Caledonian Area Group...

Bob Reid

• RMweb Gold

Nah, it's my turn next week! ;) When I retire, I will probably cross the border again too. Not far over though as I'm only a few miles from the borders area I'd want to live in anyway!

Anywhere with a proper fireplace and a woodburner will do - energy security and all that! :D

Good luck with your 'Plan A', Russ, make yourself known in these parts if it all goes to plan!

:icon_thumbsup2:

Dave.

Well.......

It this part of it has gone to plan, I kept shtum about what it was because its a fairly high profile building.

Our offer has now been accepted by the present owner, we now move onto the business side of it and need approving by the business, which should be ok according to there guidelines.

Anywhere with a proper fireplace
we can definitely trump that! I'll drop you a PM but I'll give the chance to let the penny drop in the meantime?

• RMweb Gold

Never mind your panniers... how can I legitimately run a GWR Dean goods on a Scottish steam-era layout, alongside a SR Z class tank? ;)

Edit - so I canna mention that you've bought Stirling Castle Russ?

I wish! the euromillions didnt show tonight friends,

No but the stone of the building we are buying was (officially) nicked from the castle of the town!

- some of you with a local historian sense ought ot know were we are now?

-shut your wheesht or whatever it was Jamie!!- its a quiz and you already know the answer! :lol: :lol:

• RMweb Gold

Driven by some of your comments I have been searching for panniers in Scotland photos and I found this, if anyone is interested

http://www.helmsdale.org/station.html

(I could not get this to work so you will have to do it yourselves by copying and pasting the link into Google, which is well worth it)

Stockie

...........GW pannier tanks, 1646 and 1649, photographed slightly north of Ebbw Vale, at Helmsdale, almost certainly taken in 1962. These two locos were sent to the far North allegedly to work the Mound to Dornoch Branch, but if the truth was known they were only sent there to make life difficult for Western region train spotters to clear the 16xx class of locos.....

:D :D... priceless!

Guest Max Stafford

Never mind your panniers... how can I legitimately run a GWR Dean goods on a Scottish steam-era layout, alongside a SR Z class tank? ;)

Well, I suppose the Cairnryan line circa 1944 has potential for such eccentricities...!

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Yep, the Military railway.

Prize is... the satisfaction of knowing you got it right.

I also seem to remember that the Faslane Railway also may have used Z Class Tanks (and maybe Dean Goods...?). Can anyone confirm this? (The irony is I am writing this from my office here in Faslane and I seem to remember an article at home in British Railway Journal or similar!)

Gus

I also seem to remember that the Faslane Railway also may have used Z Class Tanks (and maybe Dean Goods...?). Can anyone confirm this? (The irony is I am writing this from my office here in Faslane and I seem to remember an article at home in British Railway Journal or similar!)

Gus

British Railway Journal No.43 (Autumn 1992).

O.S. Nock quotes an interesting letter from Inverness in December 1915 in his book on the Highland Railway:

"We've got on loan 7 N.E. engines t of them goods 0-6-0 Fletcher class with steam brakes, and 1 0-4-4 tank, also Fletcher. This shunts at Invergordon and took the place of a 0-4-4 G.N. of Scotland tank which was wanted back at Aberdeen. We have 7 C.R. Engines Goods, one of them 4-6-0 from Callander and Oban Rly. No.56 Perhaps you will know it. 2 N.B.R. engines Holmes goods reboilered by Mr Reid and 3 L. & N.W. Webb, 2 of them 0-6-0 17" x 24", 5 ft. wheel and 1 - 2-4-0, 17" x 24", 6 ft. 6 in. Precedent Class named "Auditor" which runs the 9.50am relief to Tain as the regular 9.50 to Wick never leaves before 11.30 am owing to the south connection being so late."

There's also a photo of an L & SWR Adams 4-4-2 tank and the Fletcher 0-4-4 BTP tank at Blair Atholl returning south at the end of the war. If memory serves me there were also a couple of Stroudley Terriers at Invergordon although I think they were Admiralty ones rather than borrowed.

Posted Today, 20:58 In Wheeltappers and Shunters

I was reading another thread...in The CAG about railways in the north of Scotland.

I have my own opinions (not so popular, I think, about the social need for railways)

then, today, I was reading intensely about the far north line and how the dyook (sorry about the spelling) wanted a private railway (and stations, and Hornby Locos named after him) for his own reasons, and he got his way.

Now, there is a debate about how to shortcut his line and create a straighter one and how the fact that his line made possible a (nationsaving?) line between Portsmouth and Orkney which would not have existed before him. I was wondering what people think about this sort of serendipidy (or was it foreknowledge) and what it means for the future of railways in general.

It is all Googleable in far north line and duke of sutherland private railway etc.

I would love to know what you all think about this.

Stockie

Posted Today, 20:58 In Wheeltappers and Shunters

I was reading another thread...in The CAG about railways in the north of Scotland.

I have my own opinions (not so popular, I think, about the social need for railways)

then, today, I was reading intensely about the far north line and how the dyook (sorry about the spelling) wanted a private railway (and stations, and Hornby Locos named after him) for his own reasons, and he got his way.

Now, there is a debate about how to shortcut his line and create a straighter one and how the fact that his line made possible a (nationsaving?) line between Portsmouth and Orkney which would not have existed before him. I was wondering what people think about this sort of serendipidy (or was it foreknowledge) and what it means for the future of railways in general.

It is all Googleable in far north line and duke of sutherland private railway etc.

I would love to know what you all think about this.

Stockie

You won't make friends with the Mods Stockie - posting the same question twice!

Either way, I'm not sure what the question is?

It is over there now.

I am sorry that you found the reference inappropriate.

I thought it was distinctly Caledonian and said I did not think it was appropriate to discuss here but thought some here might be interested in looking there.

Sorry I drew your wrath for that.

Thanks,

Stockie

Oops that touched a raw nerve :rolleyes:

It was over there before Stockie - so what's the difference? All you had to do was post a link here, not (accidentally perhaps) create a second topic because of a lack of response on the first one. It was only a bit of friendly advice however feel free to ignore it.

I was more confused by the question and it was an honest attempt to try and understand what it was you were trying to say - which of course could be entirely my fault.

Link now provided. As Bob says, we don't encourage double posting as such, for the good and simple reason that it can result in threads attracting duplicate or parallel responses (which helps nobody). The thread concerned has also been moved to the Prototype forum rather than W&S, which is marked clearly enough as 'non-railway'.

Cheers.

Now here comes a quandry..should I ask it here (because it is Caledonian and someone here is likely to know) or should I ask it in the Help Forum (where most people don't have an interest or clue)

Well....there in a nutshell is why I did not become a Systems Analyst/Programmer in the early 80's?

How does that work here?

I think I found it easier in the old forum though that is not necessarily a criticism

Any help is welcome

Stockie

Now here comes a quandry..should I ask it here (because it is Caledonian and someone here is likely to know) or should I ask it in the Help Forum (where most people don't have an interest or clue)

Any help is welcome

Um. I just tried to help you, but you evidently know better.

Funnily enough, I did actually consider what you've just said *before* I suggested what I did. That's just my opinion of course and you can take it or leave it, but you are being pretty dismissive of the many members who routinely look in there for questions that they can help with. :huh:

Archived