on the 18 inch line in Yorkshire - modelled in 1/4 inch scale 1:48 it is almost all scratch built.

Now back to the rest of the magazine - - - - -

Railway of the Month is Blandford Forum in 4mm OO 1948-1966

Scale drawings of Stanley Station on the Methley Joint Railway (never heard of it - it's in Yorkshire)

Plan of the Month is linked to the above article as it is Stanley Station.

Yeoford Junction 4mm EM Edwardian LSWR

Building an EM1 - part 3 - casting resin parts

Facelift for an Airfix wagon - our own PMP gets to work on a fleet of 16 ton mineral wagons

Georgemas Junction 4mm OO Scotland in 1997-2004

Holm 4mm OO GWR branchline

Part 5 of building signals

News and Reviews

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Nice one Paul - sorry I didn't credit you as a member here. I spotted a few familiar names like DLT and PMP :D

Interesting to see that I was praising the Narrow Gauge articles and Kevin Trim is part of your team - his kit of the Welshpool loco Earl/Countess is superb as illustrated here on David's Bridport layout http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/1956-when-countess-visited-bridport-town/

Mike

Nice one Paul - sorry I didn't credit you as a member here. I spotted a few familiar names like DLT and PMP :D

Interesting to see that I was praising the Narrow Gauge articles and Kevin Trim is part of your team - his kit of the Welshpool loco Earl/Countess is superb as illustrated here on David's Bridport layout http://www.rmweb.co....-bridport-town/

Mike

That's OK, can't praise Kevin enough, he's the best all round railway modeller I know, he's helped me a lot on my new layout at home, has 'bespoke' built my controllers, my control panel top engraving, now helping me with my LNWR L/Q signals.

See

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/suppliers/430-Dorset_Kits

That's unfortunate - it sounds like one of those rare issues that I won't be buying a copy of; just a little too narrow in content for my taste and no mention of N gauge. I'll have to have a flick through at Smiffies or Tescos reading rooms for further consideration.

G.

That's unfortunate - it sounds like one of those rare issues that I won't be buying a copy of; just a little too narrow in content for my taste and no mention of N gauge. I'll have to have a flick through at Smiffies or Tescos reading rooms for further consideration.

G.

Funny you should say that, back in October, after our model railway show in Blandford I was waiting for some one to comment on the fact that there wasn't a N-gauge layout*, after 1,000 through the door - nothing, ah well as long as the model railway mags cater for the majority. :)

* Wasn't deliberate, just there was nothing decent available for that weekend.

• RMweb Premium

G.

Are you sure - I would have thought that with 5 layouts featured everyone should be able to learn something or at least gain a bit of inspiration. There are also articles about building construction, weathering techniques and how to get DCC sound and smoke effects into small locos.

As you must appreciate from my initial comments, my interest is in 7mm Narrow Gauge but I still buy the Modeller every month. Is your use of the word 'narrow' because I mentioned that there were three articles - but you will see that only one is actually a layout review.

I know from when I was editor of our Association newsletter that you can only publish what others send to you and if you want more N Gauge featured then I would suggest that you get the N Gauge Society to encourage their members to contact Steve Flint with suitable articles.

Mike

Are you sure

I'm not sure, that's why I said I'd need to check/flick through to confirm and consider (whether it was worth spending money on).

I know from when I was editor of our Association newsletter that you can only publish what others send to you and if you want more N Gauge featured then I would suggest that you get the N Gauge Society to encourage their members to contact Steve Flint with suitable articles.

I can assure you that I'm one of those who regularly submit and contribute to the commercial press, and encourage others, especially NGS members, to do likewise.

G.

Georgemas Jn should be worth a read - it is one of George Woodcock's excellent layouts and should be good.

Cheers, Mike

Yep, it is longer than all of his other layouts put together, i should know as i helped George set it up for the photo shoot.

If anyone is coming to Model Rail Glasgow in February, drop by and say hello as it will be its debut show.

• RMweb Gold

Another cracking issue with lots of narrow gauge, two good Southern layouts and some modern image for me plus more besides so it seems pretty balanced.

Buildings are coming on a treat since I last saw it Paul, really is a credit to the whole working group. :)

• RMweb Gold

I have to say this is one of those editions that has surprised me. I flicked through it last week and my initial impression was similar to Grahame's. However, the must buy railway modeller gene kicked in and I asked my wife to pick it up at the weekend anyway.

I'm glad I did as having sat down for an hour with it yesterday, I think Sand Hutton is a great layout, Georgemas is one of those simple layouts that really appeals and Stanley station made for a good read and a track plan idea stored for the future.

I also read PMPs article given what was said above in this thread and did actually think thought I could try that.

in the letters page of this months mag was a letter complaining that the flag on the boy scouts camp in a previous issue model was upside down scouts were taught that a unioin flag flown upside down was a sighn that there was a problem in the camp .no doubt they saw the author of the letter approaching and quickly signaled for help .

all joking apart i find this sort of "rivett counting" to be demoralising to those who have put a lot of time and effort into creating something that gives a lot of people a lot of pleasure ,do these critics ever produce a model if so i would like to see its total perfection ,or are they the model club pundits who drink more tea talk loudly and produce nothing

your thoughts

• RMweb Gold

Maybe the scouts were in trouble! or they put it up upside down to see if the Pack leader noticed? As with all who just criticise ask to see the pictures of their perfect layout for inspiration ;)

I'm suppose they publish such as they consider it may be of useful reference possibly for others.

At least if you spot an error on a forum a polite critic can pm the builder to ask if was intentional first,

in the letters page of this months mag was a letter complaining that the flag on the boy scouts camp in a previous issue model was upside down scouts were taught that a unioin flag flown upside down was a sighn that there was a problem in the camp .no doubt they saw the author of the letter approaching and quickly signaled for help .

all joking apart i find this sort of "rivett counting" to be demoralising to those who have put a lot of time and effort into creating something that gives a lot of people a lot of pleasure ,do these critics ever produce a model if so i would like to see its total perfection ,or are they the model club pundits who drink more tea talk loudly and produce nothing

your thoughts

I just feel sorry for the poor saddo's that dont have anything better to do with their time.

Archived